AURALiC ARIES
Nov 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #61 of 275
  There is no need to do that though...since the new firmware (1.10) released on the 25th you can easily hookup your HD to it via USB and enjoy it.  GO for it!  No computer needed at all.

Sweet that's what I've been waiting for. Can hook up a 5 TB external and have all my music on the Aries that way.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #62 of 275
Dec 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #64 of 275
Can owners of the Aries let me know if a US unit (110V) will work with 220-240V?

Thanks guys

C

From the manual.

Check Your AC Mains Voltage

VEGA is shipped with its mains voltage preset for operations in the destination country.
The mains voltage setting is written on the back of the unit, besides the power cord socket.
Mains voltage setting is not intended to be changed by the user. If it needs to be changed,
contact your dealer or AURALiC.

The power cord has a three-wire grounding type plug (a plug having a third pin for
grounding). It will only fit into a grounding type power outlet. If you are unable to insert the
plug fully into the outlet, contact your dealer or AURALiC. Do not defeat the safety purpose
of the grounded type plug. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #65 of 275
From the manual.

Check Your AC Mains Voltage

VEGA is shipped with its mains voltage preset for operations in the destination country.

The mains voltage setting is written on the back of the unit, besides the power cord socket.

Mains voltage setting is not intended to be changed by the user. If it needs to be changed,

contact your dealer or AURALiC.

The power cord has a three-wire grounding type plug (a plug having a third pin for

grounding). It will only fit into a grounding type power outlet. If you are unable to insert the

plug fully into the outlet, contact your dealer or AURALiC. Do not defeat the safety purpose

of the grounded type plug. 

That's a shame. Here in Thailand it's >$2,000 for the 2xfemto version.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #66 of 275
That's a shame. Here in Thailand it's >$2,000 for the 2xfemto version.

I totally made a mistake.  I, for some reason thought this was the Vega thread.  However, I"m pretty sure the LPS that comes with the ARIES is the same.  Mine is marked "120V" but I'm sure it's an easy swap.  

You should email Mr. Wang at AURALiC.  He is very responsive.  xuanqian.wang@auralic.com

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #67 of 275
  There is no need to do that though...since the new firmware (1.10) released on the 25th you can easily hookup your HD to it via USB and enjoy it.  GO for it!  No computer needed at all.

True, but I use the NAS for the Sonos system in the house.  It will be serving both.  I will try USB and ethernet source, and report.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #68 of 275
Got my Aries today.
And i know it is quite early....
But, i tried it wirelessly with my main rig, and was quite disappointed. This is vs a stock macbook pro running usb to the PS Audio directstream.

Wired, it seems to be a touch better. But the kicker is that i bought it to be a wireless streamer.

I went to the trouble of buying a dang $300 enterprise class router, and usb 3.0 NAS.
I read all the hype about how the aries is supposed to smoke a macbook.
So... i am sincerely hoping that the aries improves over the first few days.....

For those curious, my impression is that the aries is lacking in macro and micro dynamics, nuance, and prat.
The noise floor is quite low. Equal to my macbook but surprisingly not better.
And there is absolutely no glare, and no harshness. Which is good.
But, the music is just somewhat flat...

Fingers crossed... :xf_eek:

Are you still finding the dynamics lacking? I actually found the Aries to be very comparable to my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini set ups. From a technical standpoint what would cause that if it's sending the same data to the DAC? The biggest difference was the lower noise floor. I am assuming it's because the Aries is such a pared down dedicated device and the fact the NAS is sitting far away from my setup.

Am really enjoying the interface on the iPad and the setup was totally plug and play.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #69 of 275
Ever since I waved my Airport Express around the power cords and noticed the bass dropping out as a result I've been very skeptical of letting Wifi anywhere near an audio system.  I do use the AE still, but it's plugged into a different circuit and physically placed 10' (that's 3m) away.  I can't imagine having wifi built into an audio device will do anything good as the RF has to be absolutely atrocious.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #70 of 275
My Aries is up and running.  I found the AES SPDIF did not work well with my aging AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 dac board.  I put the USB->SPDIF converter into the chain, and it works great. I am listening now to the Aries>DAC4.1>BHSE, and I can attest to no loss of high or low range. I buy generic power cords, usually getting the shortest that will fit, and pick the 12 or 14 gauge ones.

There was an issue with the update server being down over Christmas, but its back up, with firmware 1.11 ready to go this morning on my unit.

If you don't want to tie down an iPad for control use, the Kinsky program/app from Linn will control this unit nicely on most anything, PC / MAC / iOS / Android.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #71 of 275
Bones13
I also run an Audio Note kit DAC 4.1. I use a Mac Mini and an M2Tech full stack to feed the DAC. It works great, and can read 96k files. Redbook never sounded so good!
Not sure if you know, but you can swop out the 6X5 power tube for a Bendix 5852 1950's. They are dead reliable, robust and supply (and draw) 1.5 times the current. The transformer has enough headroom, I asked Brian before I did it. The bass is fuller and the dynamics are more alive. I also changed the caps on the output board to V-Caps Teflons, well worth the cost as it increases transparency and bass detail but with no 'glair' or digital sound at all. Highly recommended.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #72 of 275
When I finish my DDDac, and put it into service, I will consider upgrading the DAC 4.1.  I still have some Dueland Cast caps to try and fit into my AudioNoteKits L4 amp.  The DDDac will go to 192 though, so I will be trying to see if the additional resolution is audible.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #73 of 275
Hi guys

Are you hearing a massive improvement over a macbook pro?

Playing through aries should sound way better than over macbook pro. Is it true?

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #74 of 275
  Hi guys

Are you hearing a massive improvement over a macbook pro?

Playing through aries should sound way better than over macbook pro. Is it true?

The more I listen to my ARIES the more I like it.  It just gets better!  Yes, beats my modded Mini for sure.  I always thought my Mini was better than my MBAIr too.  

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #75 of 275

Definitely YES.

Pls read here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/auralic-aries-universal-plug-dplay-renderer-double-direct-stream-digital-over-wi-fi-18798/

and followed threads. Software, Hardware and improving SQ.

Best,
Matthias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back