Auris HA2 SF
Mar 28, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #61 of 376
This is my first experience with this issue. I talked to a repair shop in California that was mentioned as an authorized repair center for these amps. He's thinking this is buyers remorse more than something wrong with the amp or someone doesn't know how to use the amp properly but once I get it, if there is an issue, to contact him.

Prior to that, I immediately opened a case with UPS as there was pictures, box damage and amp orientation was no longer seated in the foam properly.

I went ahead and accepted from ebay the return as if it is damaged, I have no options, they sent a shipping label to this person. I've talked by email but he speaks very little english as I opted to talked over the hpone about the amp, so that was out. Once it's returned to me, then we move to the next phase of the return. Which if It is damaged, then it's between me and ups, he gets his money back. I think from there, I'll have to get it repaired or at least get a quote to provide to ups what it will take.

Now if it comes back and nothing is wrong with it... Well, don't know on that one. I've paid shipping, ebay fees. All of this would be possibly because of buyer remorse but we don't know the case yet. Truely could be broken. If it is good, then I'll have a beef that ebay needs to resolved, I'm not paying shipping and fees due to buyers remorse.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #63 of 376
that is an option if I'm still in the 30 days. If it needs to be repaired, I'll have to send it out and wait. Then I'll be past the 30 days. No option to return the Nirvana. Options, well see. I think I'll take some pretty good losses on the $5800 amp. Another option, once I get both in hand, not fixed, good I'll maybe see if this is any interest in one of the two amps, sell the one that I take the less losses and someone has an interest in. If it needs to be fixed, I have the nirvana to hold me over and then when it gets back, again, see if there is any interest in one of the two amps, sell the one that has interest and I won't take too heavy of a loss. I'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #64 of 376
I wanted to give another update. On topic and off topic. I find this good information if anybody has to go through this in the future.

If you purchase insurance through ups, it has damage upon receipt to whom you ship it to, leave it where it's at, do not send back to the sender, this will void your insurance. Contact the ups store you shipped it through and start a claim. They will come to the recipients house and if they approve the claim, they will take receipt of the item shipped and you get your money claimed.

If dealing with ebay and recipient claims an issue with the device, they side with the recipient. You provide shipping back to you, the shipper. If you receive the item and it has no issues (they have to ship back to you in the same condition or this causes a new issue), then you can open up a dispute. Nice can of worms. If you offer a 30 days return, you have the right to claim a percentage to withhold, kind of like a restocking fee. You can recoup some of your losses.

Now, on topic. I've been looking at tube rolling. I purchases different tubes for input and output. The output, el34's are very specific and they were designed with the Nirvana in mind. I sent an email to Auris and the founder, Milomir Trosic answered the email again. He was very adamant about using stock tubes for the output as it was designed around the output tubes provided. This holds true with the HA-2SF as it only has one option, ecc99. He did suggest the input tube can be swapped to change the sound. Same tube between the HA-2SF and Nirvana.

Side note, in regards to el34. I talked with an online tube store in regards to the el34 and his opinion was that using el34's were not very efficent as they were meant for 50 watts per tube versus the 6 watts that the Nirvana uses. This of course is an opinion and I took it with a grain of salt but I found it interesting.

The reason why I reached out to Auris and the tube vendor was because purchasing NOS tubes with the Nirvana, I got a lot of microphonics. I was told that this is common with NOS tubes. No microphonics with the stock Electro Harmonix EL34 tubes, but they're newer and the tube has the ability the dampen the microphonics that are there but not noticeable with stock tubes. So, two choices, well, three. Deal with it, one choice. Use stock tubes, second. Or, use herbie's tube dampeners in combination with feet dampeners. I'm going to look into dampeners today and see if I want to spend another 100 which might not do anything or may, or just list the tubes and someone else can deal with the microphonics.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #65 of 376
@Roikyou that's a bummer about your amp. I actually bid for it, but ultimately was outbidded at the very end so was only the second highest bidder. Out of the two outcomes I really hope it isn't broken and it's more of buyers remorse because it's so much easier to get ebay to side with you than it is for a shipping insurance.

