Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,756 of 8,309
Quote:
Does anyone use this dac with grados? Wondering if they pair up well

Someone just mentioned his grados with Aune T1. Read!

May 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,757 of 8,309
Kamiru, are Dutch by any chance?  I've also really been wanting to order a pair of PCC189s as well but can't read anything on that site T.T,  Is there a minimum price limit on there and do they sell worldwide?

May 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,758 of 8,309
Quote:
I want to buy Ultron PCC189 from here: https://www.astelectronica.nl/AstCatalog/Detail.php?Article=495288&name=PCC189&SiteLanguage=NL

just the be sure, this is the right tube, right?

Don`t know because artikel text doesnt say its Ultron. Picture doesn`t say anything about it because there are 3 different tubes and none of them is PCC189.

May 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #1,759 of 8,309
Kamiru, are Dutch by any chance?  I've also really been wanting to order a pair of PCC189s as well but can't read anything on that site T.T,  Is there a minimum price limit on there and do they sell worldwide?

Yeah I am Dutch, they don't seem to ship worldwide, only to the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and "countries in price area 1", I'm not sure what that means... The minimum price limit is Euro 2,99.

Oh and here is a link with all the NOS tubes: https://www.astelectronica.nl/AstCatalog/PhotoArtikelByGroup.php?Group=2810&SiteLanguage=NL

May 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,760 of 8,309
Don`t know because artikel text doesnt say its Ultron. Picture doesn`t say anything about it because there are 3 different tubes and none of them is PCC189.

Yeah the site is kinda weird. the text next to the image with the Ultron tubes says "group photo", and the "group" seem to be NOS tubes, but it doesn't say anything about the brand....

May 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,761 of 8,309
May 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,762 of 8,309
Lots of talk about the Ultron, but, no offense to anyone, I have doubts as to whether tubes made in different countries and different factories all have similar, if not identical, sounds. I especially find it difficult to believe that tubes made in a factory in India sound the same as those made in the 50s or 60s in Germany.  At any rate, for those looking for other tube recommendations, the following are what I have found to be the most "listenable" over time:

Amperex 6DJ8 "Orange Globe" GAC
Mullard ECC88 (European designation for 6DJ8) Holland GAE
Voskhod Rocket Logo 6N23P (another 6DJ8 with Russian nomenclature)
Amperex Buggle Boy 6DJ8

The first two are significantly better than the bottom two, but all display a smooth, non-fatiguing sound that is not too bright.  They (first two) also have a "wow" factor that I have not experienced with any other tubes, including my own Ultron. By all means, seek out an Ultron - but I think the expectation they will all sound as has been described is unrealistic since it appears Ultron is a re-brander of tubes manufactured by a variety of companies.

May 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,763 of 8,309
Well, if I would be only guy who likes Ultrons but I`m not. And honestly, the white & gold label Ultron`s I personally have are almost same sounding. Only differences I can make, like I have told before - golden one has tinybit tighter bass & kick. Soundstage and imaging are same. But difference is very tiny, if you wont do analytical listening, there`s basically no difference. 

I Agree on recommendation about Amperex GAC, it`s better than Orange. I have 2 perfect condition A-frame oranges to compare with but their highs are littlebit "flat" and get irritating with longer listening, especially with rock/progressive/metal. Honestly, they are more similiar to my Mullard ECC88 than to Amperex GAC or Ultrons. Last two are definitely with more open and smoother highs. 

Thats what my ears are telling me. I should try rocket logo but don`t hope anything good from it because reflector logo is "crap" compared to Mullard ECC88, Amperex GAC, Philips PCC189, Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 or Ultrons.

May 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,764 of 8,309
I suspect some "expectation bias" may be at work. My ears tell me the Ultron I have is in no wise comparable to the Amperex GAC. I think folks are entitled to knowing there are different opinions. Honestly, it is simply not reasonable to expect that Ultron is sonically matching all these tubes manufactured across different decades and continents. Reality just don't work that way.

May 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,765 of 8,309
Quote:
Honestly, it is simply not reasonable to expect that Ultron is sonically matching all these tubes manufactured across different decades and continents. Reality just don't work that way.

Right! And I haven`t told anything like that about Ultrons 
wink.gif
 Didn`t say they match sonically BUT they just are very very similiar sounding tubes, nothing I can do about it, thats what I hear. If I`m not so busy anymore, will try to make more analytical comparing bringing out more detail.  For now those gold & white Ultrons have been nicely burned in I think and differences should become more easily heardable but I suspect there won`t be much to update.

But like Iv`e told many many times, lot depends on different factors - gear, personal hearing, taste, music preference etc. For me, gold label Ultron PCC189 is littlebit better than Amperex GAC and white label is in middle of them. Amperex A-Frame oranges are also very good but with rock/progressive/metal highs just get littlebit "annoying" with longer listen, they just feel "flat" and boring. All those differences are very small and overall all those tubes are very good! Which one to buy is up to personal preferences. This is only my opinion and I recommend Ultron PCC189 & Amperex GAC & Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 over Amperex A-frame orange globe & Mullard ECC88.  

