Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #1,441 of 3,454
Actually, the first renderings (the ones we looked at before investing) showed a black cable and colored tubes. Later, Aurisonics tried the color-coded cross-hatch scheme on black cables, but it didn't work out, so they switched to white.

You are right. :xf_eek:

Yeah, the f111 for me hit almost identical er4s sound with the right fit/tip. But oddly most people don't hear that. They hear warmth and treble cutoff around 11khz. Even goldenears shows it a little warm in a sense:

http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Earphones/22966

But I'm extremely familiar with their graphs and they usually correspond exactly to my hearing. But i can tell you with 100% certainty that i heard a much more accurate sound than their graph. But based on all the impressions floating around, it sounds like that graph is what most people hear. I think it was my fit/tip combo personally. Either way they sounded great, but if i could get the sound i got when the fit was perfect all the time, i would have bought them and maybe been done. They were better than anything i've heard so far pretty much in the "way" they sounded. but it was a crap shoot every time i used them.

Anyway. hopefully the rockets are at least as good with my ears.

Also see:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/06/suyama-fit-ear-f111.html?m=1

This is closer to how I heard them, but a few dB less bass overall, probably how it would look with an OW compensation. Taking into account different smoothing between the two and different bass compensations, not too far off of each other I guess.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,442 of 3,454

Actually, the first renderings (the ones we looked at before investing) showed a black cable and colored tubes. Later, Aurisonics tried the color-coded cross-hatch scheme on black cables, but it didn't work out, so they switched to white.

You are right.
redface.gif

Yeah, the f111 for me hit almost identical er4s sound with the right fit/tip. But oddly most people don't hear that. They hear warmth and treble cutoff around 11khz. Even goldenears shows it a little warm in a sense:

http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Earphones/22966

But I'm extremely familiar with their graphs and they usually correspond exactly to my hearing. But i can tell you with 100% certainty that i heard a much more accurate sound than their graph. But based on all the impressions floating around, it sounds like that graph is what most people hear. I think it was my fit/tip combo personally. Either way they sounded great, but if i could get the sound i got when the fit was perfect all the time, i would have bought them and maybe been done. They were better than anything i've heard so far pretty much in the "way" they sounded. but it was a crap shoot every time i used them.

Anyway. hopefully the rockets are at least as good with my ears.

Also see:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/06/suyama-fit-ear-f111.html?m=1

This is closer to how I heard them, but a few dB less bass overall, probably how it would look with an OW compensation. Taking into account different smoothing between the two and different bass compensations, not too far off of each other I guess.

Even his graph shows a huge drop off after 10khz. I didn't get that "at all" with the right fit. It easily went up to er4s heights. but only with the right fit, which was very frustrating...

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,443 of 3,454
Can't be certain if Rin's FR is accurate, but what is certain is GE's graph is smoothed out.  Rin's has much more resolution.  Rin's is 1/24 oct and GE is 1/3 oct. If you hear smoothed out GE that's what you hear, and somebody may hear Rin's FR.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,444 of 3,454
  Can't be certain if Rin's FR is accurate, but what is certain is GE's graph is smoothed out.  Rin's has much more resolution.  Rin's is 1/24 oct and GE is 1/3 oct. If you hear smoothed out GE that's what you hear, and somebody may hear Rin's FR.  
biggrin.gif

except that's not that smooth. i can hear minutes changes in ge graphs in any earphone i've ever had. I use the graphs to generate negative eq fixes and they work great. If anything, having those fluctuations while being overly smooth would mean it was even less even than they show, which is the opposite of what I heard. I heard more neutrality. :) any graphs of the rockets out there?

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,445 of 3,454
Even his graph shows a huge drop off after 10khz. I didn't get that "at all" with the right fit. It easily went up to er4s heights. but only with the right fit, which was very frustrating...

Here you go =)

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,446 of 3,454
Last night and this morning I gave the Rockets some back and forth with the following tips: mh1, stock, meelec biflange and sennheiser biflange.

I didn't notice any sonic differences between the mh1 and stock tips. Both seal like crazy and consequently have the biggest bass response.

