Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #1,966 of 8,309
From my collection:

Best tubes: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8 (actually 70's production orange print A-frame)

Budget kings: Ultron 7ES8, Amperex OG 6DJ8, Voshkod Rocket

Transparent: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8

Neutral: Amperex 7308 PQ white label (warmish but I prefer to categorize this to neutral), Telefunken 7DJ8

Warm: Amperex OG 6DJ8, Voshkod Rocket, Genalex Gold Lion, Ultron 7ES8, Bugle Boy

Big sound stage: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8, EH6922

Forward: Siemens 7DJ8, Voskhod Rocket, Genalex Gold Lion

It goes without saying that my best tubes are good for pretty much everything (especially Amperex 7308), but here are some special notes:

Rock: Ultron 7ES8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Electronic: EH6922 (atmospheric / ambient), Ultron 7ES8 (EDM), Valvo 7DJ8 (EDM)

Acoustic: Siemens 7DJ8

Jazz: Amperex 7308 PQ white label

Blues: Voshkod Rocket, Siemens 7DJ8

Vocals: Siemens 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Practically I have Amperex OG plugged in 99% of the time because it's such a great overall tube (and I have 3 of these). Sometimes I switch to Ultron / Telefunken / Amperex 7308 (I'm kind of saving this little gem. Better to burn Teles since I have 3 of them).

May 31, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,967 of 8,309
Thanks for offering to sell your gold lion, but I don't live in the EU.
As for music I like... well, I mostly listen to world/lounge and various types of electronic music. It's hard to consider electronic music a genre by itself, though, because there are so many sub genres which are all doing completely different things, and it doesn't necessarily even have to sound very synthesised/digital.

For soundstage example, look up diving dancer by klartraum.
They have a great understanding of soundstage- in fact, they'll even occasionally record mixes of themselves just playing samples on different audio tracks and then upload it as a Dolby digital file.

Time for a change- Guy Gerber

I'm not sure how to describe this... very soul/jazzish and then ethereal at the same time.

For female vocals, look up omid(hope) by thievery corporation.
Sorry I can't give you any links, I'm writing this on my phone.

Anyway about my setup right now... I don't really have anything good. I have high standards about certain elements of audio mainly because I've got friends with some really great setups. And yet I don't have a big enough budget to get one for myself , bit of a curse really.
I'm using senn hd 555s right now(I know, too low end to really need an amp. But they've got cool reflector things!), but I am equally interested in using the line out on the aune to send a high quality signal to my stereo, and different friends' high fi setups.

So I can't really match the tubes to a certain headphone, and that's why I'm just hoping to find one that fits my taste in general. What I'm probably going to do is order the aune with the 6922eh, see how it sounds, then decide between a gold lion or the two amperexes you recommended. I think they were the 6dj8 orange globe and the bugle boy.

Thanks a ton for all your help, and if you have any other recommendations let me know.

May 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,968 of 8,309
Quote:
From my collection:

Best tubes: Amperex 7308 PQ white label > Telefunken 7DJ8 > Amperex OG 6DJ8 > Siemens 7DJ8

Budget kings: Ultron 7ES8 > Amperex OG 6DJ8 > Voshkod Rocket

Transparent: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8

Neutral: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8

Warm: Amperex OG 6DJ8, Voshkod Rocket, Genalex Gold Lion, Ultron 7ES8, Bugle Boy (amperex 7308 is warmish but I prefer to categorize it to neutral)

Big sound stage: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8, EH6922

Forward: Siemens 7DJ8, Voskhod Rocket

It goes without saying that my best tubes are good for pretty much everything (especially Amperex 7308), but here are some special notes:

Rock: Ultron 7ES8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Electronic: EH6922

Acoustic: Siemens 7DJ8

Jazz: Amperex 7308 PQ white label

Blues: Voshkod Rocket, Siemens 7DJ8

Vocals: Siemens 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Practically I have Amperex OG plugged in 99% of the time because it's such a great overall tube (and I have 3 of these). Sometimes I switch to Ultron or Telefunken or Amperex 7308 (I'm kind of saving this little gem. Better to burn Teles since I have 3 of them).

Great simple post and recommendation basis and I agree @ all the tubes I own myself. 

E: Btw, I received my old logo Valvo PCC88 today. Going to let it burn but first impressions say nothing special. Bass seems to be "boomy" and exaggerated. Nothing more I can say atm. Got this tube very cheap. We`ll see what it becomes after burning.

May 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,972 of 8,309
No, T1's power source is the power supply. It doesn't even use the power line in the USB

Correct but, weirdly, if you use the T1 with an iPad (through a Camera Connector and UsB) the iPad gives a "low power" warning requiring you to connect through a powered USB hub. I have no idea why the iPad interprets it as if the T1 is trying to draw "too much" power through the USB when it is a plug in unit. This doesn't happen with a Mac or pc, just the iPad.

