Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #1,066 of 3,454
To anyone at Aurisonics:

I recommend you guys send Joker (head-fi / innerfidelity / theheadphonelist) a review unit when u guys get the chance. It will greatly help with exposure on these forums and solidify the Rockets as one of the best options for in-ear headphones. I honestly think these top the famed Audio Techinica CK10 (my past favorite iem) and may as well bump some customs off their spot on Joker's list. It seems silly to care about a list when sound is quite subjective to each reviewer, but that list does wonders for those first starting off on this site. That chart will show how much of a complete package the Rockets are in terms of build, accessories, sound, and value. 

Oh yea, and someone get mochill on this thread. He has mastered the art of the "hype." 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,067 of 3,454

Compare to isolation to your Etys please and let me know what you think. I need a pair of IEMs with top notch isolation and I'm wondering whether the rockets will do it all for me.

Vwinter basically nailed it. The Etys still isolate better than anything I've ever heard, and this is no exception. After a bit more listening time, I have noticed that it seems that the isolation is a bit more frequency-dependent with the Rockets-- and that is actually not a bad thing. I tend to use my IEMs in my car a lot (lot of road noise, as I spend my money on audio goobletygook instead of my car), and the Rockets tend to isolate almost as well there as my Etys. However, if I snap my fingers near my ear with my IEMs in, I can hear it more easily with the Rockets than with the Etys. The practical effect of this (to me, anyway) is the impression of excellent isolation with the ability to still hear some things more easily. I hope this makes sense! It should also be mentioned that I tend to listen at significantly lower levels than most people, so the effect of the isolation tends to be more pronounced with me, so tack on all the YMMV-ish qualifiers you can think of. 

To anyone at Aurisonics:

I recommend you guys send Joker (head-fi / innerfidelity / theheadphonelist) a review unit when u guys get the chance. It will greatly help with exposure on these forums and solidify the Rockets as one of the best options for in-ear headphones. I honestly think these top the famed Audio Techinica CK10 (my past favorite iem) and may as well bump some customs off their spot on Joker's list. It seems silly to care about a list when sound is quite subjective to each reviewer, but that list does wonders for those first starting off on this site. That chart will show how much of a complete package the Rockets are in terms of build, accessories, sound, and value. 

Oh yea, and someone get mochill on this thread. He has mastered the art of the "hype." 
tongue_smile.gif

Honestly, once the other orders start shipping out, I don't have a problem loaning him mine for a while (as I'll have another pair to use). I read Joker's massive review thread religiously when trying to determine which way to go with IEMs, and I ended up picking up a couple sets based on his recommendations. The only potential concern I would have about his review is that he tends (in my opinion) to equate elevated and/or peaky treble with higher levels of detail, almost to a fault, which could lead him to see the Rockets as less detailed-- although they really aren't. I tend to prefer a slightly lit-up treble myself, but he seems to really go for the aggressively treble-centric IEMs (the DBA-02 comes to mind) that even tend to be too much for me. Again, JMO, etc. 

Ultimately, though, you're right: more reviews and data points are a good thing, and Joker should get a chance to listen and tell us what he thinks (as he may be the most experienced IEM listener on the planet right now, no kidding). My note above is just a brief moment of hesitation based on what I perceive as his preference versus the sound signature of the Rockets, and considering how much I dig Aurisonics as a company and the Rockets themselves, I wouldn't want someone with different listening priorities to miss out on them based on a review that might not cater to their strengths. 

Just to be clear: this is not in any way a criticism of Joker at all-- all reviewers have preferences, and having some idea of what they are can help readers to locate reviewers who tend to align more closely with their listening priorities. Just like I absolutely respect Tyll's opinion on basically anything, but still read his stuff through the lens of his different priorities (he prefers a more laid-back, less treble-tipped sound than I do; he values soundstaging much more highly than I do, while I value tonality and texture more highly than he does, etc). And hey, if what I've said isn't an accurate reading of his preferences, then I'd be happy to be corrected. 

Man, that seems like a lot of words over a minor point... Damn us literature majors 
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,069 of 3,454
So... The whole "they really grow on you" thing is apparently true. I liked them before, a good bit-- but I wouldn't say I loved them, necessarily. But whether it's burn-in, aural acclimation, or something else entirely, it really seems like these have gotten better in the last day or so. There really is an impressive level of detail retrieval, and they are remarkably punchy when called for. They're also still incredibly comfortable, which is nice. they also scale well-- the jump in SQ from my S3's headphone out to my portable rig was not subtle. 

These things are really pretty amazing... 

