Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,997 of 8,309
search function

heck, go back a page or two and you'll see that someone laid out a pretty good list of which tubes are good and for which genre/ sound signature. We're all for helping but at least do a little work on your own.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,998 of 8,309
I suggest using one of the useful posts on tubes into a wiki, then linking people to that. 
smile.gif

If enough people do tube rolling guides for amps I'll create a sub-section for it.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,999 of 8,309
Quote:
133 pages

Why should I spend MY time for YOUR intrest in those tubes? I`ve already given very much info, impressions and reviews on many tubes. YOUR thing is to READ them. Learn to use search or start going backwards in this thread. Duh!

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,000 of 8,309
Got my T1 yesterday and sadly it didn't work out using USB out from my Note II. So I'll have to figure out another way to use it at work. I've connected it to my home computer and tried a few tubes already. The 6N11 stock tube wasn't any special, and also EH6922(has been burned in before) had to much sibilance on my K551. The tube I'm trying out now is a Jan Philips 6922 wich so far has been the best for me. Playing Allison Krauss, Dire Straits and Daft Punk so far, and I love this little amp already. Must somehow get it to work on my work computer, but without admin rights I fear it won't install properly.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,001 of 8,309
So here's my setup at the moment. Ready testing it for the office. And tubedampers actually works, only a little bit, but they`re tightening up the bass a bit. Enough to notice it at least. Tube in at the moment JJ E88CC. To early to scompare it, but my favorite still is Jan Philips 6922. Have yet to try a Mullard E88CC, Siemens E88CC and Siemens Halske CCa.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,002 of 8,309
Quote:
And tubedampers actually works, only a little bit, but they`re tightening up the bass a bit. Enough to notice it at least.

Sorry but that "tightening up the bass a bit" must be pseudo-thingy! Dube-dampers for tighter bass? Sorry but imho this is nonsense!

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,003 of 8,309
Quote:
Sorry but that "tightening up the bass a bit" must be pseudo-thingy! Dube-dampers for tighter bass? Sorry but imho this is nonsense!

Well that's what I hear. I pull it off and put it on again and there's slight improvement. The only thing that I think of is that it put slight pressure on the tube and stiffen up the glass a little bit dependent on where on the tube you put it, other than that I'm with you that this shouldn`t happen because there's no outer influence affecting the tube.

Of course if I hadn't had these tubedampers lying around I sure wouldn't have bothered buying them for this amp, but I tried them on, and well...there`s a slight difference with them on in my ears.

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,005 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm thinking expectation bias... 
wink.gif

It's probably mind tricks....now even the 6n11 tube sounds good...time for bed me thinks...and resetting my ears for a while

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #2,006 of 8,309
I just ordered my Aune T1!  The version includes the 6922.  

One thing that I hate about listening to mp3s through my computer (without a dac) is that they sound too digital.  Will the tube make it sound more analog- like listening to a record (without all the scratches?)  If so, any recommendations for listening to oldies like the Temptations, Ray Charles, or Fats Domino?

Lost that analog feeling
-AudioFrog

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,007 of 8,309
Actually like speaker spikes/cones, there is every little possibility dampeners will have an effect on the sound.. Physically they cut down on the vibrations and create isolations that ever so slightly..

But that can only be possible if one believe the effect of such interferences. In that case, pseudo is playing its part as well that prevents one from hearing their effects.. Hah..

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #2,008 of 8,309
Actually like speaker spikes/cones, there is every little possibility dampeners will have an effect on the sound.. Physically they cut down on the vibrations and create isolations that ever so slightly..

Speakers produce sound through the vibration of the cone so they vibrate. Why is your Aune vibrating? Are you operating it on top of a subwoofer or inside your car?

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,009 of 8,309
What a wonderful piece of Chinese engineering! As it appears that this Aune T1 DAC/AMP is as good as the Schiit Magni & Modi (Combo), better than the Audioquest Dragonfly and hence, many, many more pieces of sophisticated equipment. Especially for such a modest price, it seems too good to be true. I just have a few questions on it.

1) I have a Mac, and many people see Macs as having quite good audio cards. Would there still be a big difference in the quality, I currently use a Macbook Pro (2010)?
2) I am thinking of using the analog output of the Aune to act as a DAC for a pair of speakers, perhaps the Audioengine A2s. Is it possible to use it as a DAC only system, without the amp. Or can the amp still be on, I am not sure how all this works exactly. Please explain.

Thank you. :)

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,010 of 8,309
2) I am thinking of using the analog output of the Aune to act as a DAC for a pair of speakers, perhaps the Audioengine A2s. Is it possible to use it as a DAC only system, without the amp. Or can the amp still be on, I am not sure how all this works exactly. Please explain.

Thank you. :)
Can't help you with the Mac portion, strictly PC user here. Once it's on, it's on. But you can bypass the amp using the line out. You can use it dac only, amp only, or dac & amp. Keep in mind that you must use the dac portion if you intend to use the tube as they're tied together. Amp is just a SS amp module that bolts onto the tube dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back