Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,981 of 8,309
Just won auction on two Sovtek 6922 tubes for 1,5£ + posting. 1st tube is coded 00 04 and has gold pins second is coded 98 and is with metal pins. 

edit: There is one Philips PCC189 (Heerlen Holland) on sale with good price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Philips-PCC189-7ES8-tube-NIB-Heerlen-Holland-/380650351502?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item58a0876b8e
Who remembers, I`ve already recommended this tube before instead of Mullard ECC88 (New shield logo, Heerlen Holland) as cheaper alternative & because they sound very very similiar. Good luck for bidder(s). I`m not bidding, I already have it.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #1,982 of 8,309
I just bought a used Aune T1 from a guy locally. It got Russian Harmonix 6922EH (or what the label on the tube said). I can't wait the delivery, for this is my first tube.

Mr Salvatore, your post is great help, but I would like to ask, which one is tube with good positioning? So not only good sound-stage but also good positioning. From your list, it's look like I had to try Amperex OG 6DJ8 and Amperex 7308 PQ white label, I kind of liking warm sound with good positioning.

Originally Posted by Salvatore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From my collection:

Best tubes: Amperex 7308 PQ white label > Telefunken 7DJ8 > Amperex OG 6DJ8 > Siemens 7DJ8

Budget kings: Ultron 7ES8 > Amperex OG 6DJ8 > Voshkod Rocket

Transparent: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8

Neutral: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8

Warm: Amperex OG 6DJ8, Voshkod Rocket, Genalex Gold Lion, Ultron 7ES8, Bugle Boy (amperex 7308 is warmish but I prefer to categorize it to neutral)

Big sound stage: Amperex 7308 PQ white label, Telefunken 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8, EH6922

Forward: Siemens 7DJ8, Voskhod Rocket

It goes without saying that my best tubes are good for pretty much everything (especially Amperex 7308), but here are some special notes:

Rock: Ultron 7ES8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Electronic: EH6922

Acoustic: Siemens 7DJ8

Jazz: Amperex 7308 PQ white label

Blues: Voshkod Rocket, Siemens 7DJ8

Vocals: Siemens 7DJ8, Amperex OG 6DJ8

Practically I have Amperex OG plugged in 99% of the time because it's such a great overall tube (and I have 3 of these). Sometimes I switch to Ultron or Telefunken or Amperex 7308 (I'm kind of saving this little gem. Better to burn Teles since I have 3 of them).

Anyone can PM-me trusty worthy seller / store? This is my 1st time one tube, so I don't know how to distinguish the fakes. Better going for trusted seller / store.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,984 of 8,309
Quote:
Mr Salvatore, your post is great help, but I would like to ask, which one is tube with good positioning? So not only good sound-stage but also good positioning. From your list, it's look like I had to try Amperex OG 6DJ8 and Amperex 7308 PQ white label, I kind of liking warm sound with good positioning.

One of the main reasons I'm not a huge fan of EH6922 is the positioning. I found it to have a kind of bumerang shaped image (sound stage extends very wide but not as deep). I'm more into spherical imaging myself. Also with my Valvo tube the positioning or imaging was kind of off (but I really should burn in this tube). Amperexes have very nice imaging and so has Voshkod rocket and Siemens. Both Siemens and rocket are forward sounding and they are great in that live band feel (the band is in front of you and not separated too much on the sides as can happen with EH6922). Rocket is great for gritty basement blues and Siemens is awesome with vocals and man+guitar kind of setups (Chris Cornell acoustic stuff and Chet Atkins for example). EH6922 is good tube for electronic music with artificially extended sound stage. I wouldn't want to use it too much with "organic" material. Telefunken is my most natural transparent sounding tube which is very nice to have in your collections. Amperex 7308 is more on the natural side but has definitely warm touch in it and the bass is suberb (easily best bass from all my tubes). Best tube for mastering and jazz because it's so razor sharp. You hear absolutely all strokes and brushes of every instrument. The imaging is also top notch. It doesn't matter what you listen and I'm pretty sure it produces the sound as they were intended by the mixer/master. Amperex OG is a very good tube. It has big sound stage with proper transparent imaging (you can easily locate all instruments and they are positioned correctly. Nothing seems "off"). There are some concerns with the OG still. The bass could be tighter in my opinion and the upper mids/treble can get fatiguing with certain music (and headphones). I have AKG K702 which are known to have treble spike and pronounced upper mids and this can sometimes make the K702-OG combo a bit too piercing in aggressive rock music. Therefore my tube of choice for rock is Ultron (seems to smooth some of the areas where OG feels piercing. Good synergy with AKG cans). On the other hand, the pronounced upper mids make OG a wonderful tube for female vocals (especially songs with minimalistic background music). It's also very nice tube to watch dialogue heavy TV series and/or movies. Like I said in my earlier post OG is very versatile tube and at the moment gets most time in my T1.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #1,985 of 8,309
Quote:
I'd also like to know a good place to get tubes. I can't find the orange globes or the bugle boys that were mentioned for less than $70.