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,070 of 3,454
I got mine earlier today. It took very little in the way of acclimatizing as they reminded me of the Tenore. Still, coming from the LAB I, the sig is thinner and doesn't pack quite as much of a wallop. Transitioning between the two was pretty jarring haha. I echo the thoughts of those who are surprised by the bass. It's gonna be less than what you're accustomed to, I think. I think I could do with some more sub bass emphasis, and the mid bass could use a touch more body/sustain to fill it out as it sounds just a tad thin/undefined at times. It hits quick and quickly departs, feeling kind of polite at times, but surprisingly enough, steps up pretty admirably for something like dance/electronic. Drums too are similarly great in spite of the bass. It's definitely articulate and not sluggish or thick. Anyhow, the midrange is clearly the star on these, wisely so, as a matter of fact. Piano, synth, guitar, vocals, and the like all sound upfront and lifelike. No qualms there. No issues with the treble so far in terms of peakiness, or irritating tone. I ran the phones through tone gen and it's actually pretty nice and linear from the bass on up to about 6 kHz. where there's a slight bump. Not bad at all. Bass roll off seems to occur at around 50 hz. to me where it starts trailing off in volume. The staging is definitely nice and spacious with some good depth to it. Great height and width. The former being more impressive than the latter. It's got good proportions to it so I doubt your average listener would be disappointed in that respect. 

Those are just some early thoughts after a short day with em. I really dig em for sure, nice and easy on the ears, while maintaining a really engaging sig. I also wanna mention just how comfy and isolating these are. I don't care for the retention collar, tritab thing so I removed it, but with that off, these things just melt into your ears and you easily forget about em. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,071 of 3,454
  I got mine earlier today. It took very little in the way of acclimatizing as they reminded me of the Tenore. Still, coming from the LAB I, the sig is thinner and doesn't pack quite as much of a wallop. Transitioning between the two was pretty jarring haha. I echo the thoughts of those who are surprised by the bass. It's gonna be less than what you're accustomed to, I think. I think I could do with some more sub bass emphasis, and the mid bass could use a touch more body/sustain to fill it out as it sounds just a tad thin/undefined at times. It hits quick and quickly departs, feeling kind of polite at times, but surprisingly enough, steps up pretty admirably for something like dance/electronic. Drums too are similarly great in spite of the bass. It's definitely articulate and not sluggish or thick. Anyhow, the midrange is clearly the star on these, wisely so, as a matter of fact. Piano, synth, guitar, vocals, and the like all sound upfront and lifelike. No qualms there. No issues with the treble so far in terms of peakiness, or irritating tone. I ran the phones through tone gen and it's actually pretty nice and linear from the bass on up to about 6 kHz. where there's a slight bump. Not bad at all. Bass roll off seems to occur at around 50 hz. to me where it starts trailing off in volume. The staging is definitely nice and spacious with some good depth to it. Great height and width. The former being more impressive than the latter. It's got good proportions to it so I doubt your average listener would be disappointed in that respect. 

Those are just some early thoughts after a short day with em. I really dig em for sure, nice and easy on the ears, while maintaining a really engaging sig. I also wanna mention just how comfy and isolating these are. I don't care for the retention collar, tritab thing so I removed it, but with that off, these things just melt into your ears and you easily forget about em. 

oh, so you're the johnny from the aurisonics comments. i'm tim, haha. but i just noticed you used to own the dita truth and answer... is it possible at all to compare the rockets to the dita answers? i've been a little curious about maybe getting them as i'm really enamored of how they look and the reviews seem to be very favorable.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,072 of 3,454
Oh hey, yeah it would appear that I am haha. I like your username btw. There's a song by the band Voxtrot titled "Raised by Wolves" that I'm a big fan of. As for comparisons against Dita Answer? I don't have them any longer and don't feel comfortable speaking purely in terms of memory. It's usually faulty and unreliable, and I never took down notes. I will say that the Rockets are likely more linear than the Dita Answer. I ran the Answer through tone gen and noted two peaks. One at 5 khz. and another at about 10-11 khz. Speaking from memory, the Dita will have bigger bass than the Rockets. More sub bass oomph for sure I think. In terms of clarity, they'll likely be on a par. They'll also likely be similar in terms of depth/imaging/SS.

I wanna say that the Rockets beats out the DITA in terms of SS height, and the mids definitely are more upfront on the Rockets. When I said that the the midrange was wisely the star of the show, I meant it. Makes em a very engaging listen, and I think that's what garners the UERM comparisons. For the price we paid, (I'm supposing that you're a super steal backer) these are hilariously capable phones. In my personal opinion, you'd feel the brunt of diminishing returns so severely with stuff in the kilobuck range that your children's children would be reeling from it. You have to understand that those of us who pursue that sort of thing, that's just tantamount to insanity. Buy these phones, enjoy em, and smile knowing that an additional $1,000 isn't gonna net you some life changing improvements in SQ or anything, then walk the hell away my friend. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,073 of 3,454
  Oh hey, yeah it would appear that I am haha. I like your username btw. There's a song by the band Voxtrot titled "Raised by Wolves" that I'm a big fan of. As for comparisons against Dita Answer? I don't have them any longer and don't feel comfortable speaking purely in terms of memory. It's usually faulty and unreliable, and I never took down notes. I will say that the Rockets are likely more linear than the Dita Answer. I ran the Answer through tone gen and noted two peaks. One at 5 khz. and another at about 10-11 khz. Speaking from memory, the Dita will have bigger bass than the Rockets. More sub bass oomph for sure I think. In terms of clarity, they'll likely be on a par. They'll also likely be similar in terms of depth/imaging/SS. I wanna say that the Rockets beats out the DITA in terms of SS height, and the mids definitely are more upfront on the Rockets. When I said that the the midrange was wisely the star of the show, I meant it. Makes em a very engaging listen, and I think that's what garners the UERM comparisons. For the price we paid, (I'm supposing that you're a super steal backer) these are hilariously capable phones. In my personal opinion, you'd feel the brunt of diminishing returns so severely with stuff in the kilobuck range that your children's children would be reeling from it. You have to understand that those of us who pursue that sort of thing, that's just tantamount to insanity. Buy these phones, enjoy em, and smile knowing that an additional $1,000 isn't gonna net you some life changing improvements in SQ or anything, then walk the hell away my friend. 

