AURALiC ARIES
Oct 11, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #46 of 275
  I have been using a Macbook pro with Amarra running on it connected to a Resonessence Concero HD.

The SQ now using the Aries wired with Audoquest Diamond RJ45 cables is defenitely a lot better than the Macbook and also better than the Linn Akurate DS1 I have been using before.

The Lightning DS app is not very slick right now, but improves with rising version numbers.

I did like the Lumin app a lot, that worked until the Firmware upgrade to 1.8.2 for the Aries.

Now the Lumin App does not see the Aries any more on the network.

Best,
Matthias

Amarra 3.0?

Thanks for your impressions. I was really looking for someone to compare 3.0 vs Aries. BTW do you run Amarra on everything disabled?

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #47 of 275
I have of course been using my Macbook Pro with everything turned off, while playing music via Amarra 3.0.

The Macbook has an i7 Processor 8GB ram and internal SSD.

Data was transferred to my Resonessence Concero HD via an Auidioquest Diamond USB cable running through an Aubisque USB filter.

After trying different sources I felt that it sounded best playing the files, when they were stored on a Nifty drive. (see attached pic)

Best,
Matthias

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #48 of 275
Thanks, that's actually quite useful. I think I have a similar setup as you. Retina mid 2012, 2.6 GHz, i7, 500GB SSD.

Which Aries setup is sounding the best to you so far, playing off local storage (USB), through one of the wireless streaming services, or hardwired/wireless NAS setup?

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #49 of 275
It is not yet possible to play the files off a SSD directly from a connected USB disc. This will follow with one of the next firmware upgrades for the Aries.

So far I do prefer the wired connection.

For details and pics pls read this thread;

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/index14.html

Best,
Matthias

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #51 of 275
I will buy it the day the USB HD is implemented.  I promis !    (I do not want to mess with network & NAS)

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #52 of 275
Got my Aries today.
And i know it is quite early....
But, i tried it wirelessly with my main rig, and was quite disappointed. This is vs a stock macbook pro running usb to the PS Audio directstream.

Wired, it seems to be a touch better. But the kicker is that i bought it to be a wireless streamer.

I went to the trouble of buying a dang $300 enterprise class router, and usb 3.0 NAS.
I read all the hype about how the aries is supposed to smoke a macbook.
So... i am sincerely hoping that the aries improves over the first few days.....

For those curious, my impression is that the aries is lacking in macro and micro dynamics, nuance, and prat.
The noise floor is quite low. Equal to my macbook but surprisingly not better.
And there is absolutely no glare, and no harshness. Which is good.
But, the music is just somewhat flat...

Fingers crossed... :xf_eek:

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #53 of 275
Got my Aries today.
And i know it is quite early....
But, i tried it wirelessly with my main rig, and was quite disappointed. This is vs a stock macbook pro running usb to the PS Audio directstream.

Wired, it seems to be a touch better. But the kicker is that i bought it to be a wireless streamer.

I went to the trouble of buying a dang $300 enterprise class router, and usb 3.0 NAS.
I read all the hype about how the aries is supposed to smoke a macbook.
So... i am sincerely hoping that the aries improves over the first few days.....

For those curious, my impression is that the aries is lacking in macro and micro dynamics, nuance, and prat.
The noise floor is quite low. Equal to my macbook but surprisingly not better.
And there is absolutely no glare, and no harshness. Which is good.
But, the music is just somewhat flat...

Fingers crossed...
redface.gif

How are you connecting the Aries to your DAC? SPDIF or USB? I hear that the USB is better.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #56 of 275
I'm not sure that's even a possibilty with my set up, sandab.
After all, the auralic is streaming pcm cd-quality music directly from a usb networked drive.
There is no intermediary. So 44.1 stays 44.1. And 16 bit stays 16 bit.

The sound over ethernet is better than wireless at this point.
Which, i'm not surprised to say, tells me that wireless streaming is not quite ready for end-game level of scrutiny.

We will see. The aries is at least good enough to replace a cd player in my second rig. Lol.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #57 of 275
I was looking at it for it's ease of use, wireless streaming services, better/cleaner power and clocking abilities. I'm also currently on a stock Macbook pro retina w/Amarra 3.0

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #58 of 275
In that case I would look at noise sources.  The wireless antenna needs to be a distance from the DAC, and the USB to the DAC can use some cleanup like a Wyrd as the Aries USB going to be a huge antenna for the Wifi.  The Aries needs to be in an injection-filtered outlet, preferably on different circuit from the DAC.  All the same things as one can observe with the Airport Express and AppleTV.  I sometimes stream to my headphones with an AE and if I put it too close to the AC, USB, or AES3/coax cables I can hear it.  3' away it's hard to tell in my setup; I keep it on a different circuit 10' away.

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #59 of 275
My Aries (with fempto clocks and upgraded PSU) arrived, but I will be wrapping it up and putting it under the tree. I do have a NAS, but will be replacing it soon with a DIY build Win8.1 server running Minimserver.

I currently have a DIY fanless PC using JRiver through a USB-SPDIF converter to my AudioNoteKit 4.1LE DAC.  The Aries will be feeding SPDIF through the XLR connector directly to my DAC.

I am in the build process for a DDDAC, which will be a USB input from the Aries.

I will be using wired, but may experiment with the wireless.  My DIY PC currently is wired, but has local storage for the music containing HD.  The NAS feeds the Sonos throughout the house.  Tidal will work with the Aries already I think, and the Sonos with time.

Impressions after Christmas....

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #60 of 275
  My Aries (with fempto clocks and upgraded PSU) arrived, but I will be wrapping it up and putting it under the tree. I do have a NAS, but will be replacing it soon with a DIY build Win8.1 server running Minimserver.

I currently have a DIY fanless PC using JRiver through a USB-SPDIF converter to my AudioNoteKit 4.1LE DAC.  The Aries will be feeding SPDIF through the XLR connector directly to my DAC.

I am in the build process for a DDDAC, which will be a USB input from the Aries.

I will be using wired, but may experiment with the wireless.  My DIY PC currently is wired, but has local storage for the music containing HD.  The NAS feeds the Sonos throughout the house.  Tidal will work with the Aries already I think, and the Sonos with time.

Impressions after Christmas....

There is no need to do that though...since the new firmware (1.10) released on the 25th you can easily hookup your HD to it via USB and enjoy it.  GO for it!  No computer needed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back