Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,301 of 3,454
Good to hear about the spiral dots because I have an unused box of those in large size ready to go! :)

Yeah, I used medium and medium-large spiral dot tips on the Rockets, with the difference being the medium-large having more bass than the medium size.

I think coming from a very clear IEM like the Etymotic, you'll first find them warm and lacking treble energy (like I had) but after a few days (and especially coupled with a amp/dac) they'll sound very smooth and good in timbre, while still having good clarity.

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #3,302 of 3,454
So I've emailed Andy 2 times in the past few weeks to ask if my pair of broken Aurisonics Rockets that Ive send for repair arrives to him, but he's not replying...

Does anyone know why? Ive emailed him in both arowley@fender.com and andy@aurisonics.com

You too huh? Mine have been with Fender/AS for the last... Three months. I have no idea what's the hold up. Last I heard from him, he said it'd just be a few more days. Yeah... That was a month ago. Wrote him back over a week ago and still haven't received a response.

I was one of the Rockets KS backers. I sent my Rockets to Andy 8-9 months ago for a warranty claim. My Rockets had a Nashville vacation, lol and were at the factory far longer than I was told the turnaround would be. I sent them in because I started hearing crackling quite often (not consistently) in the left monitor. After getting them, it took longer for Andy to check them than the two days I was told. A week later, he told me he couldn't find any issue after supposedly checking the IEM's top to bottom, and he suggested the possibility that maybe it was the device I had them plugged into (i.e. like a broken sound card, driver that needed updating, etc.). When I replied back with confusion and explained that it was happening in every device I owned (i.e. laptop, MP3 players, iPhone, stereo, etc.), something in what I said apparently clued him into rechecking the jack. In the end, he found an issue where the jack needed to be replaced and wire connection (presumably to the left driver) repaired. The repair itself took another 4 weeks because the workers who do the overmolding for the jack were way backed up with jobs. From the time my Rockets arrived, I'd say it took like 8 weeks until they were checked, rechecked, repaired, then mailed back.

However, since I was nice and patient, Andy tossed in some free eartips and brushes when I asked him if I could pay and have them shipped back with my Rockets to save on shipping -- he didn't ask me for a dime, and there were a bunch in the box, along with a spare waterproof case that I didn't even ask for. The fact is, I think this Andy guy has a lot of jobs at the factory (based on his company profile, mentions of his work during the KS campaign by Dale, etc.), and the warranty turnaround is also partly dependent on other factory workers too. Apparently, there isn't one warranty unit with a few workers that 100% handles claims and repairs like at other larger headphone brands. Dale's factory may be pushing out Fender branded products these days -- but I doubt their team has grown much more. That probably puts even more stress on this Andy guy. He's really nice, but I wish there'd be three or four people helping him! Again, I'm just supposing here!

Point is, if you didn't get yours back yet, they will return -- at some point. I know it's tough to be patient when you're not getting replies. Maybe he's on vacation or just has way too much to get done. I love my Rockets. They are my most used, everyday pair of IEM's. I hated being without them for so long, but they were worth the wait. The day I got them back from Aurisonics, my ears were like "Ahhhh, that sounds and feels good!" They've worked beautifully since. Try to get back in touch with him. If all else fails, I could try digging into my inbox for another contact email I had for another staff member who was very responsive during the KS campaign ,if she still works there. Let me know.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #3,303 of 3,454
I was one of the Rockets KS backers. I sent my Rockets to Andy 8-9 months ago for a warranty claim. My Rockets had a Nashville vacation, lol and were at the factory far longer than I was told the turnaround would be. I sent them in because I started hearing crackling quite often (not consistently) in the left monitor. After getting them, it took longer for Andy to check them than the two days I was told. A week later, he told me he couldn't find any issue after supposedly checking the IEM's top to bottom, and he suggested the possibility that maybe it was the device I had them plugged into (i.e. like a broken sound card, driver that needed updating, etc.). When I replied back with confusion and explained that it was happening in every device I owned (i.e. laptop, MP3 players, iPhone, stereo, etc.), something in what I said apparently clued him into rechecking the jack. In the end, he found an issue where the jack needed to be replaced and wire connection (presumably to the left driver) repaired. The repair itself took another 4 weeks because the workers who do the overmolding for the jack were way backed up with jobs. From the time my Rockets arrived, I'd say it took like 8 weeks until they were checked, rechecked, repaired, then mailed back.

