AURALiC owners unite!
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,786 of 2,392
  Hello all - I need your help with the following. I have an Auralic Gemini and an AK240 with lots of DSD files that I mainly use as transport. I would like to feed the Gemini with the DSD files on the AK. I can't find a conclusive answer whether this is possible and which of the three ports on the Gemini (http://www.auralic.com/gemini/#Connections) I should use. Also, what cable would I need to connect the AK240 to my Gemini? Pretty new around here, so any help much appreciated. Will post this in the AK240 forum too. Thanks, Pieter

Toslink (with mini Toslink adapter at the AK240)! The unbalanced output of the AK240 is also a mini Toslink output.

If you have the money left, try a good quartz (not plastic) toslink cable like QED Reference Optical Quartz. You will hear the difference! I use it between AK240 and Auralic Vega.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,787 of 2,392
Toslink (with mini Toslink adapter at the AK240)! The unbalanced output of the AK240 is also a mini Toslink output.

If you have the money left, try a good quartz (not plastic) toslink cable like QED Reference Optical Quartz. You will hear the difference! I use it between AK240 and Auralic Vega.

[FLOAT=LEFT]

[/FLOAT]

Word of caution, there's a reason why plastic is preferable over glass for optical fibre. Material isn't the only factor in building a proper cable: http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Relevant part is halfway. Because glass works with bundles it'll never match the aperture spec. Before you buy a very expensive cable try the blue jeans ones, they have a very relaxed return policy for this cable. I have it in my system and it performs flawlessly

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,788 of 2,392
  I did both. Somehow I had the impression that the SE cable was the best option even though logically it should be the same from the balanced output switched to SE. There is always a problem of perceived loudness and necessity to compensate with volume control. Just subjective impressions.

I should perhaps add that the whole debate on whether to go the SE or balanced way concerns, from my point of view, exclusively the headphone connection. As for the connection between a DAC (Vega or Bryston BDA-1 in my case) and the Taurus, I always prefer the balanced way, irrespective of whether the headphone is SE or balanced connected. It simply sounds better.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,789 of 2,392
deleted, double post

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,790 of 2,392
  Hello all - I need your help with the following. I have an Auralic Gemini and an AK240 with lots of DSD files that I mainly use as transport. I would like to feed the Gemini with the DSD files on the AK. I can't find a conclusive answer whether this is possible and which of the three ports on the Gemini (http://www.auralic.com/gemini/#Connections) I should use. Also, what cable would I need to connect the AK240 to my Gemini? Pretty new around here, so any help much appreciated. Will post this in the AK240 forum too. Thanks, Pieter

Pieter, I have an Auralic Gemini 2000, though do not have an AK240 (I use an Auralic Aries full femto version).

A couple of recommendations;

(1) Lifatec TOSLINK / MINIPLUG Premium Silflex Glass Cable 
I have a couple of Lifatec Toslink cables (though not with Miniplug at one end, which is what you need to connect to the AK240).
Glass fibre, cost about $70. A noticeable improvement over $10 cables from my local electronics shop.
I do not do DSD, just resample everything to 24/96, and the Lifatec works great (this would be my first choice).

(2) Blue Jeans Cables
I also have a couple of Blue Jeans cables (S/PDIF Coax and others).
They make great cables at a very fair price, including Toslink plastic cables (less expensive than the Lifatec).

Whichever brand or cable type (glass or plastic) that you end up choosing, one thing I recommend is to try to avoid using a miniplug adapter.
That is, get this
*** Toslink/Miniplug
not this ...
*** Toslink/Toslink with miniplug adapter.
It is not all about the type of cable (glass or plastic), the connectors matter.

Good luck.

John

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,791 of 2,392
Need some help please.  I have been in contact with Auralic about the Vega firmware upgrade.  Mine would have to go to mainland China for probably 2 months for a firmware and hardware upgrade.  Cost would be about $350 including shipping.  Who out there has had the upgrade? Was there any benefit other than ability to play DSD 256?  Would it help resale value if at some point I sell the Vega?  At this time I have no DSD files.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,794 of 2,392
  Need some help please.  I have been in contact with Auralic about the Vega firmware upgrade.  Mine would have to go to mainland China for probably 2 months for a firmware and hardware upgrade.  Cost would be about $350 including shipping.  Who out there has had the upgrade? Was there any benefit other than ability to play DSD 256?  Would it help resale value if at some point I sell the Vega?  At this time I have no DSD files.  Any help would be appreciated.

