Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 17, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #7,681 of 8,309
I've been comparing my Asgard 2 and Aune T1 combo to my friends JDS Labs C5D, and the C5D is fuller and sounds a good bit better to me. Now, I'd love to trade my Aune T1 for an ODAC and compare the ODAC + Asgard 2 to the C5D, but, no one wants to trade haha.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #7,682 of 8,309
Most of the people here love the T1 of course. For it's retail price, I would have passed, but for $80 used, this thing is really worth every dollar. I've rolled several tubes with it and they really helped me achieve the kind of sound I'm looking for. I was expecting a lot from the 7308 based on the reviews, but it's not even on my top three tubes.

Also, I'm not using the T1 as a HP amp/dac. I'm using it as pure DAC to feed signal to my Yamaha CA-1010 receiver driving a pair of KEF 104/2. 

I'm now using a Russian 6N1P on it that I bought for $5 shipped. It is very holographic and warm without losing much detail. Soundstage is wide and airy. For the 7308, I find it to be more "solid-state" sounding. The 6N1P, 6n23P, and Siemens Halske (RCA Printed red) 6DJ8 sounded more warm to me.

What I've learned so far is not to purely base your gear on what you read on the internet. Cheap stuff doesn't mean it cannot make you happy and satisfied. The T1 is a great device for the money, and the tube rolling just made it more appealing to the consumers. If it doesn't sound good to you, sell it, buy a more expensive and better equipment, and move on.

Not everyone will like the T1, but it sure served well for the most people here.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #7,683 of 8,309
  Most of the people here love the T1 of course. For it's retail price, I would have passed, but for $80 used, this thing is really worth every dollar. I've rolled several tubes with it and they really helped me achieve the kind of sound I'm looking for. I was expecting a lot from the 7308 based on the reviews, but it's not even on my top three tubes.

Also, I'm not using the T1 as a HP amp/dac. I'm using it as pure DAC to feed signal to my Yamaha CA-1010 receiver driving a pair of KEF 104/2. 

I'm now using a Russian 6N1P on it that I bought for $5 shipped. It is very holographic and warm without losing much detail. Soundstage is wide and airy. For the 7308, I find it to be more "solid-state" sounding. The 6N1P, 6n23P, and Siemens Halske (RCA Printed red) 6DJ8 sounded more warm to me.

What I've learned so far is not to purely base your gear on what you read on the internet. Cheap stuff doesn't mean it cannot make you happy and satisfied. The T1 is a great device for the money, and the tube rolling just made it more appealing to the consumers. If it doesn't sound good to you, sell it, buy a more expensive and better equipment, and move on.

Not everyone will like the T1, but it sure served well for the most people here.

Thanks for the info!  How does it work when you use it as a HP DAC?

Interesting about the Amperex, but I guess everyone has their likes, and probably each set of HPs will make a difference too.

I'm feeling that the Aune probably isn't for me.  Just a lot of comments on it not being that good fo rthe X2's as well.

But at the same time, it seems like a nice DAC, and I don't know if there are other Tube DACs out there, which makes it unique...

A few people were talking about the Vali 2 being good for the X2's, but others were saying you're takign a warm tube amp, and warm headphones....

But that again comes to the question about "Bright" tube amps.  I was reading a comment on here about it, and people had varying degrees of opinion on it.

It seems like the tube itself is was matters.  YOu can get a warm tube, or a bright tube, the properties of the tube will "color" the sound to what you want.

The vali looks nice, and is the same price as the Aune.  The Aune also seemed to have some issues reported by people here, so having something that's All American made and seems to be of quality is nice, plus tons of people love Schiit...

Just not sure if a Vali 2/Modi 2-Uber would work, but the advice I got, which I wanted to do first, was try out my gear on onboard audio, and see if it can power it or not, since the X2's are low Impedance HPs...

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #7,684 of 8,309
I've been comparing my Asgard 2 and Aune T1 combo to my friends JDS Labs C5D, and the C5D is fuller and sounds a good bit better to me. Now, I'd love to trade my Aune T1 for an ODAC and compare the ODAC + Asgard 2 to the C5D, but, no one wants to trade haha.

I would much rather have a T1 than an ODAC. ODAC is clean sounding but lacks the versatility of the T1. Take the Fostex TH900 shortcomings, for example. Wish it had a more forward midrange? Bam, just slap in a mid-forward tube into the T1. I did this at a meet to great effect.

Only DAC I've heard that was a clear upgrade to the T1 was a Schiit Gungnir. What DAC were you using with the C5D?

Also, I paired an Asgard 2 with the T1 for a bit and while it sounded pretty good, it wasn't particularly special.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #7,685 of 8,309
I would much rather have a T1 than an ODAC. ODAC is clean sounding but lacks the versatility of the T1. Take the Fostex TH900 shortcomings, for example. Wish it had a more forward midrange? Bam, just slap in a mid-forward tube into the T1. I did this at a meet to great effect.