However, since I was nice and patient, Andy tossed in some free eartips and brushes when I asked him if I could pay and have them shipped back with my Rockets to save on shipping -- he didn't ask me for a dime, and there were a bunch in the box, along with a spare waterproof case that I didn't even ask for. The fact is, I think this Andy guy has a lot of jobs at the factory (based on his company profile, mentions of his work during the KS campaign by Dale, etc.), and the warranty turnaround is also partly dependent on other factory workers too. Apparently, there isn't one warranty unit with a few workers that 100% handles claims and repairs like at other larger headphone brands. Dale's factory may be pushing out Fender branded products these days -- but I doubt their team has grown much more. That probably puts even more stress on this Andy guy. He's really nice, but I wish there'd be three or four people helping him! Again, I'm just supposing here!

Point is, if you didn't get yours back yet, they will return -- at some point. I know it's tough to be patient when you're not getting replies. Maybe he's on vacation or just has way too much to get done. I love my Rockets. They are my most used, everyday pair of IEM's. I hated being without them for so long, but they were worth the wait. The day I got them back from Aurisonics, my ears were like "Ahhhh, that sounds and feels good!" They've worked beautifully since. Try to get back in touch with him. If all else fails, I could try digging into my inbox for another contact email I had for another staff member who was very responsive during the KS campaign ,if she still works there. Let me know.
I ordered a custom 2.5 back in March thinking it would take two months. Well it took longer due to man power, most are focusing on the Fender line. Three days ago this arrived and its perfectly built.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #3,304 of 3,454
I wish there was currently a good source of a pair of Rockets. I know they are no longer being made, but from everything I have heard about their sound signature, they sound like an ideal complement to what I already own (Ety ER-4P's). There is someone selling a used pair right now on Amazon for $200, but when I messaged them to ask about whether all accessories were included, I never got a response – not a good sign. There's also a fellow selling a pair right now on Head-fi but he hasn't responded to my PM, either. What's a prospective Rockets owner to do?

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #3,305 of 3,454
I wish there was currently a good source of a pair of Rockets. I know they are no longer being made, but from everything I have heard about their sound signature, they sound like an ideal complement to what I already own (Ety ER-4P's). There is someone selling a used pair right now on Amazon for $200, but when I messaged them to ask about whether all accessories were included, I never got a response – not a good sign. There's also a fellow selling a pair right now on Head-fi but he hasn't responded to my PM, either. What's a prospective Rockets owner to do?

I bought them new/sealed from a very reputable American seller on eBay, for around $220. Last time I checked there were still some in stock.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #3,306 of 3,454

I would consider the ER4XR as a nice compliment to the ER4P as well.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #3,310 of 3,454
B&H Photo (in New York City) still had some Rockets as of last week. $249 new, sealed in the tin. I like how they have a wide FR but nothing sounds hyped. Very even from top to bottom. Still capable of great depth. Wide soundstage. Buzzword, Buzzword.....

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #3,311 of 3,454
After owning these for a month I must say...

These are the most "boring good" IEM's I have tried.

I know in my mind that they are neutral and detailed. But there's something missing maybe... I'm always compelled to raise the volume on them to see if they "excite" a bit, but to a point where they start to sound a bit harsh in the mids.

Am I the only one?

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #3,312 of 3,454
  After owning these for a month I must say...

These are the most "boring good" IEM's I have tried.

I know in my mind that they are neutral and detailed. But there's something missing maybe... I'm always compelled to raise the volume on them to see if they "excite" a bit, but to a point where they start to sound a bit harsh in the mids.

Am I the only one?

With medium Comply T-500 tips in reverse, they give a very good sound, with good clarity (not excellent) but everything sounds so natural through them. Clarity isn't the best you can get at this price point, but with the Comply tips in reverse it's still good nontheless.

They don't really have any weakness in the sound imo. Just a clear, natural sound, and that's what makes them so good.

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3,313 of 3,454
Hey guys, just got my hand on these bad boys for a short while, unfortunately the tri-tabs did not come with the used pair. I find the fit to be kind of awkward so I guess the tri-tabs might help me out. I'm happy to buy of someone who got like a spare pair of tri-tabs, so please let me know if you do have one. cheers. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #3,314 of 3,454
I'm psyched to have a pair of these on the way in a day or two - sealed, brand new from a reliable seller on eBay (with thanks to the other Head-fi'er who tipped me off to this seller). I'll report back; these are replacing my defective RE-600's!

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #3,315 of 3,454
Hi,
Just picked up my Rockets and I have a few questions for you folks:

1) I got mine brand new. Do these benefit from burn in? Since it's a dynamic driver, I thought it might. If so in your experience, how long? And how does the sound evolve?
2) Are any of you using alternative tips with these? The default tips (the sticky ones) give me a great seal but I'm finding them physically uncomfortable in my ears after awhile because the material they're made from is more unyielding than foam or silicone. I was thinking of perhaps trying Spiral Dots.
3) I'm not sure the "anchors" (three tab thingies) do anything for me... the tabs don't touch my ears at all. Anyone else in this situation?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back