Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,036 of 3,454
Received a message from Zach at AS. Apparently my parcel shipped today and I'll have it in 1 or 2. Hope that's true!

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,037 of 3,454
Also, quick FYI in case you didn't know, after the package leaves the US the tracker switches over to Canada Post so you won't get any further notifications from the USPS tracker.

I've done quite a bit of shipping to and from the US in the 12 years I've been a member so I'm aware of the ins and outs. Unless it's changed recently that would also be dependant on the shipping method. Most times USPS's tracking will still work but Canada Post's is more accurate and/or detailed.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,038 of 3,454
Finally got mine today! Haven't really been able to listen yet, but man, I'm just excited to have 'em here!!

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,041 of 3,454
Mine was a supersteal, blue TiN, black cable, no mic.

EDIT: I also got the Otter Box with mine. Considerably smaller than the ASG-2 case, going to be interesting to see if it will work... 

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,042 of 3,454
  anyone who has received theirs who wasn't an early bird backer? kind of wanting a guestimate of when i might get mine.

They should all ship before the end of August. They're planning another Kickstarter with the date aimed at September 4th. NAMM teased Auris. Not going to go into details but it may or may not be the cup of tea for some people here, but if it's for you, it'll be big. Anyways, let's not digress from the topic too much, that should work as a shipping guestimate. Everything should be out the door before September.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,045 of 3,454
A couple of random (and way too early) notes: 

Disclaimer: if burn-in is real, then these haven't even been warmed in the microwave yet. I just picked them up this afternoon and have barely an hour of listening on them. As such, my impressions below are of only the most limited utility. I post 'em because I'd want somebody to post something if I didn't have mine-- but don't think they're in any way comprehensive. Which means I fully reserve the right to completely contradict anything and everything I've written below. 

tongue.gif

1. As a reminder, I have the blue TiN, black cable, no mic. 
  2. I dig the small, simple, but quality presentation of the tin, leather pouch, Otter Box, and tips (all in the same 'Made in the USA' baggies that came with the ASG-2). Says "well done," but not "overdone." 
  3. The silicone tips that come on the Rockets stock are definitely different, material-wise, than any tips I've encountered before. They seem to make a real seal with the ear, to the point that the flange will actually pull inside out sometimes if you aren't careful on removal. (I think if they both got pulled out at once my eyeballs would probably be sucked four inches back into my skull). Thus far, they've been exceptionally comfortable, and I'm guessing I'll end up needing the smaller tips (as I always do, because apparently I have baby ear canals or something), but they're still comfortable with the standard size. Impressive. 
  4. The 3.5mm plug seems a bit big, but it definitely inspires confidence in the build. 
  5. The cable has a nice feel to it, but has that dark grayish, not-quite-black coloration some black rubbery materials have. Not a big deal to me, just an observation. 
  6. The cable is waaay to microphonic to be worn straight down IMO. Switched to around-the-ear and it's much better thus far. 
  7. I've been primarily listening to the ER-4PT recently, as I just got a set, and I have been pretty much floored by how much I'm loving them thus far. This also means that the ER-4PT will color my experience with the Rockets. Initially, I found the treble to be a slightly damped, but I think this is only in comparison to the ER-4PT, which is known for having a treble-happy sound. After listening a bit more, cymbals have a nice tone to them (which is one of the ways I differentiate good treble from bad-- a lot of IEMs seem to have really splashy, static-y cymbals, which sound pretty cruddy). The more I listen, the more I like 'em. 
  8. The sound does seem to be well-balanced, but not in that HD650/Harrison Bergeron "nothing stands out because everything is held back" kind of way. (I don't care for the HD650). 
  9. Bass seems punchy when in the vicinity of rock-n-roll kickdrums. Seems a bit rolled-off with the sub-bass as I listen to Badbadnotgood III from the Lynx Hilo's HPA, but I suppose that could change with time/burn-in/whatever.
  10. Guitar texture seems above average, but not on par with the ASG-2, unsurprisingly. (The ASG-2 is probably the best I've ever heard in that regard). Still, good!
  11. Isolation seems pretty good-- haven't compared it to the Etys yet, but so far, I'm pleased. 
  12. The little plastic collars that identify the right and left channels aren't held in place and just kind of slide up and down the cable, which could be better implemented I think. Not a deal-breaker by any means. 
  13. I'm not much on soundstage, but I will say these sound impressively out-of-the-head when the music calls for it. I'd be interested to hear what others (who value soundstage more highly) have to say about it. 
  14. It seems to strike a really nice balance between detail and a smooth sound signature. I personally gravitate towards a lot of detail and texture, but I don't find the sound of these objectionable at all-- kind of the opposite, at least thus far. 
  15. Tonality seems really good, and that's one of my biggest concerns, so I'm pretty happy thus far here. 
  16. Drums sound really good on this...  You can easily hear where each drum is located in reference to the others. 
  17. Both the Otter Box and the leather case seem a bit on the small side... Haven't had a chance to really use them yet, obviously, and they may very well be perfectly fine, but that's my initial impression. 
  18. The blue color looks pretty good! 

