AURALiC owners unite!
May 7, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,741 of 2,392
I recently discovered my 2 years old Taurus make some noise when using its rca pre amp out
While headphone out is completely normal, once I use the preamp to connect to my fostex pm0.4D it keeps having a lot of intervening noise which is troublesome

I have tried to directly connect the speakers to the dac and its fine.

The noise is like when you short circuit the rca connector by finger or whatever but goes stronger

Anyone have thoughts about it?

May 8, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #1,742 of 2,392
  Did anybody try hd 800s with auralic vega and taurus?

It is a good pairing balanced however I still preferred the Vega with tube amps like the WA5LE for a more full bodied presentation. I think the auralic stack provides nice transparency and air to warm planars and hd650. I think more synergy with LCD3f and HEK but the hd800 is nice and controlled treble on the slightly warm but dry side.

May 8, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,743 of 2,392
It is a good pairing balanced however I still preferred the Vega with tube amps like the WA5LE for a more full bodied presentation. I think the auralic stack provides nice transparency and air to warm planars and hd650. I think more synergy with LCD3f and HEK but the hd800 is nice and controlled treble on the slightly warm but dry side.

Ditto, while I enjoy my Taurus with the HD800, the synergy with my LCD-3f is spectacular.

May 8, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #1,745 of 2,392
The balanced and single-ended analog inputs are individually buffered, however, it is still strongly recommended to disconnect unused ports to avoid any potential electromagnetic interference induced by cable. 

Its all disconnected

And I wonder that when I turned off my Taurus and try to plug in the rca cable, he'll lot of noise appeared when the core of rca cable touched the outside of the rca jack, is that normal?

May 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,746 of 2,392
Its all disconnected

And I wonder that when I turned off my Taurus and try to plug in the rca cable, he'll lot of noise appeared when the core of rca cable touched the outside of the rca jack, is that normal?

yes that is very normal

May 19, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,748 of 2,392
Has anybody tried vega with a good tube amp which is about the same level as taurus? Any recommandations?

May 19, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,749 of 2,392
  Has anybody tried vega with a good tube amp which is about the same level as taurus? Any recommandations?

I really liked my Taurus with the Vega, but decided to pursue the amp that I first fell in love with.....the Eddie Current Zana Deux. I find the pairing with the Vega to be very good.........I didn't have the opportunity to demo side by side, but I'm extremely happy with the Vega and ZDS. Probably not a helpful post at all, but at least one person has gone from the Taurus to a decent tube amp playing from the Vega :) 

May 19, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,750 of 2,392
  I really liked my Taurus with the Vega, but decided to pursue the amp that I first fell in love with.....the Eddie Current Zana Deux. I find the pairing with the Vega to be very good.........I didn't have the opportunity to demo side by side, but I'm extremely happy with the Vega and ZDS. Probably not a helpful post at all, but at least one person has gone from the Taurus to a decent tube amp playing from the Vega :) 

I really liked the Taurus- how do they compare?

May 19, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,751 of 2,392

I really liked the Taurus- how do they compare?

I was able to compare the sound of the Taurus and an original ZD at a meet......both were excellent........this was basically a 20 minute demo, going back and forth. I sold the Taurus and several weeks later I received the ZDS, so no direct comparison. With my Fostex TH900's, there wasn't anything I didn't like about the Taurus - it wasn't that I was disappointed with it or tired of it.......it was just that nagging, "What if?" that eventually pushed me. I don't have good aural memory, so I can't describe...."The Taurus exhibited 'x' and the ZDS provides 'y'" I also would not like to step into a potential trap of saying, "the Taurus had a 'solid state' type of sound, and the ZDS has a 'tubey' type of sound'......that is asking to be flamed. I know I sound pretty ignorant (I just enjoy the music....you know?), but the two friends that were at the meet (who have much better ears / memory than me) could offer additional comments if needed. Sorry I can't be more helpful. 

May 19, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,752 of 2,392
  I was able to compare the sound of the Taurus and an original ZD at a meet......both were excellent........this was basically a 20 minute demo, going back and forth. I sold the Taurus and several weeks later I received the ZDS, so no direct comparison. With my Fostex TH900's, there wasn't anything I didn't like about the Taurus - it wasn't that I was disappointed with it or tired of it.......it was just that nagging, "What if?" that eventually pushed me. I don't have good aural memory, so I can't describe...."The Taurus exhibited 'x' and the ZDS provides 'y'" I also would not like to step into a potential trap of saying, "the Taurus had a 'solid state' type of sound, and the ZDS has a 'tubey' type of sound'......that is asking to be flamed. I know I sound pretty ignorant (I just enjoy the music....you know?), but the two friends that were at the meet (who have much better ears / memory than me) could offer additional comments if needed. Sorry I can't be more helpful. 

Just wondering - I've always been curious about the ZD because I've heard good things about it that's all thanks.

May 19, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #1,753 of 2,392

Just wondering - I've always been curious about the ZD because I've heard good things about it that's all thanks.

No worries :) I wish I could articulate these concepts more effectively. I'm awed by my friends who can pick apart nuances of difference between this condition and that condition. 

I will say that I am throughly enjoying the ZDS. Some have summarized the Vega as resolving, maybe a bit edgy......and they have said that a decent tube amp like the ZDS (with a sampling of drive tubes) could have wonderful synergy with the Vega. I need to invite my friend Jason up to the house to take a good listen, and I believe he would do a better job at describing they compliment of Vega and Zana. 

May 19, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,754 of 2,392
I sold my Taurus and picked up a Trafomatic Head 2. I'll repost my impressions I just posted a sec ago on that thread: "The dynamic power depth and control is impressive on this amp. There is air, depth and transparency but through a warm midrange but with power and control so imaging is rich. It does not have the ethereal air and delicate warmth of a DHT but it's not missing anything "just different." Using balanced cables HEK sounds rich and fast and bass has dimension. There's some tube static might have gone loose in transport? I'll have to try tube rolling 6922."
Compared to the Taurus- Taurus is more neutral- Taurus is neutral, transparent with a slight kind of dry warmth. If you want a neutral pre-amp/headphone Taurus is the way to go.

Anyone know how the Rag compares?

May 20, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,755 of 2,392
Meantime over in the streaming corner I have finally resolved  my crappy broadband problem and now have a brand shiny new 4G router. So time at last to fire up the Aries Mini. In fairness even I was able to get it up and running via the app on my phone so it must really be easy. Anyhow just to say I am enjoying the streaming experience much better now with no fan noise and no lag period for the tracks to start up or change. Hurrah 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back