that's actually where it's from! no one ever gets that, haha. but yeah, i'm actually just a still a great deal backer but it's good to hear. i'm slightly concerned about some comments of the sub bass but i'm more of a punchy bass kinda guy. and i listen to a lot of genres so the linear nature should be good for that.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,074 of 3,454

that's actually where it's from! no one ever gets that, haha. but yeah, i'm actually just a still a great deal backer but it's good to hear. i'm slightly concerned about some comments of the sub bass but i'm more of a punchy bass kinda guy. and i listen to a lot of genres so the linear nature should be good for that.

Well the sub bass is there and if you're listening to genres where sub bass is the main focus and those tracks don't contain a lot of bass frequencies, they'll stand out rather well. That's why sub bass heavy genres like electric still get enough punch to sound great. The sub bass only feels soft when coupled with bass frequencies which tend to outshine them more making the decay feel short giving the bass that quick accurate punch.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,075 of 3,454

Well the sub bass is there and if you're listening to genres where sub bass is the main focus and those tracks don't contain a lot of bass frequencies, they'll stand out rather well. That's why sub bass heavy genres like electric still get enough punch to sound great. The sub bass only feels soft when coupled with bass frequencies which tend to outshine them more making the decay feel short giving the bass that quick accurate punch.

i'm sure it'll be fine, i like to feel the bass on songs that are meant to be bass-heavy, like you said, but i do listen to some songs that aren't just all low-end but still have low-end, you know? like in the more straightforward electronic stuff, it shouldn't be an issue, but i'm curious how a song like say how to dress well - face again would sound or similar songs to that.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #1,076 of 3,454

I think they start to drop off lower than 50hz, likely around 30hz, 35 if i was being really persnickety. I think because the bass isn't really elevated at all, it sounds like it rolls off more than an IEM that starts to roll off but already starts at a higher amplitude than the midrange.

You'll miss the body and longer decay more than the 20-30hz of subbass IMO if you need bass. Personally, bass this clean is addictive.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #1,077 of 3,454

For me, the bass kind of feels like the "weakest chain in the link" not in the sense that they are bad but if there was just one area I'd like tweaked a little to improve the sound, it would definitely be there. Like you said, a bit more body and a little more below the 50Hz range and I'll be quite happy for a while.
I think they start to drop off lower than 50hz, likely around 30hz, 35 if i was being really persnickety. I think because the bass isn't really elevated at all, it sounds like it rolls off more than an IEM that starts to roll off but already starts at a higher amplitude than the midrange.

You'll miss the body and longer decay more than the 20-30hz of subbass IMO if you need bass. Personally, bass this clean is addictive.

It does get quite catchy for sure and it's rather amazing as is but there are ways to improve it. At this point though I'm asking for WAAAAY more then you'd get at this price though.

QC does get a tad looser around the sub bass range. They are a little more lenient when it comes to sub bass where they would allow a minor deviation on the sub bass ranges where they'd usually expect virtually spot on for the main frequency ranges so the 50Hz range is a safe ballpark.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,078 of 3,454

i mean, the iem's i'm using right now aren't incredibly bassy (re-400's) and i actually have the same complaint about these, that the body/decay is missing at times. i wish there was just a little more oomph in them. but i'm hoping the rockets are at a level just even a couple notches above the bass of the re-400's and i would be pretty happy.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,079 of 3,454
i mean, the iem's i'm using right now aren't incredibly bassy (re-400's) and i actually have the same complaint about these, that the body/decay is missing at times. i wish there was just a little more oomph in them. but i'm hoping the rockets are at a level just even a couple notches above the bass of the re-400's and i would be pretty happy.

RE400? I think you'll be fine haha. I don have too much experience with the hifimans, but I do know that they tend to be among the most bass lite phones out there. Awesome on the Voxtrot reference as well. Was pretty bummed when I learned that the band had split up, I thought they had a lot of potential. Their self titled has got great song writing on it

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,080 of 3,454
RE400? I think you'll be fine haha. I don have too much experience with the hifimans, but I do know that they tend to be among the most bass lite phones out there. Awesome on the Voxtrot reference as well. Was pretty bummed when I learned that the band had split up, I thought they had a lot of potential. Their self titled has got great song writing on it

well, the re-400's apparently have a lot more bass than their older phones, haha. and yeah, to be honest their ep's were great but the self-titled was a little disappointing. they did have a ton of potential but i think there was too much hype for their debut lp and they just kind of fizzled out after that from the pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back