If you haven't received the package yet, I highly recommend you film the entire process of opening the package and testing it, guaranteeing it worked out of the box and should be sufficient proof the buyer returned due to remorse.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #66 of 376
I will take your advice @Inforno in regards to opening and testing.

The funny thing is, there is a part me that says that ups will deny, then he'll send via fedex. So I'll get it later in April, he has till the 12th to ship. So, I'll be paying shipping back and then refunding the amount.

There is a part of me that wants to pick up something simple and let the Nirvana go but another part of me just doesn't want to let the Nirvana go. The smart thing to do would probably pick up a 200 dollar amp and suck it up for a few weeks till the HA-2SF comes back. But, on the flip side, if it's approved, it will be taken and most likely auctioned. Then I'll be out an amp until I pick up something else such as another HA-2SF or just spin another direction, such as Ampsandsound.

If it is broken and does not get the ups approval, then I'll end up shipping it back to California to get fixed (authorized Auris repair center that I already called in regards to this) and wait for it to be shipped back. Plus whatever the repair bill is. So this amp could end up costing me quite a bit. I've been buying and selling since April 2002 with no negative feedback. So I'll make it right regardless how much this lesson will cost me... But if I made the smart choice and picked up a 200 dollar amp and eventually got the HA-2SF back, it's an excellent amp. I'd have a hard time recommending the Nirvana over the HA-2SF.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #67 of 376
anecdotes tell me that claims with carriers are often difficult. i recall one conversation with a dealer regarding insurance, which was in the context of a purchase, where he said that the amount to insure just needs to be enough to move the package up to a certain level of care in terms of delivery. i took this to mean that he had little confidence in the claims process or thought it was overall not worth the trouble, probably through poor experience, and generally did not insure items in full. this didn't mean he would not cover loss, if if occurred; just that the carrier could not be relied on to compensate.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #68 of 376
I know I'm dragging this off topic a little but I just got an email from a buyer of a pair of headphones that I shipped through ups. Insured for 2800 (limited zmf) and the driver left it at the door step with nobody home and signed it covid. Luckily he got the notification and rushed home to get it. I also saw it was delivered and emailed him as I was watching the tracking. It's in his hands now and he's happy but we all know that there are chances for people to snag packages on doorsteps. I turned around and wrote to the manager of our local ups store. Not that it will do anything but they're professionalism lately is really kind of stinks.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #69 of 376
I know I'm dragging this off topic a little but I just got an email from a buyer of a pair of headphones that I shipped through ups. Insured for 2800 (limited zmf) and the driver left it at the door step with nobody home and signed it covid. Luckily he got the notification and rushed home to get it. I also saw it was delivered and emailed him as I was watching the tracking. It's in his hands now and he's happy but we all know that there are chances for people to snag packages on doorsteps. I turned around and wrote to the manager of our local ups store. Not that it will do anything but they're professionalism lately is really kind of stinks.
Well I heard that UPS and FedEx are not requiring signatures even if you choose that option. All they have to do is knock on the door and check someone is home without even asking for a signature. I feel like the drivers just have gotten used to not get requesting a signature that they just drop it at the door without knocking.

I however read that if you put adult signature required for UPS (a few dollars more of expenses) they will request an actual signed signature.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #70 of 376
Well I heard that UPS and FedEx are not requiring signatures even if you choose that option. All they have to do is knock on the door and check someone is home without even asking for a signature. I feel like the drivers just have gotten used to not get requesting a signature that they just drop it at the door without knocking.

