Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 1, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #7,156 of 8,309
"I know some versions of the Aune had a bug where 24Bit mode wasn't available"

Yes that's exactly what I was talking about, it will not allow me to pick 24 bit period. In Windows, foobar anything 16 and 32 bit is all that's listed.

As for gain I have my original T1 on 10db setting too on the mk2 I tried 16 db but it sounded like crap.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #7,157 of 8,309
  update: tried to low foobar volume to 50%, with 10db gain setting on t1, sound better...so weird, I always set max vol in foobar to get bit perfect and have no problem with another DAC/amps. Do you set 100% volume in foobar guys?

Try downloading Wasapi driver for your foobar and set it to Wasapi PUSH. It will forcefeed the audio files into Aune T1 without any pre-processing by windows audio drivers. One downside is that it gives priority to Foobar and Foobar alone, so if you play other things like youtube or windows media player, there wouldn't be any sound. You'll need to stop Foobar from playing music (not pause) so other things can be played. Also do note that musics encoded at a higher bitrate than 24/96 won't be able to be played by Aune T1 because the DAC only supports up to 24/96. If you had been able to play 24/192 through the Aune T1, that means the signal had been downsampled prior to being fed to Aune T1. Wasapi PUSH will make the DAC portion of the Aune T1 process everything. to it's maximum capability.

Yes I do set the volume to 100%, I personally can't hear any difference between 100% or lower, but I just do because "just in case".

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #7,158 of 8,309
I did, always use latest driver. Low the windows mixer vol to 50% and set foobar max vol is my solution now, so bad.
But when I try to run it as DAC or AMP only (because I have the fiio e10k as DAC and the receiver as AMP also), the problem is gone. SO WEIRD -,-

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #7,159 of 8,309
Sounds your like T1 has an issue.

I use windows at 100% volume to Foobar WASAPI (event) to the T1, and volume at maybe the first or second dot 25% to 50% at gain 0dB. It is plenty, plenty loud. Trying 10dB, I hear compression and loss of details.

As far as 32 bit support, I have no 32 bit material. Also, I am convinced that we are not actually hearing bit perfect playback on any cheap DAC. If you have a delta sigma chip, you're losing resolution. The only true bit perfect playback in my opinion are R-R DACs from the 90's with 12 or 14 bit resolution (this is really, actually bit perfect, not some BS 32 bit resolution from a DS chip). I also feel that if people actually understood that most music doesn't even touch 12 bits, they'd care far less about encoding music at 24 or 32 bit resolution, and far more about having a DAC that can actually fully support the 16 bits of resolution the music may contain. The dynamic range goes from far below your threshold of hearing to literally blowing your ear drums apart.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #7,160 of 8,309
"As far as 32 bit support, I have no 32 bit material."

Yea exactly which is why it pisses me off. I'm pretty sure mikoss you were posting on the thread at the site this was brought up months and months ago. Their explanation was its a labeling issue. meaning it says 32 bit but its really doing 24 bit. Yea really well tell that to windows and foobar /w wasapi....What exactly am I supposed to do with 32 bit as you point out no one has ANY 32 bit anything. And yea I know but still I like to keep things as perfect as I can , well anyway whatever. It does sound good. But it's annoying as $^&$

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #7,163 of 8,309
Even if it does support 32 bit, it won't make much difference in the sq department. It's a budget dac so I wouldn't dissect it too much, as long as it does the job then it's good enough for me. I'm in it for the tubes.

Thank you for saying this!

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #7,164 of 8,309
I really hope the new iteration from Aune with a tube buffer will support native DSD playback because this FiiO X3K is blowing my mind vs. my old Cowon iAudio 9+
L3000.gif

Oh btw, to anyone who may be interested in the 1963 Holland 7308 Bugle Boy, I am entertaining trade offers.  I'm not sure what people think I am going to be asking for the tube, but many people have sent me PMs saying they wish they had the cash??? haha

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #7,165 of 8,309
Yeah, strike! I ventured out in the city to see if I could find a cheap, unpowered and small usb 2.0 hub to drive the T1 with the lightning to usb camera connector (iPad and iPhone), and I found one which looked perfect, at only 12 bucks:

I admittedly didnt have a lot of faith, but I am very happy to say it works perfectly! I am now able to use only these components to make it work:

VERY happy about this, and I will get another identical hub as a backup. Unfortunately I think this is a Scandinavian product, so I guess it doesn't help most of you guys, but it's probably nice to get another confirmation that unpowered hubs work just fine (at least some) ✌:tone1:

Thanks for helping out, and cheers!

PS: It also works with other usb devices. Cool. Oh, just one tip. Unplug the camera kit, connect the T1 (or other devices) before plugging the camera kit in (and don't hotswap). Remove the kit before turning off the T1, or the iPad/iPhone may act wonky and freeze.

The name of this usb hub is: deltaco UH-408
For anyone interested

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #7,167 of 8,309
Yeah, strike! I ventured out in the city to see if I could find a cheap, unpowered and small usb 2.0 hub to drive the T1 with the lightning to usb camera connector (iPad and iPhone), and I found one which looked perfect, at only 12 bucks:

I admittedly didnt have a lot of faith, but I am very happy to say it works perfectly! I am now able to use only these components to make it work:

VERY happy about this, and I will get another identical hub as a backup. Unfortunately I think this is a Scandinavian product, so I guess it doesn't help most of you guys, but it's probably nice to get another confirmation that unpowered hubs work just fine (at least some) ✌:tone1:

Thanks for helping out, and cheers!

PS: It also works with other usb devices. Cool. Oh, just one tip. Unplug the camera kit, connect the T1 (or other devices) before plugging the camera kit in (and don't hotswap). Remove the kit before turning off the T1, or the iPad/iPhone may act wonky and freeze.

Can the Aune drive your HD600 effectively? I strongly suppose no, but guess it never hurts to ask

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #7,168 of 8,309
  Can the Aune drive your HD600 effectively? I strongly suppose no, but guess it never hurts to ask

It at least makes it sound good/decent, based on having auditioned with the HD650 with the T1. I don't know if it would really bring out the full potential of the HD600 though (mainly because I have not been able to pair the HD650 with a better setup, not that the pairing sounded bad).

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #7,169 of 8,309
That's great. My boss bought the HD650 and have not amped it yet... So he asks me for a recommendation, but my O2 could not drive the cans and I suppose my Little Dot I+ wouldn't, either. Gonna bring the Aune T1 for him to try.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #7,170 of 8,309
Works great with the 6xx series phones. Not quite as powerful as using an external amp, but a very detailed, tonally correct presentation can be had.

I would urge you to try some Holland tubes with these headphones. The midrange can sound very, very nice.

I am pretty sure Aune tested the T1 with the 6xx series headphones... It may sound a bit polite, but I enjoy the sound myself quite a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back