The meelec biflanges sealed just as well for me, so bass response was pretty similar but the bore is even wider than the stock tips and the main difference was a slightly more open sound.

The Sennheiser biflanges are easily the winner for me. They don't seal quite as well, so there is slightly less bass. The bore of these tips is the widest and provides a nice detectable difference in clarity and openness though out the midrange and treble. The best way to describe this change is like removing the factory box around your car engine's air intake and replacing it with an uncovered K&N performance air filter. The car doesn't go any faster but you can hear and feel a difference. Things seem a bit more effortless.

Now the Rockets sound even better at louder volumes and seemingly can go louder and louder without discomfort, while maintaining excellent SQ.

Sorry Luisent, was in a hurry and forgot to grab my Tenore this morning.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,448 of 3,454

Here you go =)

? that's a bit more flat in appearance, but the treble is still over 10db less after 10k. That's very much like having it cutoff at 10khz. :p

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,450 of 3,454
Last night and this morning I gave the Rockets some back and forth with the following tips: mh1, stock, meelec biflange and sennheiser biflange.

I didn't notice any sonic differences between the mh1 and stock tips. Both seal like crazy and consequently have the biggest bass response.

The meelec biflanges sealed just as well for me, so bass response was pretty similar but the bore is even wider than the stock tips and the main difference was a slightly more open sound.

The Sennheiser biflanges are easily the winner for me. They don't seal quite as well, so there is slightly less bass. The bore of these tips is the widest and provides a nice detectable difference in clarity and openness though out the midrange and treble. The best way to describe this change is like removing the factory box around your car engine's air intake and replacing it with an uncovered K&N performance air filter. The car doesn't go any faster but you can hear and feel a difference. Things seem a bit more effortless.

Now the Rockets sound even better at louder volumes and seemingly can go louder and louder without discomfort, while maintaining excellent SQ.

Sorry Luisent, was in a hurry and forgot to grab my Tenore this morning.

Sounds pretty spot on. Also, can't believe I forgot about the Senn biflanges. I'll have to try those immediately.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,452 of 3,454
  Sounds pretty spot on. Also, can't believe I forgot about the Senn biflanges. I'll have to try those immediately.

Those are great. The medium-sized Sennheiser biflange tips are the only ones that allow the F111 to seal completely inside my ears (my left ear canal is wonky with universal tips). They also happen to sound the best to my ears.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,453 of 3,454
? that's a bit more flat in appearance, but the treble is still over 10db less after 10k. That's very much like having it cutoff at 10khz. :p

Haha, true, 10dB is less cutoff than cut IMO, you can still have usable volume at a 10db drop relative to other frequencies. And it does show that ER4S extension to the pretty much the same cutoff point.

Regardless, they were a strange and very tip and fit dependent IEM.

Interested for when you get the loaner Rockets set. My top end hearing doesn't go as far as yours so I'm curious as to what you hear. Gonna be soon I hope.

[rule]

Are the Senn biflanges available for purchase anywhere?

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #1,454 of 3,454
Haha, true, 10dB is less cutoff than cut IMO, you can still have usable volume at a 10db drop relative to other frequencies. And it does show that ER4S extension to the pretty much the same cutoff point.

Regardless, they were a strange and very tip and fit dependent IEM.

Interested for when you get the loaner Rockets set. My top end hearing doesn't go as far as yours so I'm curious as to what you hear. Gonna be soon I hope.

[rule]

Are the Senn biflanges available for purchase anywhere?

These are the ones I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976317583?redirect=mobile

You can choose which size combination you want. I use the large, which makes for a nice shallow fit. Never tried the mediums, but the smalls are too small for me to be used with any earphone.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,455 of 3,454
These are the ones I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976317583?redirect=mobile

You can choose which size combination you want. I use the large, which makes for a nice shallow fit. Never tried the mediums, but the smalls are too small for me to be used with any earphone.

Thanks!!
I'll probably get 2x medium and a set of large. I remember looking at the small size set that was sent around with the F111 in awe and wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back