Only DAC I've heard that was a clear upgrade to the T1 was a Schiit Gungnir. What DAC were you using with the C5D?

Also, I paired an Asgard 2 with the T1 for a bit and while it sounded pretty good, it wasn't particularly special.

you do make good points, but couldn't the same be achieved with a tube amp?

Any comments on the X2 with the the Aune?

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #7,686 of 8,309
you do make good points, but couldn't the same be achieved with a tube amp?

Any comments on the X2 with the the Aune?

I imagine that you can do it with a tube amp but the reason I have stood by the T1 all these years is:

1-The T1 is not only inexpensive but it also only uses 1 tube unlike most tube amps, so replacement cost for tubes is reasonable and the price to try new tubes is cheaper.

2- Being a DAC, the T1 works with any headphone, while amps vary in compatibility because of each headphone's power requirements/impedance/sensitivity.

Regarding the X2, unfortunately, I cannot comment because I haven't heard it. I would like to someday though!

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #7,687 of 8,309
I imagine that you can do it with a tube amp but the reason I have stood by the T1 all these years is:

1-The T1 is not only inexpensive but it also only uses 1 tube unlike most tube amps, so replacement cost for tubes is reasonable and the price to try new tubes is cheaper.

2- Being a DAC, the T1 works with any headphone, while amps vary in compatibility because of each headphone's power requirements.

Regarding the X2, unfortunately, I cannot comment because I haven't heard it. I would like to someday though!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I've heard that the X2 doesn't work good with the Aune, but it sounds like that's if you use the built in Amp...  If you use a better Amp, I would assume it would be better.

The Vali 2 is a single tube, and is the same price as the Aune, from Schiit's website  http://schiit.com/products/vali-2

No sure what I'm going to do, besides read more reviews on everything, and get opinions on things.  A lot of people in here really like the Aune, one user on the last page seems to this it's not good, so we will have to read more Aune thread and find out :).

I do like the idea about swapping tubes, for different sounds, that is why I have been looking at these tube setups.  I like the idea of single tube setups.

Would you want a different tube on the Aune, that you would on a single tube amp?

So lets say I did ge the aune, and the Vali 2, would I use the same tube (if the slots are the same), or would I find a tube that suits each individually?

Thanks for the help :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #7,688 of 8,309
Yes you can share tubes with the Vali 2 because they also use the same tube types.

I've tried a multitude of DACs and you'd really have to move higher up the chain to get a better DAC. If not, the upgrade would be negligible after a few hours of using without direct comparison. The T1 amp is a little bright so an amp change could help.

I haven't tried the X2 with the T1, but I imagine even if the pairing doesn't have synergy, it will sound a lot better than straight out through laptop/MP3 players.

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #7,689 of 8,309
I'm now back in the club with the T1 mk2 and a tube marked as "83/65/83" (can't find any info on it from the net). Overally the sound is great but I think I'd be looking for a better tube. Can anyone recommend a detailed but musical tube for soft Pop and something powerful for Glam Metal? Any recommendations will be much appreciated

Cheers

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #7,690 of 8,309
Yes you can share tubes with the Vali 2 because they also use the same tube

I believe you're thinking of the Lyr 2. It uses the same tubes. The Vali 2 has smaller tubes that are soldered and not roll-able.

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #7,692 of 8,309

How long did you burn in the 7308? For me it took a good 50 hours or so to open up. I'm primarily a vinyl guy, so that's the sound I go for with a tube, and the 7308, in my system, brought me the closest. Like I said earlier though, everyone's tastes, ears and systems are different

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #7,693 of 8,309
I believe you're thinking of the Lyr 2. It uses the same tubes. The Vali 2 has smaller tubes that are soldered and not roll-able.

Roll Your Own Sound
Vali 2 is supplied with a single NOS RCA 6BZ7 tube, which can be swapped for the same tubes we use in Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2—feel free to use virtually any ECC88, 6922, 6DJ8, 2492, etc to “roll” the sound to your own preference. Plus, you only need a single tube, so rolling is easy and more affordable!

vali-2-pcb-1920.jpg

Vali 2 webpage.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #7,695 of 8,309
How long did you burn in the 7308? For me it took a good 50 hours or so to open up. I'm primarily a vinyl guy, so that's the sound I go for with a tube, and the 7308, in my system, brought me the closest. Like I said earlier though, everyone's tastes, ears and systems are different

Really? Maybe only about 20+ hours or so? Hhhmm... That's interesting since my 7308 is not NOS and I thought it would need less burn in time. But, I'll take your word and will give it more time to burn in and see if it'll improve or not.

Thanks Marc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back