Aune X8 VIII anniversary edition
May 19, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #92 of 125
My filter is on Linear Slow :)
its definitely one of the better ones but i guess what reconstruction filter we like also highly depends on hardware/setup and what you prefer

Jun 1, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #93 of 125
does somebody know if a 800mA 9V linear power supply is enough for the X8? the original power supply has 2A but i guess its oversized, right?

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #95 of 125
In DAC mode, most surely. It pre-amplifier mode I would be wary of turning the knob up too high.
thanks, i dont think the volume knob is a problem here, it just reduces volume and can "act" like a preamplifier, so if full output is no problem, playing with the volume knob isnt a problem either (in theory)

i will write a email to aune asking what the dac actually consumes, just to be on the safe side, tho im unsure if they actually answer the question, i never received a reply on my first email.. which is quite dissapointing

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #96 of 125
another thing i noticed regarding the volume knob that might be interesting to others..

i was using the volume knob fully turned "on" to max (till it hits the endstop)
since in theory this shouldnt matter, full output for a dac should be no problem
but i recently watched a video where @GoldenOne speaks about cheap dacs not accounting for "intersample distortion", so i tried turning down the volume knob a bit (set to around 3 o clock now) and it actually makes a difference, tho im unsure if intersample distortion is really the culprit here or something else

does someone know how the volume knob is implemented? "i think" it does act like hardware volume control, like you would use on a OS but implemented with the volume knob (unfortunaly that seems also to be the reason why you cant use hardware volume control inside the OS, which is kinda a negative imo)

long story short... i wouldnt advice to set the volume control on full blast, it makes a difference
maybe thats also the reason why the "max" letters are around 4 oclock but the knob can actually turn to 6 oclock

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #98 of 125
Hello everyone. I have the Aune X8 XVIII DAC with the Sparkos SS3602. I am very pleased with this unit but just discovered the post about how good the SS2509 sounds. I am still using the stock power supply. My question is, should my next upgrade be the Aune XP2 power supply or should I pick up the SS2509? I will end up but both over time, I am just wondering what would be the better next step? I look forward to any advice and or suggestions that you may have to offer.

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #99 of 125
Either way... If you get the SS2590 dual pro you will need other things to keep it safe and run your unit upright. Perhaps get the XP2 as this is an "improvement" regardless of the opamp used.

Attachments

• 20230715_170613.jpg
    20230715_170613.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #100 of 125
Hey there Scrufboy, thanks for your response. That is a good point. I have the X8 on raised feet. I am not sure if they are high enough to accommodate the SS2590. I will go ahead and purchase the XP2 when the black one becomes available again. Unfortunately it sold out during the Amazon sale last week. Support at Wuhan AuneAcoustics said they will notify me when it is back in stock and honor the price from the sale, so that is a plus. Did you need any extension sockets to make the SS2590 dual pro clear the case? Did you solder your unit together or did you have Andrew do it? I think for the very small assembly price, I’d rather have him do it. I was using the built-in DAC in my Sonos port via RCA cables. I picked up a wiim pro and X8 on sale. I have less invested in the wiim and the X8 than the price of Sonos. This combination absolutely crushes the Sonos with built in DAC. I was new to streamers a few years back as I listened mostly to Vinyl and occasionally CDs. My wife has several Sonos products in the house, so I chose the Port for connectivity and ease of use. While the wiim feels cheaper in build quality, it seems to have better specs than my Port. As for the longevity and quality, only time will tell.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #102 of 125
The opamp is tall... I had Andrew solder it all together.

You will need:

1 dip-8 riser.

3 Feet
ASHATA 8 Pcs 30x20mm Rubber Feet Anti-Vibration Base Pad Stand for Speaker Guitar Amplifier w/Screws,Rubber Feet for HiFi Speaker,Amplifier,Car Subwoofer https://a.co/d/ddyRe0j
Dump the screws in with your other tool stuff.

Double sided tape to adhere the feet
Gorilla Heavy Duty, Extra Long Double Sided Mounting Tape, 1" x 120", Black, (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/f9oUvF6

1 Project box to protect the op-amp.
Zulkit 5Pcs Project Boxes ABS Plastic Electrical Project Case Power Junction Box Black 2.40 x 1.41 x 0.98 inch (61 x 36 x 25 mm) https://a.co/d/ciLXsD9
This is important to keep the opamp protected from the environment. It gets warm too so venting the box is important.

You need some general use sandpaper... Garnet is probably not the best.

A reamer - unless you can make precision holes another way without ruining the little abs box like I did my first go.
HobbyPark Steel Metal 0-14mm Hole Puncher Reamer Black for RC Tools Car Body Shell Drills https://a.co/d/9IS4MUl

Possibly a scratch awl... To make the first marks for the reamer. The reamer itself will work though.

Use the tall feet. Adhere them in the logical locations using the gorilla tape. Cut it to shape.

Once you do this, you can take the project box and remove the lid. Put it where the opamp will be and note the unevenness.

Sand down the open edge of the box by placing the sandpaper on a flat surface. Sand lightly and incrementally. Rotating how you hold the box every so often. Check often. Put the box in the position of the opamp. Remove just enough material to make it rest evenly. You're just trying to remove the wobble and make things level and just right.

Once you get that right, you need to prep the interior of the box. Removing the nubs on the bottom on the inside. Then, because the opamp is bigger than the interior. You will need to use a rotary tool or sandpaper and remove some material from the edges. Sand it sparsely and incrementally. You want the interior just snug enough for the opamp to friction fit. You don't want it to be loose fitting.

Refer to my pictures and vent the box as per Andrew's instruction. The you can use adhesive thermal tape in the bottom of the box. I used a piece of that fake leather deskmat material.

The springy material will give you just enough lift to help keep the opamp plugged in snugly as it rests on the project box bottom.

Place the opamp in the box, aligned with how it should be mounted and with where you want the box to be. My initial pictures show the box closer to the middle, however I altered that to make everything rest closer to the outer edge.

Put the dip-8 riser either on the opamp or in the socket. Remember to properly orient things so pin 1 is in socket 1. Don't ruin your SS2590 dual pro or your DAC.

Carfully insert your opamp that is nested in the box into the socket. Turn it over and place it on a flat surface. If everything has been done correctly. It will sit level and won't be too unpleasant to look at.

I made sure to place the opamp in the box closer to one edge so that the box itself was situated more to the outer edge.

You are basically making a larger, plastic version of the opamp cover that came with the X8.

Work safely, slowly and diligently with precision and patience. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #103 of 125
Thanks, for all your efforts and helpful tips. I fired it up today and it sounds great so far. Everyone has their own way of describing how something sounds. To me, this just sounds less congested. It’s open and airy without being harsh or ringy. I run this in my den which is a fairly decent system. I am going to take it into my main two channel room tomorrow and hear it on a more revealing system. I have a feeling it will do pretty well. I just cant believe how well it sounds for its size and price. The 2590 really took it up a couple of notches.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #104 of 125
A question, does the interchangeable op-amp works on both balanced TRS and single ended RCA (pre-amp and lineout) or only one of these, I see that with Geshelli J2S they give you the option to select different op-amps for RCA and balanced. I searched the website and manual but cant find any information about this.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #105 of 125
A question, does the interchangeable op-amp works on both balanced TRS and single ended RCA (pre-amp and lineout) or only one of these, I see that with Geshelli J2S they give you the option to select different op-amps for RCA and balanced. I searched the website and manual but cant find any information about this.
The opamp chosen works no matter the input or the output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back