AURALiC owners unite!
Dec 30, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,058 of 2,392
I use my Auralic stack Taurus MK2 with VEGA and there is some background noise when I'm using it with my Grado GH1. Is this because Grado headphones are so sensitive?

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #2,060 of 2,392
Hi folks

I snagged a pre-owned Taurus MkII recently and am very happy with how it sounds. However, I noticed that there was s sound coming from within the case when I moved it, that suggested sonething was a wee bit loose in there. I then noticed that the large silver nut on the underside of the case was slightly loose. I finger-tightened the nut, which seemed to sort the problem.

I checked the user instructions and sesrched the Web but couldn’t find any information about the silver nut on the Taurus’s underside. Does anybody kniw what the function of this nut is and what it’s connected to inside the case?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,061 of 2,392
I checked the user instructions and sesrched the Web but couldn’t find any information about the silver nut on the Taurus’s underside. Does anybody kniw what the function of this nut is and what it’s connected to inside the case?
This is purely a guess. I would venture that it's the nut that fastens the transformer to the chassis of the DAC. Usually you have small screws that fasten "stand offs" to the chassis and circuit boards are mounted to those. In a lot of audio gear the big power supply transformer "doughnut" is usually fastened to the chassis with a single large nut.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,062 of 2,392
This is purely a guess. I would venture that it's the nut that fastens the transformer to the chassis of the DAC. Usually you have small screws that fasten "stand offs" to the chassis and circuit boards are mounted to those. In a lot of audio gear the big power supply transformer "doughnut" is usually fastened to the chassis with a single large nut.

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a very pkausable explanation to me. It dud sound like domething substantial that was loose, such as a transformer.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #2,064 of 2,392
Checking in as I am interested in the new Vega G2.
Strangely enough I could not find a specific thread nor a review.
Confused...
I don't believe there is a thread on any of the products specifically. I have the last gen vega and love it but think its overpriced new myself. I am not sure of the actual sonic differences between the 2 but can say the vega is a very good dac that won't disappoint you if you can get over the price. The new look of the G2 is very nice and beats the orange glow from the old series.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2,065 of 2,392
Hi all, I've been using the Taurus Mk ii as a headphone amp for a while. I am about to get some active speakers, and wish to use the SE line output from the Auralic as a preamp.

When I looked at the Taurus Mk ii manual, I found the following sentence: "AURALiC recommended you only connecting RCA or XLR outputs at the same time for best sonic performance." Does this mean line outputs only? or should I also avoid having RCA line out plugged in while listening to a headphone via XLR output (or even SE output for that matter)?

It would be quite difficult to unplug the line out cable every time I want to listen to a headphone...

Would love to hear from people if they find it easy to use as both head amp and preamp.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #2,067 of 2,392
OK, I can update that:
1. The Taurus Mk ii seem to work flawlessly as a preamp to my pair of active speakers (Advance Acoustic Air 55) - no problems with gain etc.
2. Headphone XLR output appears unaffected when RCA pream output cables are connected.
3. However, listening to the active speakers (and having the Taurus output set to STD) will still send a signal out of the XLR headphone output, which does seem to slightly impact the signal going to the speakers - so, need to disconnect headphones when using as preamp, but no need to disconnect the preamp output when listening to headphones.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #2,068 of 2,392
Has the Auralic Taurus been discontinued? I was considering getting one but somebody said they were.

May 7, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2,069 of 2,392
Just took a quick listen with my Taurus MkII that just arrived versus my EF-6 and the Liquid Carbon V1. Surprisingly, the Taurus MkII sounds VERY similar to the Carbon - very clean with great balance - but I am noticing a slight veiling possibly like there's something between me and the sound just blunting the experience on both of them. In a blind test I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you've got access to a Liquid Carbon V1, then you know what the Taurus MkII will sound like. I still favor the EF-6. It's a lot more fun to listen to it with my LCD-2F

Hmmm....guess with a different DAC, the Taurus and Carbon may sound better than they do now. Hopefully. I'll hang onto it for now and maybe use it for the bedroom if I can find a DAC that will pair with it. I know, the Vega. But at this point it's a little cost prohibitive unless I can find a great deal somewhere
How do you connect your DAC to the Taurus MkII? XLR, or RCA?

May 7, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #2,070 of 2,392
@thomascrown - thanks for the correction man - that certainly makes sense logically.

My issue started to present itself before I got my Gumby - and while it is possible the same issue was happening to my previous DAC, it doesn't explain the issue still being present when nothing is connected to the Taurus. So to clarify, the issue is still there when nothing is connected to the MKII (ie. only power input).

It has gotten much worse now, to a point where I can't even use Balanced. Looks like it's defective, which is a shame.

Please note also, there still doesn't appear to be any issue in Standard mode. I can use it normally as long as it is not in Balanced.

A question for you: have you reached out to Auralic support for your issue at all? You mention that you don't use Balanced mode - which I used exclusively and is the only mode I have issues with... it is possible you might have the same issue as me, but it's not as bad due to lack of utilisation of Balanced. May be better to get some advice if warranty still applies.

My serial is 28XX - so if it is close it could be from the same batch? I'm seeking advice from Auralic now, and will reach out to the reseller next week with regard to an RMA.
Was your issue with a MkII? I had a MkII that I just returned because feeding it from the Gumby via XLR made the music sound congested and almost as though some sounds came across as gargling. I returned the MkII and ordered a brand new one in the hopes that it isn't an equipment synergy problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back