I however read that if you put adult signature required for UPS (a few dollars more of expenses) they will request an actual signed signature.
Anything over 1000 dollars automatically adds a signature. If I sell to someone and they ask for signature for less than 1k, I'll gladly as to add it. You have the option to log in and remove the signature as the recipient but then you become liable.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #71 of 376
Anything over 1000 dollars automatically adds a signature. If I sell to someone and they ask for signature for less than 1k, I'll gladly as to add it. You have the option to log in and remove the signature as the recipient but then you become liable.
Well not saying it's not an added feature when you create the shipping. I'm saying more that the drivers nowadays aren't asking for an actual signature. Probably due to covid.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #72 of 376
Well not saying it's not an added feature when you create the shipping. I'm saying more that the drivers nowadays aren't asking for an actual signature. Probably due to covid.
I know and I'm okay with not asking for a signature. It's the not making sure someone is home that bugs me. Confirm someone is home, drop if off six feet away, I'm good.

I just got an immediate call back from the manager and he's calling in to complain. He said this is something that if they don't confirm anyone is home, they can potentially loose they're job. (on a signature item). We should just change the name from signature to confirm someone is home and accepts the package. Just nod in the window and let the drive drop it off at the door.

I've also talked to someone at fedex recently and the amount of shipping over the last year has exceeded what they planned on over the next five years. So I do understand they're getting hit hard but they also have a responsibility to us as consumers.

I work with Iron Mountain and they pick up items, I don't have to sign any more due to covid but we do see each other. They can't just drop off items at the door, sign it covid and run. (ours is business related, so a little extreme example)

I wanted to add a quick pic of the Nirvana that I have with the Corpse Cable 1/4" 10' with ZMF Eikons

IMG_4816.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #73 of 376
I hope everyone doesn't mind the update around the HA-2SF and Nirvana. I can move this to my own thread, just let me know.

So, in regards to the Nirvana, part of the Nirvana was purchased with credit (returned focal clear mg, just didn't care for them) and anything purchased with any amount of store credit or open box with Moon Audio, you can not return. So, three options. Keep it, sell it for a pretty big loss and pick up something simple, sell it and keep the HA-2SF if it's operational. I think I'd have a really hard time going to something simple after owning both the HA-2SF and Nirvana.

In regards to the HA-2SF, turns out the next step in the ups damage, they dropped off a shipping label (no instructions) to ship it to an inspection facility. No idea if denied, will it be shipped to the sender or recipient. I tried the phone support but it's a horrible loop of automated options. I emailed the local ups store, awaiting response. recipient it dropping it off tomorrow. I'll have wait and see what is next.

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #74 of 376
so frustrating that you have to go through this process due to carrier mishandling and, of course, the end result at this point is very unclear. my worst experience with a carrier was when i ordered a pair of $550 grado headphones through ebay and it was delivered to the wrong address but still came up as delivered to me. i had no claim because it was listed as delivered. i eventually figured out that it was delivered to the building next door to mine and after several visits to that owner, finally got the headphones back.

separately, and more on topic, are you enjoying the sound of the nirvana. it looks like a great amp.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #75 of 376
I think I mentioned it before, I really didn't want to let the Nirvana go, it's overkill but so is the HA-2SF. I keep having the itch moving to a high end dac to see if I can get more out of the Nirvana, currently running bifrost2. See if there is another level to the sound with a higher end dac. Thought about the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC. I do like the options of difference resistance with the Nirvana, there is quite a change in the sound signature with each resistance change. They're both amazing amps. I have found that the Nirvana is very sensitive with the driver, EL34 tubes. (I may have mentioned this). I run 1960's mullard's and the vibrations through the tubes was coming from everywhere, from the keyboard, to the desk to the amp. I did not get this from Electro Harmonix EL34 tubes. It was suggested to run Herbie's tube dampners which I have yet to do. (was on the fence about getting rid of the tubes). The tube dampners used with the mullards could bring out a different sound, could be good or bad. Hard to say without trying it.

I went ahead and picked up some herbies but the ship time can be 3 to 4 business days. Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll see what NOS tubes sound like on the Nirvana. Hopefully in the next week or two, I'll find out if the HA-2SF is covered by insurance, if not, I've confirmed that they will be shipping it back to me and I'll have to see if it's running properly. Once they're both running properly, I'll post one for sale. I'll have to make a little better conversation before it's shipped this time around, which ever one I decide to sell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back