Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,642 of 8,309
baking soda + vinegar! Works like a charm! Nice clean pins without any physical pin material loss or changing the shape of pin (sanding etc.). I use this method for all my tubes but be warned, if this stuff gets on prints on tube - they will probably come off. Not all tubes markings come off and etched factory codes seem to be unaffected mostly. You have to find proper low-shape thing where to put this soda + vinegar so it won`t get on tube markings. Let it soak about ~20min at least. Clean with water/alcohol.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #2,643 of 8,309
Hah!
I just pulled my T1 apart and indeed found a TI N5532A opamp. However, this is not a dip8 socket style opamp. It's a surface mount and putting a dip socket where the opamp is would be prohibitively annoying. I'm sure someone sells an adapter to go from surface mount to socket mount but hah, there's not much point any way!!!

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #2,644 of 8,309
Goo
Hah!
I just pulled my T1 apart and indeed found a TI N5532A opamp. However, this is not a dip8 socket style opamp. It's a surface mount and putting a dip socket where the opamp is would be prohibitively annoying. I'm sure someone sells an adapter to go from surface mount to socket mount but hah, there's not much point any way!!!

Good to know that. Guess its tube swappings all the way...

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #2,645 of 8,309
Quote:
Hah!

http://cimarrontechnology.com/
Maybe this will help. But then you you cant close te Aune again.....
mad.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #2,647 of 8,309
Not much choices there unfortunately. http://electols.com/ is better place with much more choices but bad thing again is that you have to oder at least for 50€ if I remember correctly.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,648 of 8,309
Quote:
baking soda + vinegar! Works like a charm! Nice clean pins without any physical pin material loss or changing the shape of pin (sanding etc.). I use this method for all my tubes but be warned, if this stuff gets on prints on tube - they will probably come off. Not all tubes markings come off and etched factory codes seem to be unaffected mostly. You have to find proper low-shape thing where to put this soda + vinegar so it won`t get on tube markings. Let it soak about ~20min at least. Clean with water/alcohol.

Hah, thanks.

I have a few new tubes that needed a good polishing, but I'll try your method first.  
tongue.gif

Wouldn't regular tape work good around the labels, or would it strip them?

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,650 of 8,309
Has this got enough power to make the Mad Dogs really sing?

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,651 of 8,309
Quote:
Hah, thanks.

I have a few new tubes that needed a good polishing, but I'll try your method first.  
tongue.gif

Wouldn't regular tape work good around the labels, or would it strip them?

Tape would be a very bad idea.
Handle the areas of the tube with the labels as little as possible. Your fingers will rub them off relatively easily.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2,652 of 8,309
Finally pulled the trigger on this, should be here on Wednesday. Happy days.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,653 of 8,309
Just wanted to let everyone know the T1 works great with the raspberry pi. My pi is running raspyfi.

raspberry pi running mpd ---> T1 pre-out ---> Yaqin tube amp

I'm controlling the raspberry using remote control through the Gnome Music Player Client (GMPC) running on my Android phone and natively on a Windows 7 computer. The raspberry pulls flac files off my network attached storage unit via wireless. Having the raspberry feed the T1 frees up a laptop I was using as a music server.

Edit: I have found that when I turn the T1 off and then later turn it back on the raspberry pi stutters during playback. I have to reboot the raspberry to get it to play normally. I guess the solution is to shut them both down and then bring them both back up to play music.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #2,654 of 8,309
i just received my genalex today, did some brief comparison between that and the amperex, so far with just 20 mins' listening, the difference i could tell was the soundstage advantage genalex has, and also listening to female voices, amperex still has the sweetness i prefer. i don't know how i feel about this, i suppose it really depends on what type of music you will be listening to. with studio recorded female, pop or rock, music with the amperex are more "together" but not bunch up, due to the relatively natural soundstage. with genalex however, i felt like the voice and the rest of the music are slightly stretched, the soundstage are wider, there is some space between, sometimes i want to say it makes the music airy, but it feels manufactured. with live performance, because i know they are performed on a bigger stage with audiences, i kind of expected the soundstage to be there more. so far, i think if you just want to listen to music all day long, not looking for the soundstage and clarity, i would choose the amperex, but for critical listening maybe with classical, symphoney and stuff, the genalex might be better. just my 2 cents, sometime i don't even know whether i'm making stuff up or not lol. do these thing have a burn-in period? can i expect a difference from the genalex with 2 more weeks of usage? thanks.

edit: like electro/techno with the genalex, its very awesome lol.

edit: the amp + genalex/amperex combo on aune t1 really brings the mid on dt880 250ohm forward comparing beyer's a1 if you know how the slightly recessed mid on dt880 sounds, much better vocal. the a1 however helps with hd598's bass.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,655 of 8,309
i just received my genalex today, did some brief comparison between that and the amperex, so far with just 20 mins' listening, the difference i could tell was the soundstage advantage genalex has, and also listening to female voices, amperex still has the sweetness i prefer. i don't know how i feel about this, i suppose it really depends on what type of music you will be listening to. with studio recorded female, pop or rock, music with the amperex are more "together" but not bunch up, due to the relatively natural soundstage. with genalex however, i felt like the voice and the rest of the music are slightly stretched, the soundstage are wider, there is some space between, sometimes i want to say it makes the music airy, but it feels manufactured. with live performance, because i know they are performed on a bigger stage with audiences, i kind of expected the soundstage to be there more. so far, i think if you just want to listen to music all day long, not looking for the soundstage and clarity, i would choose the amperex, but for critical listening maybe with classical, symphoney and stuff, the genalex might be better. just my 2 cents, sometime i don't even know whether i'm making stuff up or not lol. do these thing have a burn-in period? can i expect a difference from the genalex with 2 more weeks of usage? thanks.

edit: like electro/techno with the genalex, its very awesome lol.

edit: the amp + genalex/amperex combo on aune t1 really brings the mid on dt880 250ohm forward comparing beyer's a1 if you know how the slightly recessed mid on dt880 sounds, much better vocal. the a1 however helps with hd598's bass.

Nice impressions! You are using +16 gain right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back