Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 13, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #7,741 of 8,309
Guys sorry I'm new to this thread and I cant read the whole 500 pages to know the answer to my question:
Is the Mk2 only a more powerful amp than the mk1? Is there any difference from the DAC section?

Thanks

Actually, I thought that the only difference between the mk2 and mk1 versions was that a different USB chip was used? So the mk2 now has asynchronous USB and can play 88.2kHz music (and the mk1 has none of these).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #7,742 of 8,309
Take a look at Joeq70's introductory material on page 1 of this thread (updated in 2015) and the linked material. He discusses both (and prefers the 7308). My own experience included the Voskhod (which many love, but I found too harsh), the Siemans E88CC which is an excellent tube but I didn't think was quite as musical sounding as the 7308, and an Electro Harmonix which came with my T1. Once I tried the 7308 I found it excellent enough so that I pretty much stopped tube rolling and will probably stick with it until it begins to die. One problem with tubes is that they are so subjective. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the Amperex is too expensive for me right now (2 times what the 6dj8 costs). I was hoping they are the same :frowning2:

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #7,744 of 8,309
Does anyone have any experience using the Aune T1 as a DAC frontend to a Little Dot MK III or MK IV?

It looks like the Aune uses driver tubes in the same class as the MK III which would be convenient for tube rolling in both.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #7,745 of 8,309
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Has anyone tried this to drive HE-400i or HE-560?

I also happen to own the HE-400i and T1 mk1, though honestly I don't listen to this pair that often now.

I would say that the T1 does an ok job with the HE-400i. The problem is that the amp in the T1 is not really of the best quality. It doesn't really bring out the bass of the 400i that much. Everything else is just ok, though.

So yeah, I don't think I would call this the best pairing, but it doesn't sound entirely bad.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #7,747 of 8,309
Thanks guys..valuable inputs.

FYI I am more interested in the DAC section of the T1 rather than the amp section.
Considering that this has a Tube DAC is what interest me.

I am planning to have a separate DAC and Amp to drive the HE-400i

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #7,748 of 8,309
  Does anyone have any experience using the Aune T1 as a DAC frontend to a Little Dot MK III or MK IV?

It looks like the Aune uses driver tubes in the same class as the MK III which would be convenient for tube rolling in both.

I've had the T1 and the Little Dot I+ for months and I've never tried paring them up. I was afraid that connecting a tube buffered DAC to a tube amp (actually the I+ is hybrid) would make the sound too slow and colored.

Of the T1 owners I know most use the T1 with a solid state amp. I'm plugging it into my speaker system too.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #7,749 of 8,309
  I've had the T1 and the Little Dot I+ for months and I've never tried paring them up. I was afraid that connecting a tube buffered DAC to a tube amp (actually the I+ is hybrid) would make the sound too slow and colored.

Of the T1 owners I know most use the T1 with a solid state amp. I'm plugging it into my speaker system too.

I have been using the MKIII with an older solid state Aune DAC/amp as a DAC and a FIIO X3 as a DAC with good results.  The X3 is a bit smoother but I don't want to hassle with unhooking everything all the time so I was looking for a more permanent desktop solution.  The T1 was an interesting prospect but there is a possibility of too much coloration as you mentioned although there might be a good synergy using a brighter tube in the T1 and mellower tubes in the MK III.  One might never know until it is tried....

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #7,750 of 8,309
Pretty sure the T1 mk1 and T1 mk2 share the exact same DAC chip, the Burr Brown PCM1793 which does support 88.2kHz playback on paper, however, doesn't seem to support on either version. I may be wrong, but I believe the mk2 version had a better USB receiver; the SA 9027 which allows for asynchronous playback (merely reduced jitter, which may or may not be audible)...

Looking at the new T1 mk3 (se), it looks to use the DSD1793... my initial thoughts are that it doesn't seem to be a major change. Personally, I find that DSD sounds great, but it doesn't always sound better than a redbook recording. I would take a DAC capable of resolving a higher noise floor, and not being capable of native DSD playback over a DAC that supports DSD playback with crappier specs. Granted that the cost of the T1 is fairly low; in my opinion, the tube buffer is merely "smoothing over" the parts which make the DAC inferior to more expensive offerings.

I would have preferred for Aune to try a Sabre chip implementation; something along the lines of what LH labs has been doing... these chips notoriously have problems in the treble area- the very area that a tube buffer can "fix".

Honestly, to my ears, the LH labs Geek Out v2 sounds much better than the T1 mk1 and mk2. The Geek Out v2 uses a Sabre chip for the DAC, and a class A amplifier... if you consider yourself a fan of the T1's tube buffered sound, I would highly recommend hearing the Geek Out v2. I think tube fans would also appreciate the class A sound... it's good stuff. Aune also has a "portable" class A offering, in the Aune B1, which I would consider a good pairing with the X1S --- however the price point seems silly adding them together.

I'm extremely curious as to why Aune went with the DSD1793 over a Sabre chip... IMO the 1793 chips naturally sound mid-rich and somewhat less revealing than other treble tiled or more natural sounding chips. How many of you actually listen to DSD and wish your DAC supported it natively? How many of you have compared a very good DAC which doesn't support native DSD to a cheaper DSD DAC? I have compared a bunch, and a well designed "PCM only" DAC will always sound better, from my experience and in my opinion.

I look forward to hearing the new T1 myself, but I can honestly say these days my listening is the Schiit Multibit Gungnir at home, and Geek Out v2 away from home. I have the Aune T1 away from home, with upgraded capacitors and expensive NOS tubes, but I haven't turned it on much since I heard the GO v2.

All my opinion and I welcome other opinions!

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #7,751 of 8,309
The Aune web site lists the Aune T1se.  http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/124.html

It has a different dac chip. XMOS+DSD1793+OP/BUF

Seems to be selling for $250 - $270 usd on ebay and amazon.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #7,754 of 8,309
I thought I read somewhere that DACs using Sabre chips are struggling a little with glare and harshness. I think the chip doesn't make the DAC, but the implementation instead.

Sabre DAC + tube buffer = no harsh treble.

There are also a couple of Sabre DACs with tolerable treble without tubes in the mix. Just a couple...

As far as implementation, I agree. Good luck at the < $1000 price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back