Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,426 of 3,454
Not sure if you meant in general or just on the black cable, but on the white cable there's the colored hatching...

The problem, and not really on Aurisonics part, is that the black cable was never really part of the plan. It was only due to kickstarter demand that they even did it, on a limited kickstarter basis. They weren't designed ground up to have any marking because the original plan was to have the white cable with the colors. It was really a last second idea.

The real problem is that the white cable, as part of the original plan, is hard to tell which side is which in low light because the colors end up looking the same enough. I was thinking about doing what shotgunshane said and using the chin slider's AS logo to memorize which side is which in low light situations.

Actually, the first renderings (the ones we looked at before investing) showed a black cable and colored tubes. Later, Aurisonics tried the color-coded cross-hatch scheme on black cables, but it didn't work out, so they switched to white.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,427 of 3,454
  [A brief comparison with the F111 at request from mejoshua]

F111 vs Rockets using the iPhone 5S

Rockets need about 3 or 4 more ticks of volume to match the F111
Rockets are less fatiguing over longer listening sessions

More impact and rumble in the Rockets
A bit more treble sparkle in the F111

Rockets have a thicker, more weighty overall note
F111 sounds thinner but airier and slightly clearer in comparison

A little better height and much better depth with the Rockets
F111 is more upfront and in your face with slightly more width

F111 frequency response comes across as a little more flat and linear
Rockets frequency response comes across as a very slight downward sloping arc with more overall emphasis on the midrange

Resolution seems about equal with better layering and timbre in the Rockets, although I like cymbals just a bit more on the F111 due to the extra sparkle

Wow. Not what I expected. Most people find the f111 warm compared to something like the tenore (neutral bass edition) or er4s. Other impressions I've heard put these in the tenore or less category of bass and mid bass. Do you mean to say the the rockets are bassier than those sets or just that the note presentation is thicker in some other way?

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,428 of 3,454

oh-boy.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,430 of 3,454
Wow. Not what I expected. Most people find the f111 warm compared to something like the tenore (neutral bass edition) or er4s. Other impressions I've heard put these in the tenore or less category of bass and mid bass. Do you mean to say the the rockets are bassier than those sets or just that the note presentation is thicker in some other way?

I haven't compared the Rockets to my best Tenore, so I can't say.

I can say that I don't really find the F111 all that warm (using Sennheiser biflanges). Warmer than an ER4S sure but not warm when compared to 99% of the stuff out there. I found my F111 bass to be about 3db's over the typical diffuse field reference, meaning it sounds more accurate in bass to me.

I'll go back to stock tips tomorrow (from mh1 tips) and compare with the Tenore and let you know how it goes.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,431 of 3,454

I haven't compared the Rockets to my best Tenore, so I can't say.

I can say that I don't really find the F111 all that warm (using Sennheiser biflanges). Warmer than an ER4S sure but not warm when compared to 99% of the stuff out there. I found my F111 bass to be about 3db's over the typical diffuse field reference, meaning it sounds more accurate in bass to me.

I'll go back to stock tips tomorrow (from mh1 tips) and compare with the Tenore and let you know how it goes.

The F111 is so incredibly fit and tip dependent that more detailed comparisons between individuals might not mean much.

For example, even though I haven't heard the F111 in a long time, I'm 90% sure that I get more treble emphasis out of the Rockets. My biggest complaint about the F111 was that it was a little smooth in the treble.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,432 of 3,454
Any burn in, and does wide bore tips improve treble
smily_headphones1.gif

Burn in felt like it existed as a mental thing. Well either that or it was just the exhaustion messing with my hearing.

... and how do they sound without filters?
wink.gif

What would you do if I told you they're there but you just don't see them...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,433 of 3,454
The F111 is so incredibly fit and tip dependent that more detailed comparisons between individuals might not mean much.

For example, even though I haven't heard the F111 in a long time, I'm 90% sure that I get more treble emphasis out of the Rockets. My biggest complaint about the F111 was that it was a little smooth in the treble.

