Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #7,726 of 8,309
I would much rather have a T1 than an ODAC. ODAC is clean sounding but lacks the versatility of the T1. Take the Fostex TH900 shortcomings, for example. Wish it had a more forward midrange? Bam, just slap in a mid-forward tube into the T1. I did this at a meet to great effect.

Only DAC I've heard that was a clear upgrade to the T1 was a Schiit Gungnir. What DAC were you using with the C5D?

Also, I paired an Asgard 2 with the T1 for a bit and while it sounded pretty good, it wasn't particularly special.

I was using the built in DAC on the C5D. Also, I am actually not one to tube roll really, too much money for me, I just want something that's accurate now.

I missed that Schiit upgraded the Vali to tube roll. That's fantastic.

I missed that also, pretty awesome addition, great amp for someone trying to get into tubes it seems.

My point was, if you are going to drop $150 on a T1, $70 on a tube and $250 on another amp, you should be considering what your best option is for $470, you know? If your budget is more like $200 and you're driving a high impedance headphone, the T1 and a half decent tube make a nice all-in-one choice.

On the other hand, if you're planning on using the T1 as a DAC only, know that it is nice and musical, but poor in terms of technicality. The soundstage is small, the background is noisy, the transient attack is blurry, it lacks dynamics, it doesn't extend very far in the treble or bass, I'm quite sure THD is quite poor and it lacks microdetail.

However, to Joe's point a couple pages back, the T1 does offer you the ability to customize the sound of your DAC, which is rare.

I'm just giving you the negatives so you can see the whole picture. The positives can be found on every page of this thread.

Here's the reality. You have to choose what you want:
On one side you can have super smooth and musical.
On the other side you get detailed and dynamic.

The reality is, unless you're willing to spend $600 or more on a DAC, you really only get to choose one.

I'm trying to give you a fair and unbiased picture here, based on my experiences at this current point in time. If you want to hear positive things I've said about the T1, search my username in this thread, you'll find several dozen posts, and nearly all of them are positive. Something you said the other night triggered a response in me relative to the lack of balance in opinion about this product. There is nothing wrong with owning it or liking it, but I felt there needed to be some sense of big picture counterbalance here.

I think your idea of renting equipment from the cable co is a good one. There is no better way to find out if you like something than to try it.

Honestly, I'm just trying to help you out man. I'm trying to give you the most current and unbiased opinions I can. I have absolutely no adgenda other than to help you find something that you like. I find it somewhat disrespectful of you to write posts like the one you did above like I can't just come into this thread and see it. Honestly, I give you a fair and well thought out answer and you just kinda smack me in the face for it. I'm sorry if I'm being too straightforward for you. The fact is, I've been there before. I'm just trying to help you connect the dots in a way that makes sense.
See, this is the stuff I heavily dislike about the Aune, the dynamics and microdetails are very meh, and the soundstage is too poor for me. Now I'm sure there's a tube that could fix that, but, I think something that objectively measures amazingly would be what I'm looking for. :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #7,728 of 8,309
Maybe you should get something from Cavalli Audio or Lake People.

What cans are you using?
Hahahaha, that's wayyyyyyy out of my price range. :p I'm using a HiFiMan HE-400i. Besides, the asgard is alright, I just want a nice, accurate DAC, I'd love to get a multibit bifrost or similar, but can't afford that.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #7,729 of 8,309
Maybe you should get something from Cavalli Audio or Lake People.

What cans are you using?
Hahahaha, that's wayyyyyyy out of my price range. :p I'm using a HiFiMan HE-400i. Besides, the asgard is alright, I just want a nice, accurate DAC, I'd love to get a multibit bifrost or similar, but can't afford that.

Hehe, you may want to wait a couple of weeks until they announce the Liquid Spark preorder price.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #7,730 of 8,309
I was using the built in DAC on the C5D. Also, I am actually not one to tube roll really, too much money for me, I just want something that's accurate now.
I missed that also, pretty awesome addition, great amp for someone trying to get into tubes it seems.
See, this is the stuff I heavily dislike about the Aune, the dynamics and microdetails are very meh, and the soundstage is too poor for me. Now I'm sure there's a tube that could fix that, but, I think something that objectively measures amazingly would be what I'm looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think your dream DAC already exists... And it's the Objective DAC! I've owned both the T1 and the ODAC, and while they are quite different I like both of them the way they are.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #7,731 of 8,309
IMO, the Geek Out v2 also works very well with the HD-650's... if you're looking for a more portable DAC/amp. I would recommend making a balanced TRRS connector for the 650's with this combo. To my ears, it has a nicely detailed sound, without coming across overly dry, or smooth. Sounds more satisfying to me than either the Modi2uber or ODAC with the 650's in particular. Not quite as holographic with tube euphonics or warmth as the T1 can sound, but very satisfying for detail junkies. The biggest pain is probably making the balanced TRRS connector, tough. Maybe someone sells one for cheap.

I find comparing the T1 with modded caps and a Philips E188CC Miniwatt to the Geek Out v2, the GOv2 sounds cleaner overall, less bloom... also perhaps a bit more of a sophisticated sounding sound stage. Seems easier to pick out layering, and it does a very decent job of bringing out details. The Miniwatt seems to have a gorgeous euphonic sound, which seems to really shine with vocals, or acoustic/live performances. The GOv2 seems to present things with a bit more authority, a bit forward in comparison, and far less euphonic. I like its sound... a very involving, detailed listen. Too bad the amp is built in... if it had line out to be used as a DAC only, that would also be cool.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #7,732 of 8,309
I think your dream DAC already exists... And it's the Objective DAC! I've owned both the T1 and the ODAC, and while they are quite different I like both of them the way they are.
That's what I'm gonna buy. :)

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #7,736 of 8,309
Jan 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #7,737 of 8,309
Guys sorry I'm new to this thread and I cant read the whole 500 pages to know the answer to my question:
Is the Mk2 only a more powerful amp than the mk1? Is there any difference from the DAC section?

Thanks

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #7,740 of 8,309
I have a question: is the Amperex 6dj8 Golden Globe different from the oft-mentioned Amperex 7308? If yes, which one is better?

Take a look at Joeq70's introductory material on page 1 of this thread (updated in 2015) and the linked material. He discusses both (and prefers the 7308). My own experience included the Voskhod (which many love, but I found too harsh), the Siemans E88CC which is an excellent tube but I didn't think was quite as musical sounding as the 7308, and an Electro Harmonix which came with my T1. Once I tried the 7308 I found it excellent enough so that I pretty much stopped tube rolling and will probably stick with it until it begins to die. One problem with tubes is that they are so subjective. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back