May 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,975 of 8,309
"Group Buys can not be promoted on Head-Fi's Main Forums, or via Head-Fi's Private Messaging, without first receiving authorization from Jude via Head-Fi Private Messaging or e-mail. Please note, though, that it is not our desire to see Group Buys used by Members of the Trade as a primary method of distribution and advertising on Head-Fi's forums--so, for this and other reasons, they are usually not approved. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis, and most often for DIY-related parts that might otherwise be unreasonably difficult to obtain."

May 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #1,976 of 8,309
Quote:
Correct but, weirdly, if you use the T1 with an iPad (through a Camera Connector and UsB) the iPad gives a "low power" warning requiring you to connect through a powered USB hub. I have no idea why the iPad interprets it as if the T1 is trying to draw "too much" power through the USB when it is a plug in unit. This doesn't happen with a Mac or pc, just the iPad.

Have you tried the +5VSB pin cutoff mod (at the end of cable from PC side)? Try it, might help but not sure. I think it`s somekind of iOS related thing, maybe because Aune T1 doesn`t draw any power from USB and iOS detects it as external USB audio device, it thinks as standard it certainly needs to be powered by USB?

Anyway, recommended cable-mod for everybody. Helps to avoid signal disturbances from USB. And proper foil shielded cable is recommended. Although, I can`t make much difference with stock cable but I prefer it to be shielded from PC PSU etc. 

E: Update about Valvo PCC88 (coded DJt D0I). Not totally bad but nothing good also, lacks in transparency & separation, soundstage is weird. 6N23P (reflector logo) and Tesla PCC88 (yellow 32 marking) are certainly better choices. Don`t recommend it for Aune T1, even if it`s cheap.

May 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,977 of 8,309
Forgive me if this has been beaten to death but searching hasn't resulted in the answer I'm looking for.

Has anyone tried anything other than 6DJ8 tubes/equivalents in this amp?
For instance the 12AT7 tube should work because its center tapped heater will run at 12v 150mah OR 6v 300mah.
Given that the 6DJ8 is a 6.3v 350mah heater and the pinout is exactly the same this sounds like a possible tube to try.
There are probably other tubes which may not be 100% pin compatible which can be tried here as well.
We're paying extreme prices for dwindling tube stocks which may not even be the best sounding possibilities. Anyone?

May 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,978 of 8,309
I currently have a Silverstone EB01 USB DAC paired with a Fiio E9 Amp.  Will the Aune be an upgrade and is it good enough for the AKG Q701's?  I'm looking to get in on that group buy but I'm not sure if it's an upgrade.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #1,979 of 8,309
Quote:
Forgive me if this has been beaten to death but searching hasn't resulted in the answer I'm looking for.

Has anyone tried anything other than 6DJ8 tubes/equivalents in this amp?
For instance the 12AT7 tube should work because its center tapped heater will run at 12v 150mah OR 6v 300mah.
Given that the 6DJ8 is a 6.3v 350mah heater and the pinout is exactly the same this sounds like a possible tube to try.
There are probably other tubes which may not be 100% pin compatible which can be tried here as well.
We're paying extreme prices for dwindling tube stocks which may not even be the best sounding possibilities. Anyone?

6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, E88CC, 7308, 6N23P, 6N27P, 6N11, 6N1P, 7DJ8, PCC88, ECC189, 6ES8, 
E188CC, ECC86, 6GM8, PCC189, 7ES8, Cca, CV2492, CV10320, CV5231, CV5354, CV5358, M3624

edit: oh sry, I think I misread your point - other types than those I pointed out? I´ve though about it and even using modded socket saver to change pinout between Aune T1 and tube but I think it`s too much hassle because there are already lot of great choices.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,980 of 8,309
Quote:

edit: oh sry, I think I misread your point - other types than those I pointed out? I´ve though about it and even using modded socket saver to change pinout between Aune T1 and tube but I think it`s too much hassle because there are already lot of great choices.

Awesome thank you. That's pretty much what I was looking for. I will definitely check out some of those other tube types. Very much appreciated!

However I would contend that it is worth the hassle to figure out. Check out this post in the LD tube rolling thread. The columns detail some of the mods necessary for the various tube types.
The tube that I've found to be most excellent in my system requires a jumper between pins 2 & 7. That tube easily beats down the lauded Voskhod 6J1P-EV Gold Grids which are extremely wonderful tubes in their own right.
I believe there is more to explore with the T1 than has been attempted so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back