Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #616 of 2,761

Quote:
Thanks differentiating the ASG-1 & SM3 signatures according to your hearing.

Would you also agree from your listening the ASG-1 bass is more stronger than SM3's ? Some ASG-1 impressions/PM's have indicated it being comparable to FX700 & even MG7 ?
If so are you able to quantify the amount its stronger by ?

Yes, the ASG-1 bass is stronger in quantity and quality in spades.. Now, this also depends on tips. Some tips can lessen the bass. the Senn double flanges, however, maximizes the bass response. It's deeper, tighter, punchier and more detailed than the SM3's bass.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #618 of 2,761
And L ones?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #619 of 2,761

Quote:
 Maybe Aurisonics will be able to offer DIY kits as the ASG-1's have a removable side plates.

Dale specifically mentioned that they will be upgradeable (by us), opening them will void warranties 
Quote:
While there are some similarities, for the most part I don't subscribe to the idea of the ASG-1 sounding just like the SM3. A couple of things: The SM3 - to my ears - doesn't have as much separation of and space of instruments as the ASG-1. And the SM3 is a much warmer earphone. Also, the SM3 isn't as 3-Dish as the ASG-1. Just how I hear it though...

I agree with this assessment, like Shane mentioned earlier, they are like a cooler, drier, more technically capable SM3. In terms of treble response... it's not even close, there are a few songs in my collection that sound rather dull due to the SM3's softened treble response that liven right up on the ASG-1. I don't bother with EQ so this is a very nice thing indeed

Quote:
Yes, the ASG-1 bass is stronger in quantity and quality in spades.. Now, this also depends on tips. Some tips can lessen the bass. the Senn double flanges, however, maximizes the bass response. It's deeper, tighter, punchier and more detailed than the SM3's bass.

I agree that the bass seems to hit lower, and seems tighter, but I'm not getting much more than the SM3, I'm getting perhaps a bit more. I'm using some dual flange tips that came with my Meelectronics phones. Might have to look into alternatives 

The cables on the ASG-1 far surpass the SM3s. The SM3 cable has always annoyed me cause it has a habit of kinking up and holding memory, ugh. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #620 of 2,761
@Jant71: thanks. Looks like I'll probably need to borrow a rotary hand tool to widen the headphone jack cutout. Oh well.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #621 of 2,761

Quote:
Dale specifically mentioned that they will be upgradeable (by us), opening them will void warranties 

I was actually thinking DIY upgrades for people who have passed one year warranty.
Also why not give people the option if they feel they are technically proficient & don't mind voiding there warranty.
Just a hope as it would be easier for some across the waters from US.

Eric

Quote:
stronger in quantity and quality in spades

Man that makes me melt.

I have double flange tips from IE7 -  these are the same as IE8 ones ?

Personally i don't like double/triple flange tips for reasons of comfort. I think i read you also have a  long single flange Meelec tips.
I would prefer to use these than double flange if i could have same bass.

How did these work out for you with the fitting & sound ?

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #622 of 2,761

Quote:
While there are some similarities, for the most part I don't subscribe to the idea of the ASG-1 sounding just like the SM3. A couple of things: The SM3 - to my ears - doesn't have as much separation of and space of instruments as the ASG-1. And the SM3 is a much warmer earphone. Also, the SM3 isn't as 3-Dish as the ASG-1. Just how I hear it though...

Thx.

....and about instruments\vocals realism tone and timbre, between both?

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #623 of 2,761

Quote:
Eric

Man that makes me melt.

I have double flange tips from IE7 -  these are the same as IE8 ones ?

Personally i don't like double/triple flange tips for reasons of comfort. I think i read you also have a  long single flange Meelec tips.
I would prefer to use these than double flange if i could have same bass.

How did these work out for you with the fitting & sound ?

I've tried the MEEL transparent double flange. That silicon is a little lighter than the Senn, so I discovered now all double flanges are not the same. So the bass is not as heavy. I tried the RE262 long double flange and didn't like the sound on the ASG-1 at all.

Quote:
Thx.

....and about instruments\vocals realism tone and timbre, between both?

