AURALiC ARIES
Aug 1, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #31 of 275
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/97418/AURALiC-Aries_Bridge_Streamer-DA_Converter_or_Processor

According to the specs sheet listed above from Acoustic Sounds, it has USB 2.0 input for external disk. Should not be a problem using an HDD, load it up as much as you want, I may do the same thing at first since I'm not too great at understanding the networking aspect myself (only recently got a NAS and it seems to act a bit wonky sometimes). I would still like to see some reviews of this thing first before buying it as I am torn between this or just buying a Macbook Pro, which can obviously be used for a lot more, but still makes a pretty nice music server. The initial impressions I've read from Computer Audiophile seem to suggest the Lightning app is not up to par yet either, which is a pretty big concern.

HDD is NOT supported just yet, only NAS at this point. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #32 of 275
Thanks trace, didn't realize it wasn't supported just yet. Have they given a timeframe for HDD support?

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #33 of 275
Thanks trace, didn't realize it wasn't supported just yet. Have they given a timeframe for HDD support?

Well, what was said was Q3/4 of 2014.  However, with all that has gone on I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 275
Ok, so not too long hopefully, have you purchased one? I am curious to start reading some reviews, mainly to see if the higher end version is worth the extra $600.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #35 of 275
  Ok, so not too long hopefully, have you purchased one? I am curious to start reading some reviews, mainly to see if the higher end version is worth the extra $600.

Yes, I do have one.  I have the upgraded version.  

Here is a thread about the hardware http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/

Here is the thread about the software.  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #36 of 275
Mine is otw. However not sure if I'll keep as the lack of ISO support is really a problem for me. Any word if they will ever support ISO?

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #37 of 275
Mine is otw. However not sure if I'll keep as the lack of ISO support is really a problem for me. Any word if they will ever support ISO?

That's not an AURALiC issue.  That is a Minimserver issue and he (Simon) has said it will not happen.  

I have started this thread on CA for JRiver to make a NAS application.  I urge you to help support the cause.  

On CA see this one http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/jriver-network-attached-storage-lets-make-it-happen-21299/

If you use JRiver Interact see here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87159.0

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #39 of 275
Wow. Some sketchy stuff going on in that hardware thread

Wouldn't call it sketchy as much as nitpicking and a bit newbish.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #40 of 275
I wouldn't call it nitpicking either.  If one pays $1599 for something would you expect it to be made to spec?  

Regardless, the unit works as advertised.  I've also been told that the new DS version is coming soon so I'm really looking forward to that.  If the small blemish on the back panel doesn't bother you, then buy it.  If it does then wait until the next batch.  The hardware will be identical with the next batch with the exception of the blemish in on the back panel.  If you don't mind the current DS app then go for it.  

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #41 of 275
Very interesting since I spend more and more time streaming from HiFi QOBUZ to explore new music rather than listening to my 'static' library :)

Since I do not like NAS too much, I also wait for the USB-HD support.  A local 512 Gb SSD drive will do it for me.  No need for Tetrabites over the network...

QUESTION: when used as a Local Music player; will the SQ be as good as if I was using, say, an AURENDER X100  USB-> my DAC  ?   

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #42 of 275
  Very interesting since I spend more and more time streaming from HiFi QOBUZ to explore new music rather than listening to my 'static' library :)

Since I do not like NAS too much, I also wait for the USB-HD support.  A local 512 Gb SSD drive will do it for me.  No need for Tetrabites over the network...

QUESTION: when used as a Local Music player; will the SQ be as good as if I was using, say, an AURENDER X100  USB-> my DAC  ?   

I can say that sonically it's as good as my tricked out Mini. I do use a NAS as I have 8T of music and counting..

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #43 of 275
  I can say that sonically it's as good as my tricked out Mini. I do use a NAS as I have 8T of music and counting..

8Tb !!  
eek.gif

eek.gif

Can you tell how fast is its interface to browse through your BIG music collection ?? What I saw so far on videos was very laggy (big delay to display cover art while browsing)? 

Also, when streaming QOBUZ, do you really have acces to 16/44 streaming (assuming you get a Qobuz's HiFi Subscription) ? And does it display the QOBUZ desktop  interface or is it enbeded into the Auralic interface ?

--> Please Could someone post screen shoot of it's interface while streaming QOBUZ ?

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #44 of 275

+1 In the same boat now. I was thinking of going into NAS streaming or Olive One hard drive but have almost completely lost interest in it due to how easy streaming services make it to listen to your own music and discover new music in their full quality without having to download them first. Also, no need to lug around hard drives everywhere you go.

Regarding sound quality, Amarra 3.0 as a player for local files and Amarra SQ app for streaming (both with maxed out optimizations on SSD Macbook pro) has really enhanced my experience of what I thought was possible to get out from a computer. If Aries can deliver in the sound quality department with streaming services, I'd be sold.

Anyone compare using Amarra 3.0 on computer to DAC vs. Aries to DAC in terms of sound quality?

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #45 of 275
I have been using a Macbook pro with Amarra running on it connected to a Resonessence Concero HD.

The SQ now using the Aries wired with Audoquest Diamond RJ45 cables is defenitely a lot better than the Macbook and also better than the Linn Akurate DS1 I have been using before.

The Lightning DS app is not very slick right now, but improves with rising version numbers.

I did like the Lumin app a lot, that worked until the Firmware upgrade to 1.8.2 for the Aries.

Now the Lumin App does not see the Aries any more on the network.

Best,
Matthias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back