Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 13, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2,656 of 8,309
startyourengine, I belive your description and impressions are correct. Genalex should be with larger soundstage than amperex and for me it`s same impressions about 6922EH/Tungsram PCC88 vs. Amperex OG. Amperex just sounds natural with "middle-sized sweetspot" soundstage.  
With 6922EH/Tungsram you just can`t listen prog rock properly because everything feels "stretched" like you said but with electronic music it all makes sense and adds a lot.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,657 of 8,309
Quote:
Nice impressions! You are using +16 gain right?

thanks! i've been reading other people's stuff here alot, thought i should make some contribution. i'm using +10, maybe i should try +16
Quote:
startyourengine, I belive your description and impressions are correct. Genalex should be with larger soundstage than amperex and for me it`s same impressions about 6922EH/Tungsram PCC88 vs. Amperex OG. Amperex just sounds natural with "middle-sized sweetspot" soundstage.  
With 6922EH/Tungsram you just can`t listen prog rock properly because everything feels "stretched" like you said but with electronic music it all makes sense and adds a lot.

i'm glad i wasn't totally making stuff up. still torn between the two, i don't want to switch them in and out daily when i get home from work just to listen to different genre of music, i think right now i'm leaving the genalex in for the time being.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #2,660 of 8,309
What gain setting is optimal for the Mad Dogs?

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,662 of 8,309
This is what in my mind as well: NAS - Raspberry Pi - T1 - Senn HD600 / Goldring DR150.
Still need to buy 1 more harddrive for my cheap NAS (RAID 1) and UPS too. Then Raspberry, and I'm done.
Quote:
My T1 with raspberry pi server (tiny brown box on right). The tube amp is connected to the T1's pre-out.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #2,663 of 8,309
Quote:
That's purty right there!!
Caused me to go look up the Pi and all it's recent developments. Thanks!

Personally I prefer a Mele a2000 with ubuntu and mpd. Because of the better USB connection (and all other connections)
My Aune T1 is connected with usb to a Mele a2000 with a custom power supply to the mele a2000G/or just a rechargeble 5VDC battery (even better)
It even has a wireless connection so I can plug in my aune anywhere in the house 
darthsmile.gif

It's a bit more expensive than a raspberry pi, but you don't have to build/buy a housing and all connections ar in the back. Somebody has done alle the hard work see: http://guillaumeplayground.net/
I am very happy with it

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #2,664 of 8,309
Quote:
thanks! i've been reading other people's stuff here alot, thought i should make some contribution. i'm using +10, maybe i should try +16
i'm glad i wasn't totally making stuff up. still torn between the two, i don't want to switch them in and out daily when i get home from work just to listen to different genre of music, i think right now i'm leaving the genalex in for the time being.

I`m changing my tubes all the time when changing genres. Don`t care about socket wear, It`s replaceable.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,665 of 8,309
It's replaceable yeah but unless you're handy with a soldering iron it's probably less of a hassle to just pick up a socket saver. But only if you do tons of swapping, like CoiL does. :) I'm veeeery close to just giving in and purchasing a Amperex 7308. Curious to see how it'll sound with the T90. :D

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,666 of 8,309
Quote:
Hi there! :D This is my first post here at Head-fi and i'm glad to be part of this forum that i've been following for years.
I've just bought an Aune T1 with EH 6922 Tube (this is my first DAC+Amp) and, although i have to say it sounds really really good, more than i was expecting, i noticed a channel imbalance. The left channel is louder than the right one; so i decided to test it with RMAA 6.2.5 and it confirmed my impression. But that's not all. The results of the test were very disappointing. The PC sound card in comparison is considerably better, although it sounds worse, Are those tests reliable?
Should I send it back for the channel imbalance?

Thank You in advance

This is the summary of the test (without graphs)

Summary

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB +0.11, -1.25
Average
Noise level, dB (A) -54.6
Poor
Dynamic range, dB (A) 54.4
Poor
THD, % 0.251
Poor
THD + Noise, dB (A) -46.6
Poor
IMD + Noise, % 0.504
Poor
Stereo crosstalk, dB -54.9
Poor
IMD at 10 kHz, % 0.491
Poor
General performance  
Average

Hey! Just want to ask how you're doing with the channel imbalance?
My friend who bought the unit from me returned it saying it has some problems with the DAC, but not the channel imbalance (I made it clear to him), but I'm using it now it's running fine. Guess I have to repair it anyways.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,667 of 8,309
Could anyone provide some comparative insight between the Aune X1 Mk1, Aune X1 Mk2 and Aune T1 in regards to taste and sound signature,

I have a pair of HD650's and am looking for a DAC/AMP around the $200 mark,

I listen to a lot of rock, soft rock and some house,

Regards

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,668 of 8,309
Could anyone provide some comparative insight between the Aune X1 Mk1, Aune X1 Mk2 and Aune T1 in regards to taste and sound signature,

Regards

Probably not as the X1 is way less popular I believe because it doesn't have a standout feature like the T1. The T1 is way different because it uses tube, therefore the sound signature changes to suit the user's preference by changing to different tubes.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2,669 of 8,309
Quote:

Regards

I've got the T1 and the X1mk2.

to be honest, I've not really compared them at the same time. 

The x1 is versatile in that it has a coaxial, an optical, and RCA and a usb input. It works better for standard DAC style scenarios (TV into the home system etc). It's fairly clear, straightforward kind of solid state DAC. I certainly didn't have any complaints with it.

the T1's schtick is the tube rolling. It's limited as it's only USB for the tube, or RCA (non tube) in. 

So ideally it comes down to your inputs. I've got my T1 at work for purely Foobar work, and the X1 at home to collate the TV coaxial output and my Compaq usb into the home stereo. 

I like them both. 

that's not much help though is it. :)

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2,670 of 8,309
Does anyone have a recommendation for a bassy tube? I've got a Amperex 7308 in my Aune T1 now and they sound awesome on my HE-400, but I'm looking for even more (and deeper) bass extension and impact with these cans for genres like EDM. I've also got an EH6922 but the bass on that doesn't even extend as deep as the Amperex. From reading this thread, it seems the Genalex Gold Lion and Vokshod 6N23P Rocket Logo are good bets. Anyone have any opinions on this, or other recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back