Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,081 of 3,454
The only Hifiman I've ever heard was the RE262, and I believe that phone signaled a sort of seachange for them in terms of bass being a necessary entity. And that phone still didn't pack enough of a wallop for my tastes. I think the Rockets is on the precipice of being bassy enough/not bassy enough.

As jrkong mentioned, this is just me really nitpicking the phone, as I'm coming from some pretty nice phones that really excel in every given department. Give yourself time to equalize and it becomes less of an issue. Listenin to "Why So Serious" off the Dark Knight OST reveals that the Rockets aren't bad in the sub bass department; they can still adequately render the very low oscillating textures in that piece. I don't have the FX850 on me at the moment, nor the UERM, two phones that can hit all the way down to 20 hz. no problem, but I think the Rockets performed better than I thought. And I think I've already mentioned that Massive Attack's Mezzanine sounds pretty good on the Rockets.

I'd like to redact that, Mezzanine sounds pretty damn good on the Rockets. I'm actually now very curious what two Rockets drivers running in parallel would sound like...

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,082 of 3,454
The only Hifiman I've ever heard was the RE262, and I believe that phone signaled a sort of seachange for them in terms of bass being a necessary entity. And that phone still didn't pack enough of a wallop for my tastes. I think the Rockets is on the precipice of being bassy enough/not bassy enough.

As jrkong mentioned, this is just me really nitpicking the phone, as I'm coming from some pretty nice phones that really excel in every given department. Give yourself time to equalize and it becomes less of an issue. Listenin to "Why So Serious" off the Dark Knight OST reveals that the Rockets aren't bad in the sub bass department; they can still adequately render the very low oscillating textures in that piece. I don't have the FX850 on me at the moment, nor the UERM, two phones that can hit all the way down to 20 hz. no problem, but I think the Rockets performed better than I thought. And I think I've already mentioned that Massive Attack's Mezzanine sounds pretty good on the Rockets.

I'd like to redact that, Mezzanine sounds pretty damn good on the Rockets. I'm actually now very curious what two Rockets drivers running in parallel would sound like...

cool, hearing that it performs well with a classic like mezzanine. could you give a listen to that how to dress well track i mentioned earlier? that's kind of my jam lately and wondering how it sounds.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,083 of 3,454
Just bought the single off iTunes after listenin to the sample. Pretty cool, reminds me of James Blake/FKA Twigs. Anywho I don't think the Rockets will disappoint. Great depth on the song, and placement of the synth and vocals samples are excellent. It's a really dimensional/holographic experience for sure. Vocals sound eerily present and extremely smooth. Bass does the texturing justice IMO. Dynamics are also great I should mention, with equal attention afforded to the quiet passages vs. the loud.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,084 of 3,454
Just bought the single off iTunes after listenin to the sample. Pretty cool, reminds me of James Blake/FKA Twigs. Anywho I don't think the Rockets will disappoint. Great depth on the song, and placement of the synth and vocals samples are excellent. It's a really dimensional/holographic experience for sure. Vocals sound eerily present and extremely smooth. Bass does the texturing justice IMO

nice. and yeah, speaking of fka twigs, how does "two weeks" sound on it? or even something like "papi pacify"?

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,085 of 3,454
I'll get back to you on that later. Gotta hit the hay and rise early. Working on replacing a door threshold tomorrow (rot on the wooden sill) and something tells me I'm gonna run into some issues the second I pry the aluminum threshold off :l

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,087 of 3,454
I'm not too fond of the tritab thing. Took mine off as I felt like it was poking me in the ears a bit. This is just me though, and it may in all likelihood be rather innocuous to the next person. I find the Rockets maintain a VERY good seal. It boils down to the tiny size of the housing and the stickiness of the tips. What I do is grasp the body of the housing and apply a twisting motion to get a better insertion depth. Every time I remove the earphones I always note a suction effect, so yeah, highly doubt they'd dislodge while running even if you choose to not use the tritabs

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,088 of 3,454
Any comments on that secondary silicone tab that keeps them in your ears? I know the tips are a bit 'stickier' than most but was looking to run in these and was wondering if anyone has tried it?

