AURALiC owners unite!
May 20, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,756 of 2,392
Eddie Current stuff is nice I think. I'm really satisfied with both auralics they let me enjoy life every evening. If i would go for a tube amp it would be a rich, warm sounding one. Maybe woo wa6 or so.

May 23, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,759 of 2,392
@Lavakugel

The Auralic Vega is very good, but rather on the bright side. The Auralic Taurus MKII is definitely bright, too. So this combination is good for the "dark" Audezes, but not for HE-1000, HE-6, Sennheiser HD 800 (S), AKG K812 etc., in my opinion. I had Vega and Taurus II, before I replaced the  Taurus II with the more neutral to slightly "warm" Violectric V281. It is much better with the Vega and I am still very satisfied with this combination!

If I would go for a tube amp, it would be AudioValve Luminare or Solaris! Incredibly good sound. Definitely not cheap, but the best amps I have ever heard.
L3000.gif

May 24, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #1,761 of 2,392
Could anybody please advise me on a good Windows application to control the Aries? (Since Auralic never delivers themselves when it comes to non Apple software...)
Biggest "problem": I need it to stream Tidal...

I use BubbleUPNP on my Android phone, but it's far easier to use a Windows interface and especially a full keyboard when using my computer...

Thank yu!

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,762 of 2,392
What have former Vega owners upgraded to? I have a small time window to make some tough decisions, so thank you for your fast answers!

Are there people who can compare with Schiit's Yggdrasil? (I already read @Atomicbob's comparison, but it's one of the very few direct comparisons...)

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #1,763 of 2,392
I have upgraded to MSB Analog.

Could seems that I have changed also my sonic tastes, but it's not so.... I can only describe the Analog as being a better Vega, but with more "musicality" and "analogness" (whatever this could mean).

Vega is a great DAC at its pricelist, in my experience you will have to spend much more money to upgrade and not to just sidegrade...... unfortunately, no free lunch here......

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,764 of 2,392
I have upgraded to MSB Analog.

Could seems that I have changed also my sonic tastes, but it's not so.... I can only describe the Analog as being a better Vega, but with more "musicality" and "analogness" (whatever this could mean).

Vega is a great DAC at its pricelist, in my experience you will have to spend much more money to upgrade and not to just sidegrade...... unfortunately, no free lunch here......

Thank you for the quick answer :)
Have you auditioned a Schiit Yggdrasil? The price tag seems to make it an odd duck to "upgrade" to, but some people regard it very highly.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #1,765 of 2,392
yup, listened to the Yggy last dec with a Ragnarok and my HE1000.... unfortunately wasn't able to listen to it with my own ampli.... sound sig seemed to me (YMMV) a little bit too "dry", and IMVHO I would consider it a sidegrade to the Vega (i.e.similar overall quality, with a slightly different sound sig).
I was told that maybe this is because Yggy needs to be powered up all the time, and the one I auditioned was up only for a night......

of course all the above will depend on your specific taste and the rig used

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,766 of 2,392
  yup, listened to the Yggy last dec with a Ragnarok and my HE1000.... unfortunately wasn't able to listen to it with my own ampli.... sound sig seemed to me (YMMV) a little bit too "dry", and IMVHO I would consider it a sidegrade to the Vega (i.e.similar overall quality, with a slightly different sound sig).
I was told that maybe this is because Yggy needs to be powered up all the time, and the one I auditioned was up only for a night......

of course all the above will depend on your specific taste and the rig used

I agree with this post.  I have had the Vega for a year and been very happy using it with a Woo WA5 and a Cavalli Liquid Carbon.  I recently ordered a Cavalli Liquid Gold and now with my amp situation taken care of for the foreseeable future I will turn my attention to a new DAC.  At the top of my list is the Metrum Acoustics Pavane.  I listened to one in a Stax system last month and was very impressed.  They are a Dutch company so it should be relatively easy for you to audition and buy.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,767 of 2,392
Not a former Vega owner but I've spent considerable time with it in my system over the past few years. I think if you desire "that" type of sound, Vega is among the best out there at any price. My Calyx Femto is similar and at times I think slightly better in a few areas but overall I'd give the nod to the Vega, despite costing less than half the price and weighing quite a bit less too. My Esoteric D-07x is in the same boat.... more expensive, bigger/heavier, more flashy looking, but overall probably not as enjoyable in most systems. Vega is an excellent DAC and reminds me of the older dCS stacks (maybe the new ones too but I haven't experienced those).

Most people I know who moved on from Vega did so to achieve a more "musical" sound. One friend moved around for a while and settled on a Modwright Elyse, another ended up with some expensive APL beast, and another went with the Resonessence Labs Invicta (after hearing mine in his system, he was hooked!). All of these sell for considerably more than the Vega, which is a testament to the achievement Auralic has made. Seriously, as much as I enjoy the Taurus, I think Vega is a more "significant" product in the grand scheme of things.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #1,769 of 2,392
I have both the Vega and the Taurus MkII. The Vega is absolutely fabulous with my Stax rig but for some mysterious reason, maybe system dependent, I prefer the Taurus (with Sennheiser HD800) being fed from my old Bryston BDA-1. The synergy seems better. I tried to experiment a bit as I did not want to believe my ears but the results were relatively consistent.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,770 of 2,392
Just popping in and perhaps the answer was already given but I couldn't find it: 

In the Taurus MK2 the inclusion of the blue alps pot means that the balanced signal becomes single-ended at that point meaning that the Taurus isn't really fully differential anymore? This would also mean that the balanced out of the amp really isn't balanced at all right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back