Aune X8 VIII anniversary edition
Apr 24, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #76 of 128
I am going to try the Sparkos SS2590 pro in a dual dip 8 setup in the next few days.

Andrew at sparkos says the SS2590 is faster with a much lower SNR and THD+n than the SS3602's

I kind of love the Burson in this DAC though...

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #77 of 128
I just tested the different reconstruction filters again

these are my first draft notes,
dont take them too seriously tho, it was the first thing i noticed while testing with one specific song on repeat, which i also suggest you to do, the difference while A/B-ing isnt that obvious but it comes more aparrant if you listen a while to a filter setting imo, i also thought there isnt much difference first but this recent test showed me there can be quite a difference!

A - Nice Highs, "clean" sounding
B - "Too much" Highs, maybe even high frequency "crap" in the song
C - Shrill Highs, Heavy Post-Ringing which is noticable i think
D - Crap Phase (atleast it sounds like this), "Bassy" sounding
AB - More Bass than usual but overall pretty similar to A, overall nice sounding,
------ best "attack" out of all filters (the last point just got obvious while i tested different songs later on)
BC - Kinda balanced sounding but also "bloated" sounding
CD - Less Highs then usual, sometimes strange sounding sub bass

My Favourite with the one song i tested was first A, then i listened to some more songs and actually prefered AB way more because A sounds off in some parts (just like CD which i was using for quite a while)
while A and AB sound "kinda similar" by the sound signature, AB is overall a improvement and sounds more natural imo

then later on i also saw that AB is the default filter suggested by Aune and after listening to some songs i know well on my system i kinda understand why aune went with this decision, they didnt pick just any filter like other companys but actually tested which filter sounds the best/most natural i think

If we go down the rabbit hole of reconstruction filters people are kinda worried about 3 points
1 - Frequency Response, clean fast cut off prefered
2 - Phase Behavior, you want a unaltered phase if possible
3 - Pre-Ringing is kinda said to make the audio sound worse, you dont find Pre-Ringing in Nature either

AB is a Apodizing Fast Roll Off filter and from google its basicly a filter that was invented to improve some of the flaws of brickwall filters, while im not sure if the impulse responses in this pic from aune are accurate, normally apodizing filters dont have pre-ringing like the pic suggest which would explain the good attack
tho if pre ringing is a big issue im also wondering why the two minimum phase filters ( C and D ) sound not so good

If you guys have any input on reconstruction filters please share your finding, i think AB sounds the best out of them

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 06-51-05 Aune X8 XVIII Magic DAC Aune Store.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 06-51-05 Aune X8 XVIII Magic DAC Aune Store.png
    437.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 29, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #78 of 128
I'll spend some time today on this.. I was using C. Originally when I received the Aune, I really couldn't hear the differences. Not like I could with the SMSL D0100. Thank you for your time and effort on this.

I put the unit on AB this morning. It is still too early to raise up the volume for the speakers. As this is Head-Fi though, can I assume all your listening was done with your cans of choice. Can you elaborated on the components in your test chain in regards to what they add to the end result. I lean analytical... I tend to dial up the bass and treble a little with my tone controls. I have no warm components really. That said, the Sparkos SS3602's, while crisp and clean lean to a more natural sound. These are in my current speaker amp. After I drop and test out the SS2590 Dual Pro opamp set I can dive into the filters a bit more...

Thanks again @Ghoostknight !

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #79 of 128
I put the unit on AB this morning.
Share what you think about it :)

As this is Head-Fi though, can I assume all your listening was done with your cans of choice. Can you elaborated on the components in your test chain in regards to what they add to the end result.
I mainly listen on Speakers (Presonus Eris E8 over XLR, slightly EQ`d and bass compensated with port closed (or i wouldnt be able to hear sub bass as good))
imo phase and sub bass stuff is way more apparent on speakers, i actually have trouble to hear some differences on headphones compared to speakers
but i also have a X7s connected over Chinch to the X8 with DT880 250 ohms, AB compared to CD sounds on the DT880 a bit softer/smoother (attack is still there but overall a bit nicer i would say)

I lean analytical... I tend to dial up the bass and treble a little with my tone controls.
kinda the same here i try to aim for flat speakers with slight bass increase (+1 to +2db) and highs decrease (0 to -2 db), also the DT880 are harman curve corrected, not exactly flat but closer than stock

That said, the Sparkos SS3602's, while crisp and clean lean to a more natural sound.
were you able to compare to the Burson V6 Vivid? while i really like old songs with the V6 (new songs too but specially old songs sound just so good with it) im kinda curious if the Sparkos SS3602 sounds "more flat/analytical"

After I drop and test out the SS2590 Dual Pro opamp set
also curious what you can say about the 3602 vs 2590 :)

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #80 of 128
Do these DAC's have some sort of delay or soft implementation of the filters? The SMSL would audibly go silent for a millisecond when switching. The X8 does not but - does the DAC smoothly transition after you change the setting? Might have been the song hitting a crescendo of sorts. I ask, because as I switched them about just now, I still wasn't hearing any differences at the outset.