Running will be absolutely fine. For me, the Tritabs work in tandem with the seal the tips provide. With the tips only, if you get a good seal with them they should stay in your ears perfectly under normal use. I originally used the M+ tips because they felt like they gave me an overall better seal but they didn't work as well with the Tritabs as the tips would stick out from my ear and it was harder for the Tritabs to relieve pressure. After I went a size down, used the small tips and using ROCKETS as they were design by jamming them up my ear canals. This time the Tritabs worked much better. The Tritabs tend to work by providing resistance through gripping onto your ear and pushes back against the tip keeping it in the ear. When you get it working together with a good seal there's no way the ROCKETS will come out with regular use. I could probably dangle my phone from the ROCKETS cable and they won't come out when I get the Tritab+Tip combo working properly.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,089 of 3,454
Oh hey, yeah it would appear that I am haha. I like your username btw. There's a song by the band Voxtrot titled "Raised by Wolves" that I'm a big fan of. As for comparisons against Dita Answer? I don't have them any longer and don't feel comfortable speaking purely in terms of memory. It's usually faulty and unreliable, and I never took down notes. I will say that the Rockets are likely more linear than the Dita Answer. I ran the Answer through tone gen and noted two peaks. One at 5 khz. and another at about 10-11 khz. Speaking from memory, the Dita will have bigger bass than the Rockets. More sub bass oomph for sure I think. In terms of clarity, they'll likely be on a par. They'll also likely be similar in terms of depth/imaging/SS.

I wanna say that the Rockets beats out the DITA in terms of SS height, and the mids definitely are more upfront on the Rockets. When I said that the the midrange was wisely the star of the show, I meant it. Makes em a very engaging listen, and I think that's what garners the UERM comparisons. For the price we paid, (I'm supposing that you're a super steal backer) these are hilariously capable phones. In my personal opinion, you'd feel the brunt of diminishing returns so severely with stuff in the kilobuck range that your children's children would be reeling from it. You have to understand that those of us who pursue that sort of thing, that's just tantamount to insanity. Buy these phones, enjoy em, and smile knowing that an additional $1,000 isn't gonna net you some life changing improvements in SQ or anything, then walk the hell away my friend. 

How does it compare to the uerm if you dont mibd me asking. And the ckr9s

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,091 of 3,454
How does it compare to the uerm if you dont mibd me asking. And the ckr9s

VWinter would be the guy to ask regarding the UERM comparison as mine are out for a refit. Just going off memory though, the UERM is more liquid across the range, has more explosive dynamics and has more authoritative weightier bass. Can't comment on the CKR9 comparison. Never got along with my pair. The shout at 4 kHz drives me nuts. (And yes I gave it the requisite 150 hour "burn in", it's still there dammit)

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,092 of 3,454
VWinter would be the guy to ask regarding the UERM comparison as mine are out for a refit. Just going off memory though, the UERM is more liquid across the range, has more explosive dynamics and has more authoritative weightier bass. Can't comment on the CKR9 comparison. Never got along with my pair. The shout at 4 kHz drives me nuts. (And yes I gave it the requisite 150 hour "burn in", it's still there dammit)

Thank you for your response. 

I'll definitely ask Vwinter, but thank you for sharing your impressions. 

It's unfortunate that you find the ckr9s shouty as I didn't experience the 4khz issue with my music collection (except for a few like Lorde's "Royal" which contains finger snapping that punctures my eardrums), I hope you had the opportunity to sell them. It's unfortunate that audio technica still has the penchant for forwarding their mids (I tend to like that however), but hopefully people like the ckr series.

As for the aurisonics, I surely hope they release soon enough so some of us can experience a natural/neutral earphone that is the most portable size for any consumer to enjoy (especially when sleeping!).

Anyway, please continue providing impressions you music lovers, this is a thread worth subbing. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,093 of 3,454
UERM is more liquid, cleaner stage and cleaner sounding in general, better bass extension but more bass also.

If you have any specific questions regarding the differences, ie to your preferences, I'll have a listen for you.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,095 of 3,454
Give em a spin Tom. Would be interested in what you think of em as a fellow UERM bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back