Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,726 of 8,309
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Newbie here.  Sorry for the rudimentary question, but I wasn't able to find an answer by searching.

It is generally considered "bad" to leave the Aune T1 powered on 24/7?  Will it shorten the life of the tube or the internal components, even it no sound is being processed?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Jason

What I've always heard it is the on/off process and all jarring the tubes that tends to shorten lifespan

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,727 of 8,309
Say I want to tame down the highs/sibilance and I like a huge soundstage, what would be a good tube to get?

Also what are some good places to buy tubes without super hight shipping costs (to Europe)?

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,728 of 8,309
Quote:
Say I want to tame down the highs/sibilance and I like a huge soundstage, what would be a good tube to get?

Also what are some good places to buy tubes without super hight shipping costs (to Europe)?

Salvatore did a really review of tubes at post 1209 in this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/1200#post_9256553

Hope that link works.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #1,730 of 8,309
Quote:
Gosh, how many of you got scammed? I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Nope, no software or CD or anything. Plug and play, although windows might update the audio driver to support the DAC unit, depending on your driver version.

Aune T1 does not need any driver or updatefrom windows. And it would be stupid to use it through windows internal mixer! Just plug in & play but use WASAPI, ASIO or KSP depending on your music player software and needs. I personally use winamp with ASIO output plugin + ASIO4ALL. KSP is easier but may sometimes have problems playing 192KHz files.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,731 of 8,309
Quote:

If you want huge soundstage then JAN Sylvania 6922 but I recommend Ultron PCC189 which has "middle" sized soundstage and great smooth open highs.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,732 of 8,309
Quote:
Aune T1 does not need any driver or updatefrom windows. And it would be stupid to use it through windows internal mixer! Just plug in & play but use WASAPI, ASIO or KSP depending on your music player software and needs. I personally use winamp with ASIO output plugin + ASIO4ALL. KSP is easier but may sometimes have problems playing 192KHz files.

Yeah I can't stress enough how important this is. What these plugins do they let raw bit-exact sound flow straight from your computer to T1 without any inferior soundcard/OS modifications or processing whatsoever. If you use foobar, the wasapi plugin can be found here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi just install the plugin and go to preferences and check that the plugin is installed + change output device to wasapi SPDIF interface (T1).

Quote:
If you want huge soundstage then JAN Sylvania 6922 but I recommend Ultron PCC189 which has "middle" sized soundstage and great smooth open highs.

Haven't tried Sylvania, but this Ultron description sounds about right. I also find the Ultron to be smooth and soft. Combine it with analytical crisp sounding tube and that could be all you need.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,733 of 8,309
Quote:

Yeah I can't stress enough how important this is. What these plugins do they let raw bit-exact sound flow straight from your computer to T1 without any inferior soundcard/OS modifications or processing whatsoever. If you use foobar, the wasapi plugin can be found here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi just install the plugin and go to preferences and check that the plugin is installed + change output device to wasapi SPDIF interface (T1).

Haven't tried Sylvania, but this Ultron description sounds about right. I also find the Ultron to be smooth and soft. Combine it with analytical crisp sounding tube and that could be all you need.

Salvatore, do you happen to know any places where I can still find an Ultron PCC189?  I pretty much searched ebay from every euro country, US and canada and can't find one anywhere =[

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #1,734 of 8,309
Quote:
Salvatore, do you happen to know any places where I can still find an Ultron PCC189?  I pretty much searched ebay from every euro country, US and canada and can't find one anywhere =[

Me and Coil did joint order from this Finnish shop: http://uraltone.com/kauppa/product_info.php?info=p3882_PCC189--Ultron.html&XTCsid=od1gpb93vebc8j4fhchb7mk4v1

There are some EU shops that sell this tube, but they won't accept orders worth less than €50. This Ultron could be pretty much in par with orange globe depending on what you are looking for. Ultron has generally better price over performance ratio (manly because it's very cheap especially for those who can get them locally), but if you have to pay too much then I would suggest to try something else. I would also imagine that Ultron can sound a bit too soft in some systems. Works best with brighter crisp sounding cans which tend to get slightly fatiguing with certain music styles. I'd say this is a very nice buy for up to €15, but if you don't have fatiguing system orange globe is probably better all around tube to have.

My personal preferences from my personal collection:

Amperex orange globe 6DJ8 -> very nice for general PC use. Music, movies, tv series and games. You name it and everything sounds nice. Looks like the older halo getter single leg betters the 70's a-frames.
Ultron 7ES8-> mainly for rock, but pretty much for everything where globe gets fatiguing.
Amperex 7308 / Telefunken 7DJ8 -> definitely for jazz and organic instrumental such as concertos etc. + mixing. With these tubes you'll be hearing everything (especially with amperex).
Rocket logo / Siemens 7DJ8 -> best suited for intimate in your face kind of presentation. Man and guitar kind of setups, blues and Chris Cornell songbook type of acoustic thing. I feel like the tubes with biggest sound stage don't fit the atmosphere of this kind of music so well, but that's just my personal opinion. I would imagine these to go nicely with some vintage vinyls with all the cracks and pops there. Siemens really allows vocals to pop. Lacks some resolution of the better tubes but with the music it suits best it's really not a problem.

And just as a reminder. The differences are not huge. I probably wouldn't do too good if I had to blind audition my tubes :wink:

E: I think your best bet is if Coil is willing to sell one of his Ultrons. The way he loves them the probability is very low though :D

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,735 of 8,309
sigh....sounds like the Ultron is exactly what I'm looking for to tame down my DT880s then.  Amperex orange globe did a pretty good job, but I was just hoping for something to tame down those highs just a smidgen more.  Hopefully some kind soul here can spare one of their extras and sell to me T.T

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,736 of 8,309
Quote:
Definitely recommend to keep at least 2 Gold label SQ`s!
But the other white logo ultrons... are they all with metal vertical center plate? Also your white ones seem to have small o-ring getter. That version is still not compared by me against SQ.
Would maybe like to have one of them to see if it is same sounding as my white (grey vertical center plate, large O-ring getter) & gold label ultrons.
Also, can you tell us your tubes markings (vertical nr. codes & is the glass bottom without nr/letter)? 

All of my 10 tubes has the same size of the 0-ring getter. None of them has any number on the glass bottom.

All of my 6 SQ tubes have the same vertical markings: 40811. There is also som smaller horizontal marking: DJF V3H.
I have one which looks very similar to the SQ, but has white lettering and is marked vertical 11312, and horizontal DJL and a symbol "half circle with a dot inside" followed by the number 1.
The 3 that just says "PCC189" are without that extra plate under the o-ring getter and is marked vertical:11801 with no small horizontal markings.

When you ask for "metal vertical center plate", what plate do you mean?

BTW: I have only listened to the SQ tube, but they definitely fit really well with my Grado SR325 bringing down the treble.

-Kaj

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,738 of 8,309
Quote:
Can someone recommend a seller for the T1?

I bought mine from kidult510. They ship from UK so no customs inside EU. Fast shipping and seller replied to all of my questions. Amp comes with EH6922 tube and (useless) UK-EU wall plug adapter.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,740 of 8,309
I can hear a lot of people saying "told you so!" - here's the message I got about the aune T1 from Starslove

[size=small]We're writing to let you know that this listing for an item you won or bid on is no longer available:[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]130889822865 - Aune T1 DAC Hi-Fi Pre-amp Audio Amp 24Bit 96KHz 6N11 Tube Headphone Amplifier[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]We understand this may be disappointing, but occasionally we need to remove listings. In some cases, the item itself is fine, but was listed in a way that didn't follow eBay's guidelines.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back