I never had issues getting consistent sound from the F111. With its horn design you get best treble presence from shallow fit. If you insert too deeply it reduced treble presence but did slightly improve extension. The F111 treble timbre is excellent IMO, but I too wished for just a hair more and think similarly of the Rockets.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,434 of 3,454
 If you insert too deeply it reduced treble presence but did slightly improve extension. The F111 treble timbre is excellent IMO, but I too wished for just a hair more and think similarly of the Rockets.

Rockets are more or less the same way, the deeper the tip goes the better the bass extension but you do trade a bit of treble, or at least that's how it sounds to my ears.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,435 of 3,454
I never had issues getting consistent sound from the F111. With its horn design you get best treble presence from shallow fit. If you insert too deeply it reduced treble presence but did slightly improve extension. The F111 treble timbre is excellent IMO, but I too wished for just a hair more and think similarly of the Rockets.

Interesting. Which tips are you using on the Rockets? With the Meelec biflanges I'm getting more emphasis than the ER4S for example, mostly because there's no 7k dip on the Rockets I think. There is a 2-3dB peak around 9k for me. Any more treble might be a little much. In preliminary listening this new pair sounds exactly like Sync's pair.

I couldn't ever eke out quite enough treble on the F111. Just my ears most likely. Not enough depth or something.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #1,436 of 3,454
Interesting. Which tips are you using on the Rockets? With the Meelec biflanges I'm getting more emphasis than the ER4S for example, mostly because there's no 7k dip on the Rockets I think. There is a 2-3dB peak around 9k for me. Any more treble might be a little much. In preliminary listening this new pair sounds exactly like Sync's pair.

I couldn't ever eke out quite enough treble on the F111. Just my ears most likely. Not enough depth or something.

I have pretty straight canals, so fit, more often than not, is pretty easy for me.

I'm using mh1 tips but will switch back to stock tomorrow. Now that I've been listening to the Rockets everyday, it will be interesting to see what I think after switching back to stocks.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,437 of 3,454
I have pretty straight canals, so fit, more often than not, is pretty easy for me.

I'm using mh1 tips but will switch back to stock tomorrow. Now that I've been listening to the Rockets everyday, it will be interesting to see what I think after switching back to stocks.

Just a theory but I think the MH1 tips might reduce treble some because of the narrower bore. Looking forward to your findings.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,439 of 3,454
Yeah, the f111 for me hit almost identical er4s sound with the right fit/tip. But oddly most people don't hear that. They hear warmth and treble cutoff around 11khz. Even goldenears shows it a little warm in a sense:

http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Earphones/22966

But I'm extremely familiar with their graphs and they usually correspond exactly to my hearing. But i can tell you with 100% certainty that i heard a much more accurate sound than their graph. But based on all the impressions floating around, it sounds like that graph is what most people hear. I think it was my fit/tip combo personally. Either way they sounded great, but if i could get the sound i got when the fit was perfect all the time, i would have bought them and maybe been done. They were better than anything i've heard so far pretty much in the "way" they sounded. but it was a crap shoot every time i used them.

Anyway. hopefully the rockets are at least as good with my ears.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,440 of 3,454
  Yeah, the f111 for me hit almost identical er4s sound with the right fit/tip. But oddly most people don't hear that. They hear warmth and treble cutoff around 11khz. Even goldenears shows it a little warm in a sense:

http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Earphones/22966

But I'm extremely familiar with their graphs and they usually correspond exactly to my hearing. But i can tell you with 100% certainty that i heard a much more accurate sound than their graph. But based on all the impressions floating around, it sounds like that graph is what most people hear. I think it was my fit/tip combo personally. Either way they sounded great, but if i could get the sound i got when the fit was perfect all the time, i would have bought them and maybe been done. They were better than anything i've heard so far pretty much in the "way" they sounded. but it was a crap shoot every time i used them.

Anyway. hopefully the rockets are at least as good with my ears.

FitEar Japan produce some really good universal IEMs......CIEMs too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back