AURALiC owners unite!
Jun 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,771 of 2,392
  Just popping in and perhaps the answer was already given but I couldn't find it: 

In the Taurus MK2 the inclusion of the blue alps pot means that the balanced signal becomes single-ended at that point meaning that the Taurus isn't really fully differential anymore? This would also mean that the balanced out of the amp really isn't balanced at all right?

It seemed to be the case, and furthermore the lack of a gain choosing switch is a bit of cons, it appeared to be too powerful at balanced with a line input and using HifiMan HE-500, I have to dial the volume knob around 8:30 position, where the lowest point is something like 6:30, a bit of channel imbalance may be heard

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,772 of 2,392
It seemed to be the case, and furthermore the lack of a gain choosing switch is a bit of cons, it appeared to be too powerful at balanced with a line input and using HifiMan HE-500, I have to dial the volume knob around 8:30 position, where the lowest point is something like 6:30, a bit of channel imbalance may be heard

Yup, even with my he-6 I don't get past 9. Probably I'll tame the sound with a passive attenuator (this one to be exact: http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/m-patch-v2)

Bought it to switch one dac to multiple amps but the passive volume circuitry is a godsend

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #1,773 of 2,392
Just curious about something.

A friend of mine just got a Taurus MK2, and we compare balanced to SE with both his HD800s and my He1000s. Both of us preferred the SE by a huge margin with both cans. The SE had more warmth, had better timing, better flow, and sounded more natural.

From what I could see in this thread it would seem that most people run the am in balanced mode. I was wondering what led people to run the amp balanced.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,774 of 2,392
I can concur to this only partially. With LCD-X the SE is clearly preferred - sound is more dynamic and faster, with better transients, whereas with HD600 and especially HD800 I prefer the balanced connection - more transparent, more air, wider and enveloping soundstage.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #1,775 of 2,392
The quality of cables also play a role based on my ears. I did hear bigger difference between SE and Balanced when I was using cheap cables. But with high-end transparent cables, the differences are marginal when going SE or balanced according to my eas. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #1,776 of 2,392
  The quality of cables also play a role based on my ears. I did hear bigger difference between SE and Balanced when I was using cheap cables. But with high-end transparent cables, the differences are marginal when going SE or balanced according to my eas. 

Well, we were using both Wireworld platinum and Cardas Clear. The Balanced had much less body and drive.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,777 of 2,392
  I can concur to this only partially. With LCD-X the SE is clearly preferred - sound is more dynamic and faster, with better transients, whereas with HD600 and especially HD800 I prefer the balanced connection - more transparent, more air, wider and enveloping soundstage.

Are your HD800s modded or standard.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,778 of 2,392
Hello all - I need your help with the following. I have an Auralic Gemini and an AK240 with lots of DSD files that I mainly use as transport. I would like to feed the Gemini with the DSD files on the AK. I can't find a conclusive answer whether this is possible and which of the three ports on the Gemini (http://www.auralic.com/gemini/#Connections) I should use. Also, what cable would I need to connect the AK240 to my Gemini? Pretty new around here, so any help much appreciated. Will post this in the AK240 forum too. Thanks, Pieter

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,782 of 2,392

The Taurus isn't a "classic balanced design" as in balanced = two SE amps running together, hence twice the power (more like Violectrics V281 approach). It somehow delivers loads more power SE into low impedances. From the manual:
32ohm 4500mW SE - 1200mW Bal
120ohm 1200mW SE - 4500mW Bal
300ohm 500mW SE - 2000mW Bal
600ohm 250mW SE - 1000mW Bal

I'm no expert, nor really convinced by any balanced advantages like noise reduction (cables too short for that... for professional 100m cable runs, yep there I get it),... What I do tend to believe, is the simple rule that more power = better driver control hence sound.

Your 22 Ohm LCD-X plays right into the Taurus' SE strong point. For HD800 (S), the Taurus has 4 times as much power on tap when used balanced!

Both SE and balanced cables original Audeze and Sennheiser, nothing upmarket.

Wouldn't it be a fairer comparison using the balanced cable all the time and compare SE with balanced by pushing that button? It would seem to exclude unnecessary influencing factors. Or am I seeing things wrong?

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,783 of 2,392
Just curious about something.

A friend of mine just got a Taurus MK2, and we compare balanced to SE with both his HD800s and my He1000s. Both of us preferred the SE by a huge margin with both cans. The SE had more warmth, had better timing, better flow, and sounded more natural.

From what I could see in this thread it would seem that most people run the am in balanced mode. I was wondering what led people to run the amp balanced.

OK, so I am to understand that the Balanced option with the HD800 enhanced their already strong soundstage and top end clarity?

To my ears, yes. HE1000 will be far better served SE however according to the above numbers (35 Ohm +-3 Ohm).

However, for recreational listening, I understand that a looser drive of the HD800 can sound more enjoyable once in a while. But then I guess the (sometimes clinical or unnatural) tonality, amount of detail and openness of the HD800 isn't your ultimate taste maybe, to the point that enhancing this technical tour de force starts bothering you?

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,784 of 2,392
The Taurus isn't a "classic balanced design" as in balanced = two SE amps running together, hence twice the power (more like Violectrics V281 approach). It somehow delivers loads more power SE into low impedances. From the manual:
32ohm 4500mW SE - 1200mW Bal
120ohm 1200mW SE - 4500mW Bal
300ohm 500mW SE - 2000mW Bal
600ohm 250mW SE - 1000mW Bal

I'm no expert, nor really convinced by any balanced advantages like noise reduction (cables too short for that... for professional 100m cable runs, yep there I get it),... What I do tend to believe, is the simple rule that more power = better driver control hence sound.

Your 22 Ohm LCD-X plays right into the Taurus' SE strong point. For HD800 (S), the Taurus has 4 times as much power on tap when used balanced!
Wouldn't it be a fairer comparison using the balanced cable all the time and compare SE with balanced by pushing that button? It would seem to exclude unnecessary influencing factors. Or am I seeing things wrong?

Well it IS a bit misleading to call it balanced headphone amplifier if you're not really doing differential balancing if you ask me.

Having said that, I do love it. It's a fantastic amp. I personally like balanced because it really does have superior noise rejection and I'm just a stickler for technical perfection. Which is also what makes it such a shame. From the (very quick mind you) looks at the topology it IS completely balanced but it get's forced into single ended at the volume control and then everything becomes balanced again.

I switched it exactly like that though: balanced connection and switching between SE and BAL output. Not much difference but I slightly prefered the BAL connection.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,785 of 2,392
I did both. Somehow I had the impression that the SE cable was the best option even though logically it should be the same from the balanced output switched to SE. There is always a problem of perceived loudness and necessity to compensate with volume control. Just subjective impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back