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #81 of 128
Do these DAC's have some sort of delay or soft implementation of the filters? The SMSL would audibly go silent for a millisecond when switching. The X8 does not but - does the DAC smoothly transition after you change the setting? Might have been the song hitting a crescendo of sorts. I ask, because as I switched them about just now, I still wasn't hearing any differences at the outset.
im able to hear a very slight pop when switching, one time it was kinda load but "usually" its a quiet pop, nearly transition free, so i assume it switches directly
tho from what i read not every X8 seems the same software wise, like from the one dude the other day where his X8 doesnt save filter settings after restart

May 8, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #83 of 128
This is endgame for this DAC.

SS2592_Iso_E_C.jpg

The Sparkos SS2590 pro dual is the pinnacle of what the DAC can produce. Better than the SS3602, Better than the Burson V6 Vivid. I was thoroughly thrilled. I have been putting it through the paces and listening to it daily since it was received.

Read up on this op-amp and find out why it is the truly the best discrete op-amp you can buy. "These discrete audio op amps have been used at RCA studios in their Mic Preamps, and by other manufacturers such as Nord Acoustics and Apollon Audio in their Hypex based Class D Amplifiers".

Everything is just more. Faster transients, faster decay, lower noise floor. Airy, crisp, punchy. Bass with layers and depth. Deep soundstage. Truly taking a really decent entry level DAC and putting it on par with more expensive units. I couldn't be more pleased.

The inclusion of the Aune XP2 and the 9V supercapacitors suggested by @Ghoostknight, along with my custom made Teflon Silver-Plated Star Quad JSSG360 cables with Oyaide connectors truly help this X8 XVIII shine as well....

What's with the pics?
With a bit of 2 sided gorilla tape, you can attach these feet and raise up the DAC sufficiently without it looking silly. I could probably do a better job trimming the tape but I never see it exposed from my vantage point. It could still be neater though.

Screenshot_20230506_134424_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The project box, with some light modifications can be used to snuggly hold the SS2590 dual pro inside. Using some sandpaper, I was able to carefully sand the edges of the box itself so it was the exact height of the feet with the tape. Using a rotary tool I was able to remove some material from the inside of the box to allow the op-amp to perfectly friction fit. The op-amp was seated to one side of the box so that the box itself acts like the rear right foot of the X8

Screenshot_20230506_134223_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Using a scrap piece of one of those fake leather desk mats, I was able make sure that in nesting the opamp, it was still able to fully engage the socket under the Aune X8. The scrap is between the opamp and the box.

Based on the discussions I had with Andrew at Sparkos, the little box was vented. I used a scratch awl and a manual boring tool to make 3 precision vent holes on each end of the project box.

signal-2023-05-08-00-01-12-763.jpg

The pics you see of the box on the bottom with the X8 upside down were the first run at making this little protective cover. I ruined the first version while using the rotary tool to make the vent holes. The second version is where I adjusted the placement of the op-amp to one side of the box and used the hand tool to carefully make the holes you see. It turned out much better.

signal-2023-05-07-23-59-08-527-2.jpg

The op-amp is quite large and I felt it could possibly wiggle it self out. This would be detrimental and possibly destroy the unit and the op-amp. I also, as you see in the pics have a problem with pollen. So I decided to do the best I could to protect the op-amp from dust, debris, pollen, moisture, etc. The box itself keeps the op-amp snug in the socket. And being that it is the same height, I can have the unit upright on my table.

signal-2023-05-08-00-00-45-420.jpg

I agree somewhat with @Ichos in that the op-amp system would be "better" for the end user if it we're on top.

All in all... This, for me... Is endgame. This is a great entry level DAC that you can truly take to new heights. Punching way above it's pricepoint, I dare say, based on listening to a few of the more expensive units out there in much more expensive systems, that we have a shot at performance that is nearly on par with $1500 to $2000 units. For under $700 total... I'd say I did OK here.

I'd like to thank again @Ichos & @Ghoostknight , as well as everyone else who turned me on to this unit.

Time to listen to tunes...
signal-2023-05-07-23-59-08-527.jpg

Attachments

• SS2592_Stacked_E_C.jpg
    SS2592_Stacked_E_C.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230506_134300_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230506_134300_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 0
  • signal-2023-05-07-23-59-08-527-1.jpg
    signal-2023-05-07-23-59-08-527-1.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #85 of 128
The Sparkos SS2590 pro dual is the pinnacle of what the DAC can produce. Better than the SS3602, Better than the Burson V6 Vivid. I was thoroughly thrilled. I have been putting it through the paces and listening to it daily since it was received.
Everything is just more. Faster transients, faster decay, lower noise floor. Airy, crisp, punchy. Bass with layers and depth. Deep soundstage. Truly taking a really decent entry level DAC and putting it on par with more expensive units. I couldn't be more pleased.