I just received mine back. I got the upgrade for free (the deadline was Oct. 2015), so it was an easy decision for me. Like you, I figured that II should get the upgrade to preserve resale value, even though I'm not interested in DSD personally. You should know that the upgrade took three months (door to door) and I had to pay for insured shipping to Rhode Island. (All in all, a very generous deal -- thanks Auralic!) If you had gotten the free upgrade, it would certainly be worth it for resale value, but for $350 + shipping, I doubt you will do any better than breaking even.  My impression is that the DSD fad has peaked and now MQA is the new shiny thing.

Both my hardware (1.2->1.3) and firmware (1.5->2.0) were upgraded. I see some small differences in the menu interface and I think perhaps the sound is better, but with a three month gap, I really can't be sure. Keep in mind that I had an early model, so any improvement I got might already have been there for later models.

I'm listening right now: Vega->Cavalli Carbon->Ether C and it sounds really great.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,795 of 2,392

I just received mine back. I got the upgrade for free (the deadline was Oct. 2015), so it was an easy decision for me. Like you, I figured that II should get the upgrade to preserve resale value, even though I'm not interested in DSD personally. You should know that the upgrade took three months (door to door) and I had to pay for insured shipping to Rhode Island. (All in all, a very generous deal -- thanks Auralic!) If you had gotten the free upgrade, it would certainly be worth it for resale value, but for $350 + shipping, I doubt you will do any better than breaking even.  My impression is that the DSD fad has peaked and now MQA is the new shiny thing.

Both my hardware (1.2->1.3) and firmware (1.5->2.0) were upgraded. I see some small differences in the menu interface and I think perhaps the sound is better, but with a three month gap, I really can't be sure. Keep in mind that I had an early model, so any improvement I got might already have been there for later models.

I'm listening right now: Vega->Cavalli Carbon->Ether C and it sounds really great.

Thanks for the reply.  I doubt breaking even would be in the ballpark.  If there was a real noticeable increase in sound quality I would go ahead.  On another forum and Facebook Auralic is promising a 3 week turnaround.  From what I read Auralic's promises are somewhat iffy.  The $350 includes shipping both ways but I was anticipating a 200-250 figure.  Since I don't have any DSD files and there is little discernible increase in SQ I think I will pass.  That $350 can go to an upgrade should I decide to sell the Vega

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #1,796 of 2,392
Did anybody listen to Vega and Taurus mkii with hd800 S and he1000.

Which headphone did win?

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,797 of 2,392
  Did anybody listen to Vega and Taurus mkii with hd800 S and he1000.

Which headphone did win?

I don't have the VEGA, but I do have the Taurus mk2. The winner is definitely the HD800S. The HE1000 is a good sounding headphone, but the HD800S is a bit better, way cheaper, and far better built. The original HD800 is a bit bright with the VEGA and Taurus mk2, not unbearably so, just a little bit. The HD800S works very well with the Taurus mk2, but I haven't heard it with the Vega+Taurus combo, only with the Taurus. 

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #1,798 of 2,392
I have a Vega + Taurus MKII in my second setup (usually used with the HE6) and I have auditioned the 800S for 2 weeks (stock cable).

on the Taurus prefer the HEK (sound and also appearance, I find the 800s too plasticky), but the 800S is not so far anddefinitely a very nice performer, and given the price I would say also a very good price/perf 

I've also tried the 800S with my first setup (Analog + Halgorythme 300B), and in this case I must honestly say there is no contest. HEK scales really much better.

of course the above is IMHO and YMMV

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,800 of 2,392
  I have a Vega + Taurus MKII in my second setup (usually used with the HE6) and I have auditioned the 800S for 2 weeks (stock cable).

on the Taurus prefer the HEK (sound and also appearance, I find the 800s too plasticky), but the 800S is not so far anddefinitely a very nice performer, and given the price I would say also a very good price/perf 

I've also tried the 800S with my first setup (Analog + Halgorythme 300B), and in this case I must honestly say there is no contest. HEK scales really much better.

of course the above is IMHO and YMMV

Do you like your vega + taurus mk2 with he6? I usually use my lcd3 and love it so far...maybe he6 would be a good second pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back