Much better on the ASG-1 in my opinion. Again, I never thought that any universal tied with my 1964-Q in accuracy, detail, realism, speed, deepness of bass, and/or instrument separation. Some came close but never tied with it. The ASG-1  is the first universal I've owned that I feel is the equal peer of my custom - neck-to-neck... Not that they sound the same, but both are equally technically capable all the way through in give me the details and grade of sound I demand to hear from a top tier.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #624 of 2,761

Quote:
I've tried the MEEL transparent double flange. That silicon is a little lighter than the Senn, so I discovered now all double flanges are the same. So the bass is not as heavy. I tried the RE262 long double flange and didn't like the sound on the ASG-1 at all.

Much better on the ASG-1 in my opinion. Again, I never thought that any universal tied with my 1964-Q in accuracy, detail, realism, speed, deepness of bass, and/or instrument separation. Some came close but never tied with it. The ASG-1  is the first universal I've owned that I feel is the equal peer of my custom - neck-to-neck... Not that they sound the same, but both are equally technically capable all the way through in give me the details and grade of sound I demand to hear from a top tier.

I think you mean all double flanges are not the same
wink.gif
. Yep, clear silicone FTW, as far as I'm concerned. Though I use single flange clear tips. Same on my modded TF10 which I go with large clear Philips tips on those.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #625 of 2,761
Cheers Eric. I think I must have you mixed up for someone who said they had the Meelec Long Single Flange tips.
These are my favourite with IE7's as they gave no compromise to the sonics, good seal & more comfortable than double flange for long listening sessions.

Now I wonder who that was . . .:rolleyes:

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #626 of 2,761

Quote:
I think you mean all double flanges are not the same
wink.gif
. Yep, clear silicone FTW, as far as I'm concerned. Though I use single flange clear tips. Same on my modded TF10 which I go with large clear Philips tips on those.

Exactly, Thanks...

Quote:
Cheers Eric. I think I must have you mixed up for someone who said they had the Meelec Long Single Flange tips.
These are my favourite with IE7's as they gave no compromise to the sonics, good seal & more comfortable than double flange for long listening sessions.
Now I wonder who that was . . .
rolleyes.gif

I never talked about the long MEEL single flanges (I don't believe), but I have those too. They're okay. I just prefer the Senn double flanges right now. In the end, it probably won't matter much as I'm about to get custom tips soon for the ASG-1..

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #627 of 2,761
Hey Eric, where can I find a pair of those Sennheiser Double Flange tips? Don't think I'm quite ready to shell out for custom tips. Also, I was thinking, the ASG-2 is going to be pretty difficult for most of us to compare to the ASG-1 given that we will have to surrender our ASG-1 in order to have it changed over to a double driver unit. At this point, I can't even really imagine what the double driver unit will improve. I think these are the best phones I've ever heard at this point. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #628 of 2,761

Quote:
Hey Eric, where can I find a pair of those Sennheiser Double Flange tips? Don't think I'm quite ready to shell out for custom tips. Also, I was thinking, the ASG-2 is going to be pretty difficult for most of us to compare to the ASG-1 given that we will have to surrender our ASG-1 in order to have it changed over to a double driver unit. At this point, I can't even really imagine what the double driver unit will improve. I think these are the best phones I've ever heard at this point. 

I'm not sure if you can order from Senn direct or not @  idsynchrono_24. I had various Senn IEMs over the course of years and have the large ones as the guys I sold them to couldn't use the large tips.

I don't think I will be upgrading my ASG-1 other than the tips. I will get the AG-2 custom when available, and keep the ASG-1 as my universal. Of course, I could change my mind about the ASG-1 upgrade...lol

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #629 of 2,761
Ah thanks, I guess I'll hop over to their site and take a look around. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what works best for everyone. I have a pretty modest tip selection, and most of them are god knows where at this point since I don't take much of a liking to stock tips. I also just noticed your IEM ranking changed  :wink:

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #630 of 2,761

Quote:
Ah thanks, I guess I'll hop over to their site and take a look around. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what works best for everyone. I have a pretty modest tip selection, and most of them are god knows where at this point since I don't take much of a liking to stock tips. I also just noticed your IEM ranking changed  :wink:

X2.. What size do you generally use? I only have two pair that I know of. If I find another pair (and in your size), I'll send them to you...

Yes, the ASG-1 is the best dynamic driver universal (and one of the best universals period) I've heard. It suits me to a T!!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back