My goal with this tube hoarding was to find great sounding tube which is in same league with more known & expensive ones but is more easily available and cheap to make Aune T1 even more attractive bang-for-a-buck choice for everybody. I think I found 2 good tubes - Philips PCC189 and Ultron PCC189. Both tubes can be found in EU with good price. Unfortunately not so great story about US, I feel sorry about that. Wish that more ppl could enjoy the sound of Ultron for the price that I got them - they are just "killer" tubes imho :)  

May 3, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #1,766 of 8,309
Quote:
Honestly, it is simply not reasonable to expect that Ultron is sonically matching all these tubes manufactured across different decades and continents.

This is valid point indeed. Ultron seems like a lottery ticket, and without any factory codes you never know what you get (also the impressions and reviews are then biased). That's why I recommend to buy it as cheap as possible. What makes Ultron so hyped at the moment is the fact that it's dirt cheap, sounds relatively good and has slightly tamed highs (this is for white label without any factory codes, as compared to my a-frame and imo of course). It seems that many T1 owner here are looking to smoothen those harsh upper mids and treble spikes, which my Ultron manages to achieve in some extent. But like I've been saying this is kind of a double edged sword since my Ultron sounds even too soft at times. Therefore, I can't recommended it for all kind of music styles and headphone systems. At least I personally prefer analytical crisp sound whenever it doesn't get piercing and fatiguing. These things considered Ultron might not suit us all and can indeed lead to "expectation bias" (especially since Ultron can potentially be either a 70's Asian tube or 60's Siemens tube or anything in between).

In this case, it all comes down to the fine tuning and synergy. If we compare tubes only by their own absolute intrinsic properties, Ultron is not the best tube. From my tubes I would rate it below the best (7308 amperex, 6DJ8 amperex, 7DJ8 tele...), but it's wonderful tube in those specific situations. I was looking something for rock and Ultron works for me. I guess my final advice is that you should keep buying those trusted identifiable brands if you want to be sure what you're buying. One good advice is to pay little bit more for one of those best early amperexes and be happy. This would, however, take the best fun out of T1 = tube rolling.

May 3, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,767 of 8,309
Quick question in between the Ultron-discussion!

In short:
My Aune T1 had two sudden "shutdowns" yesterday, ca. 10 minutes apart, and the "shutdowns" stopped after i changed back to the stock tube. The unit was very hot, more than the usual warm-to-the-touch. Does this sound like a problem caused by a faulty tube to you guys?

I'm afraid to switch back to the "faulty" tube to confirm my suspicion, in case it might damage some of the Aune's components. Could it?

In detail:
While playing music at low volume from my PC, the LED-light under the tube shut off, the tube was still glowing, the sound was gone, but the DAC was still working because it was still visible on my PC. I switched it off, checked the cable connections and powersupply (230V). Everything seemed fine, but I noticed it the Aune T1 and the tube was very hot. I let it cool off for a minute and turned it back on. It worked for about 10 minutes before it shutdown again. 
Decided to switch back to the stock tube and it has been working ever since, but the sound is different though 
tongue_smile.gif
 The tube I suspect caused the shut down is a 6dj8/ecc88, so its not a wrong kind of tube.

May 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,768 of 8,309
Quote:

This is valid point indeed. Ultron seems like a lottery ticket, and without any factory codes you never know what you get (also the impressions and reviews are then biased). That's why I recommend to buy it as cheap as possible. What makes Ultron so hyped at the moment is the fact that it's dirt cheap, sounds relatively good and has slightly tamed highs (this is for white label without any factory codes, as compared to my a-frame and imo of course). It seems that many T1 owner here are looking to smoothen those harsh upper mids and treble spikes, which my Ultron manages to achieve in some extent. But like I've been saying this is kind of a double edged sword since my Ultron sounds even too soft at times. Therefore, I can't recommended it for all kind of music styles and headphone systems. At least I personally prefer analytical crisp sound whenever it doesn't get piercing and fatiguing. These things considered Ultron might not suit us all and can indeed lead to "expectation bias" (especially since Ultron can potentially be either a 70's Asian tube or 60's Siemens tube or anything in between).

In this case, it all comes down to the fine tuning and synergy. If we compare tubes only by their own absolute intrinsic properties, Ultron is not the best tube. From my tubes I would rate it below the best (7308 amperex, 6DJ8 amperex, 7DJ8 tele...), but it's wonderful tube in those specific situations. I was looking something for rock and Ultron works for me. I guess my final advice is that you should keep buying those trusted identifiable brands if you want to be sure what you're buying. One good advice is to pay little bit more for one of those best early amperexes and be happy. This would, however, take the best fun out of T1 = tube rolling.