Overall? As I said, it's waaaaay too early to be making any definitive statements... But at this juncture, at least, daddy's happy!

beerchug.gif

(Before anybody takes anything here too seriously, make sure you go back and read this disclaimer-- these are impressions for the sake of impressions, and more for fun than anything conclusive about the Rockets themselves. In other words, I reserve the right to weasel out of anything I've said here. Ha!)

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,046 of 3,454
  A couple of random (and way too early) notes: 

Disclaimer: if burn-in is real, then these haven't even been warmed in the microwave yet. I just picked them up this afternoon and have barely an hour of listening on them. As such, my impressions below are of only the most limited utility. I post 'em because I'd want somebody to post something if I didn't have mine-- but don't think they're in any way comprehensive. Which means I fully reserve the right to completely contradict anything and everything I've written below. 

Here's what I've learned after some good time with the ROCKETS and from my time at Aurisonics:

1. They need time to grow on you
    1. When you listen to other IEMs & headphones you adjust to the sound signature, same thing is needed for ROCKETS
      1. I put this here as the "adjust" time for the ROCKETS was waaay longer for me then most other IEMs/headphones. Where it took me an hour to readjust to the ASG sig it took me like 10+ to get fully used to the ROCKETS. When I did though, I fell in love.
  2. Cable needs a little use to feel it's best.
    1. I've toyed around with the cables both fresh and used. What I tend to notice is the cable's feel does improve a bit as it gets used more.
      1. Note I'm using the clear white cable, though it shouldn't make much of a difference as it's the same cable underneath the polyurethane jacket.
  3. The sliding Oring issue happened because the Orings arrived after most of the IEM was built. The Orings are made to size for the cable and when you stretch it to go over the titanium shell, you get fit issues. It's unfortunate, but it costs a lot to remake the ROCKETS. Newer ones shouldn't have this issue. Dale was thinking of applying super glue to the Oring to stop the issue but it seems like he didn't.
  4. Tips
    1. The SureSeal tips aren't silicone so of course they don't feel like silicone tips
      1. They are made of a thermoplastic elastomer. (I'm allowed to say this because it was on the brochure that they were handing out at NAMM so the secret's kinda out anyways. I'll let you chemical techies tell me what that is though).

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,047 of 3,454

They should all ship before the end of August. They're planning another Kickstarter with the date aimed at September 4th. NAMM teased Auris. Not going to go into details but it may or may not be the cup of tea for some people here, but if it's for you, it'll be big. Anyways, let's not digress from the topic too much, that should work as a shipping guestimate. Everything should be out the door before September.

as long as i get them by august 25th, i'll be happy. but i might have to buy some beater earphones if not because my re-400's are cutting out in the left earpiece now.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,048 of 3,454

Well if Aurisonics' plan is to go forward it'll have to be.

wow somehow i totally missed your comment before mine haha!

Also, I can't wait to see their new KS campaign.  I'm gonna guess it's wireless buds of some kind, since Dale said after this whole cable fiasco they'll either make them in house or go wireless.  
I'd love to see a hybrid wireless, but if the battery is dying you can plug in cables like normal earphones and keep using them type-thing.

I'll wait :p

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,049 of 3,454
  wow somehow i totally missed your comment before mine haha!

Also, I can't wait to see their new KS campaign.  I'm gonna guess it's wireless buds of some kind, since Dale said after this whole cable fiasco they'll either make them in house or go wireless.  
I'd love to see a hybrid wireless, but if the battery is dying you can plug in cables like normal earphones and keep using them type-thing.

I'll wait :p

Let me digress from the thread quickly and post this pic from NAMM...

Go here if you want to go nuts: http://www.head-fi.org/t/606471/aurisonics-impressions-reviews-discussions-thread
Let's not derail the thread.
I will now shut up before I completely derail the thread. Though if you want to go nuts feel free to do so on the general Aurisonics thread.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,050 of 3,454
Here's what I've learned after some good time with the ROCKETS and from my time at Aurisonics:

• They need time to grow on you
    • When you listen to other IEMs & headphones you adjust to the sound signature, same thing is needed for ROCKETS
      • I put this here as the "adjust" time for the ROCKETS was waaay longer for me then most other IEMs/headphones. Where it took me an hour to readjust to the ASG sig it took me like 10+ to get fully used to the ROCKETS. When I did though, I fell in love.

• I'm curious, you've mentioned this a few times already. What phones were you coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back