sounds awesome, i actually planned to keep the burson V6 as "endgame" but you made me really curious, those are also the things i listen for while testing :)

sounds like the SS3602 and V6 Vivid is on par with a kind of different sound signature while the SS2590 is the next (last?) upgrade
did you notice any negatives with the SS2590 ? pretty sure the sound signature will be different, is the V6 Vivid/SS3602 more colored in your opinion?

if you want to improve the performance further definitely try a power coupling cap, those make every opamp i tried better
i also plan to build "next gen" adapters (dip8 sockets with caps on to put between dac and opamp) next month and can report with pics if you guys want
i wanna try more uF power coupling + a high quality 0,1uF decoupling cap

nice enclosure :) i also plan something like that but i was too lazy so far :D

May 8, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #87 of 128
Hmm, source on this..?
"These discrete audio op amps have been used at RCA studios in their Mic Preamps, and by other manufacturers such as Nord Acoustics and Apollon Audio in their Hypex based Class D Amplifiers".

"RCA studios recently upgraded their Mic pres with the SS2590" .

These are direct from the Sparkos website.https://sparkoslabs.com/pro-discrete-op-amp/

Although my original statement does come from what seems to be an avid fan and probably is somewhat exaggerated.. I shall edit my statement with this from the Sparkos site. In order to save that person from getting too much flak, I'll draw the heat on this one. I should have looked a bit deeper. But still, it is somewhat accurate.

May 8, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #88 of 128
"These discrete audio op amps have been used at RCA studios in their Mic Preamps, and by other manufacturers such as Nord Acoustics and Apollon Audio in their Hypex based Class D Amplifiers".

"RCA studios recently upgraded their Mic pres with the SS2590" .

These are direct from the Sparkos website.https://sparkoslabs.com/pro-discrete-op-amp/

Although my original statement does come from what seems to be an avid fan and probably is somewhat exaggerated.. I shall edit my statement with this from the Sparkos site. In order to save that person from getting too much flak, I'll draw the heat on this one. I should have looked a bit deeper. But still, it is somewhat accurate.
Appreciate the reply! :wink:

May 14, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #89 of 128
My comments to Andrew at Sparkos Labs.

Things are really tough to describe.

Subtle but not subtle. Layers, not just more. Breathy saxophone phrasing, gutteral nuances in the breathing of singers.. Low bass string wobble, fret buzz.

The actual sounds of drums, not just their tuning. Tom Tom's singing and ringing? Yep! True instrument separation on par with an almost ethereal "in the room" experience.

With the combination of the XP2 linear power supply, and the dual inline supercapacitor banks... And this SS2590 pro dual - The noise floor is like a deep dark abyss.

The LS50 Meta's and the SVS SB-1000 pro are able to keep up with the attack and decay enhancements this op-amp brings. 3D holographic qualities have returned and are eerily present in music that never seemed to have these qualities before.

I'm thoroughly impressed. To the point where that word is insufficient. Moreover, delightfully dipped. Saturated? As if I can be a part of what's happening.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been a musician and an audiophile for nearly the entire time and I have not experienced musicality like this unless it has been presented in an out of my price range elite system.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #90 of 128
got some new discoverys that might be worth to try:

i tried resampling recently, unfortunaly i wasnt able to test 768khz with pipewire but setting pipewire to highest resampling quality (resampling quality: 15 in some config files) and using 192khz (i "usually" listen to 16bit/44khz currently) had some great impact on sound quality, it took quality actually further then the opamp or supercapacitor by itself
since resampling can give quite different results on different hardware/people, i can just advice to try it, for me it makes some really nice improvements on the aune X8 (currently using usb input but i will try spdif soon)

also with resampling in place i actually prefer the reconstruction filter: D , minimum phase, but keep in mind that i shift phase by -2° for best results (the phase makes a real difference here with the minimum phase filter and it might be also a reason why i did prefer AB before)
going from the measurements in the ess datasheet(see below) i might also know the reason why i prefered AB with 44khz, with 44khz the minimum phase slow roll off filter has rather bad rejection (its -50db at 28khz instead of -100db at 23-25khz of some other filters) but this probably doesnt much anymore with 192khz, tho just a guess
another factor is definitely that i hear no preringing anymore and with 192khz the difference was pretty clear between AB and D

for those that are interested, for reconstruction filter measurements you can take a look at https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ES9038Q2M-Datasheet-v1.4.pdf page 55, aune uses the standard filters provided by the es3038qm
this also clearly shows that the apodizing filter is a non-standard implementation of a apodizing filter and actually has preringing, i kinda thought that the picture of aune is wrong but it seems not so
Also i thought its funny that even ESS says this in the datasheet "Custom sound signature is supported via a fully programmable FIR filter with 7 presets." while objectivist claim reconsutrction filter doesnt matter :D
---

soon i will also try a good linear power supply i just bought used in good condition -> https://www.thel-audioworld.de/module/NT-HQ/NT-HQ.htm#NT25 but i still need to build a enclosure
i will keep you updated, really curious how it sounds since it would be my first linear power supply... i just already have a Ifi Power X 5V

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back