I wouldn`t say lottery ticket but yeah, if you have no actual picture from what your`e buying then it`s kinda lottery. Well, atm we have identified 3 different Ultron PCC189`s by physical design and by packaging. Two of them are very very similiar sounding (white and golden one I have). There is also 4th tube that is physically same as golden logos but comes from Yugoslavia and is with while label.
Anyway, these Ultrons seem to fit very well for those who want to "tame down" little their DT880/DT990/Grados highs and personally I would say fits really good with rock/metal/progressive. Certainly it`s not the best tube but for the price they sell, it`s awsome tube for sure! 
About analytical crisp sounding tubes... from that part I think the best tube I have is Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 but unfortunately it`s crazy hard to find. I think it should be tube that belongs in "The Best" league but I have no expensive & highly rewarded tubes to compare to. If you bring parallel to Miniwatt-Dario E188CC/7308 ( http://www.upscaleaudio.com/miniwatt-dario-e188cc-7308/ ), then it should be among " The Best". I`m thinking about sending some tubes to Salvatore at this point to get second opinion.
For me, analytical listening is actually secondary thing when I`m listening music, I just want to enjoy it without something that gets "disturbing factor" in sound. From that point of view I prefer Amperex GAC & Ultron PCC189 over Amperex A-frame orange / Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 / Mullard ECC88 / Philips PCC189. Ultron PCC189 & Amperex GAC are just musically more enjoyable with pop-rock/rock/metal/progressive/jazz/djent. And lets not forget that those tubes aren`t so good for electronic atmospheric music like JAN Sylvania 6922 / Tungsram PCC88 / 6922EH, at least for me. This all is only my personal impression and I`m not trying to actually hype some certain tube, I`m just sharing my opinion and I hope it helps and opens up some choices about tubes.

May 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,769 of 8,309
In reply to FInalAura,

yes, yes, yes. Grados work really well with the Aune T1.

Hi fellow Aune T1 owners, this is my first post ever anywhere.

I saw a pair of Grado 325i's in the sales here in Scotland and couln't resist  I could hear they were good but I felt the amp was letting it down and holding it back.
I started looking and fould the Aune T1 and then this discussion with twenty or so pages in it. Those pages were enough for me and I bought one from a UK reseller on ebay with the updated valve.
It arrived, I hooked it all up and plugged in the Grados and couldn't help but err cry. (yes I'm a guy and married and over fifty).
I had a Linn sondek etc etc in the early ninties and back then it blew digital out of the water. Ever since then I have not liked digital at all.

The Aune T1 has transformed that opinion. Good digital recordings throught this little gem via the grados are the best thing I have heard to date.  There have been a few mods and tube rolling to get it just right though.

The Grados are stupidly uncomfortable and I couldn't wear them for more than a few hours and my ears were sore. So I did the research and bought the big G pads and a sennheiser headband pad. They were now very very comfy but the sound was week in the bass and the ssssss on female voice was so sharp it could cut you.
The grados were taken apart and the four holes punched,the plastic ring removed and the plastic button removed, it was much better but still the sssss on some recordings.

So I turned to tubes (we call them valves) and did lots of research and then looked around. Seems I got lucky first time as I bought a VALVO PCC88 with D getter and waisted glass from 1957.
From the first this combo sounded right. It took over 200 hrs of burning in before I didn't notice any more improvement (mostly the grados probably).

With good recordings these two are amazing. Everything is there, wide holographic sound stage,  tight bass, controlled highs but the midrange is stunning.

Diana Krall Love Scenes (2004 Hybrid SACD) has tracks with such intimacy it gives shivers.

Marta Gomez Cantos De Agua Dulce 2004 24/96 is a great album

Ophélie Gaillard : Bach : Suites pour violoncelle seul BWV 1007-1012 her breathing and fingers on the neck are very noticable via the grados but it's still worth it.

My current fav is Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba Meet Me In London (24/192) 2012. Everyone should own this album. I this age of digital voice correction it is great to see such tallent still exists and I'm finding more all the time thanks to the purchase of this little headphone amp.

Any genre is amazing, from MUSE to Norah Jones.
Acoustic recordings sound really good,

Nutcracker Suite; The Sleeping Beauty; Capriccio Italien 1992 03 03

The Four Seasons; Concerto per archi e cembalo; Symphony in C major 1995 Zyx  (I have three versions and this is the best and it's not even high bitrate, just a great performance).

Opera is wonderful.

I could go on and on. If you own a really great system then you wouldn't be looking at a cheap little amp like the Aune. The fact your on this forum means your looking for something to improve the sound from your new or old  headphones. What are you waiting for, it's changed my life. Music is back.

System
PC (home built windows 7 64 bit)
Foobar 2000 (do the research on plugins and setup)
Cheap £15 gold plated usb I'm not getting into that debate
Aune T1 with VALVO PCC88 D getter and waisted.
Grado 325i modified with G cups Sennheiser head band pad, four holes etc
Contact cleaner and a dremel

May 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,770 of 8,309
Great writeup audioisemotion.

One of the first things that I notice when I tried out the amp is how sparkly the top end is paired with my DR150. With Grado having their top end as their forte, I can't even begin to imagine how great your 325i would sound paired with it.

The sssssharp essssesssss is called sibilance. Some headphones suffer from it, some don't. Since you're into turntables back then I'm pretty sure you know about it. 
wink_face.gif

The soundstage and holographic presentation is admirable, I sometimes got fooled whether I am listening to my speakers or my headphones and the illusion of space would be broken only if I move my head around because the positioning is still the same.

Cherish this tiny little amp and show it to the next generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back