Search ebay using "amperex 6dj8". You can also find great deals by searching "7dj8". Also check German ebay using "röhre" + tube type. I'd say about $20 is the appropriate price for orange globe. Just be sure to avoid those british made orange globes (they have red text and made in britain text). If the production codes are visible you should be looking for Heerlen, Holland tubes (small triangle). There are also orange globes with different getters out there. I have A-frames, which are 70's production. Coils impressions are that the older single leg supported orange globes are better and I trust his opinion. So if you can, go for the older ones.

In this example you can easily see all the needed information: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTS-STRONG-AMPEREX-HOLLAND-ECC88-6DJ8-6922-E88CC-PRE-AMP-AUDIO-TUBE-51-/121119246138?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c3345073a

From the pictures you see that the text is orange, the logo has world/globe logo and made in Holland text. The getter is A-frame and the production code has the Heerlen factory symbol (triangle). These tubes are known to have their logos rub off very easily, so the ones with logos still intact are more desirable collectibles.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,988 of 8,309
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281113310107
Is this listing roughly similar to the one you have, salvatore?
I don't mind posting it here because I don't think I'm going to bid, but I'm just wondering. They seem very cheap compared to all the other orange globe listings.
Edit: Sorry, those are PQs, not orange globes. Got confused because it said Holland.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,989 of 8,309
I have been listening with the 6922eh I received with the T1. I just replaced it with a Voskhod 6n23p and was amazed at how much more forward and louder this tube sounds. It seems a bit sharp, if that makes sense, but I will let it run for a while. Initially I had wondered if I would be able to hear the difference between tubes, but no longer. This tube sounds best with Jazz, so far, does anyone have recommendations for Classical (orchestral).

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,990 of 8,309
With these tubes its easy to notice difference but take Mullard ECC88 vs. Philips PCC189 vs. Lorenz PCC189 for example and you will "sweat your ears off" before you get the differences. Also hearing difference between GAC / GA8 / GAE coded Amperex oranges is also quite 
hard. For classical I would recommend Tesla PCC88 (32 yellow markings) but my recommendation about classical tubes might not be so good because I don`t listen much classical. Amperex OG would be more certain deal for classical. 

Btw, just won auction for Siemens PCC88. Got it for 3€ only lol. My first siemens tube! Hope it`s good.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,991 of 8,309
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281113310107
Is this listing roughly similar to the one you have, salvatore?
I don't mind posting it here because I don't think I'm going to bid, but I'm just wondering. They seem ver"ufogetter and A-frame support seems to be the same as what I have. I'd say these tubes are the real deal.

Yeah I also have one PQ orange globe with dimple disc / "ufo" getter and A-frame support. In this particular ebay case you are looking at delta (triangle) 2L3 coded PQ Amperex OG. Delta means that the tube was manufactured in Heerlen Holland, 2 is the last digit of the year (1972), L is the month (A = Jan... L=Dec) and 4 is the week of month. Also these tubes have dimple disc getter with A-frame support. I'd say these are definitely real deal. Logos and factory codes are also nicely readable. PQ stands for premium quality. PQ tubes should last longer than the standard versions (maybe even up to 10.000 hours).

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #1,995 of 8,309
I have one recommendation to you - READ this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back