Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 20, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #7,126 of 8,309
  The 32 bit I'm guessing is just pretend working. 24 bit support was broken on early Mk2 T1s. If you go to Massdrop you can dig through the comments on the Mk2 for the firmware update to fix it. I hounded Massdrop to get Aune to make it right, but I'm guessing you're one of the earlier shipments. 

That's quite a bruhaha in the comment section :)

So I guess I'm indeed a 'victim' of the first orders. Downloaded the official release of aune and saviaudio. They're talking about using eeprom utility to fix it. Now where can I find that? The only software link in the comment section installs a useless ASIO thingamajic. 

May 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #7,128 of 8,309

That's quite a bruhaha in the comment section :)

So I guess I'm indeed a 'victim' of the first orders. Downloaded the official release of aune and saviaudio. They're talking about using eeprom utility to fix it. Now where can I find that? The only software link in the comment section installs a useless ASIO thingamajic. 

Apparently I was drunk or have amnesia. I searched my email history to see if I could find the tool, but couldn't. Turns out I sent it in for an RMA. Try contacting Massdrop if you got it from them for a replacement.

May 21, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #7,129 of 8,309

Apparently I was drunk or have amnesia. I searched my email history to see if I could find the tool, but couldn't. Turns out I sent it in for an RMA. Try contacting Massdrop if you got it from them for a replacement.

Bummer....

I have contacted Candy from Aune. Still waiting for her reply.

On another note, this is just out of curiosity. Does anyone know what architecture is the T1's headphone amp part? Is it class-A?

May 22, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #7,130 of 8,309
Just added 2 new tubes to my collection: 
GE Smokie 6DJ8
Siemens ECC88

Will post reviews of them when they arrive along with reviews of all other tubes in my collection. I wanted to wait until I've had a good amount of tubes so that i post a review of them all at once. 

May 22, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #7,131 of 8,309

Bummer....

I have contacted Candy from Aune. Still waiting for her reply.

On another note, this is just out of curiosity. Does anyone know what architecture is the T1's headphone amp part? Is it class-A?

They're op-amps... not sure of the chips... I'd have to pull mine apart and check again.

May 22, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #7,133 of 8,309
They're op-amps... not sure of the chips... I'd have to pull mine apart and check again.

Hey Mike. You really were correct the 650's ARE a great match for the t1. :wink: Finally got the usb dac up and running now, and testing as I'm speaking. Only have the standard tube, but sure sounds good to me. Going to test my PS1000's afterwards.

May 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #7,134 of 8,309
Hey Mike. You really were correct the 650's ARE a great match for the t1.
wink.gif
Finally got the usb dac up and running now, and testing as I'm speaking. Only have the standard tube, but sure sounds good to me. Going to test my PS1000's afterwards.

Excellent. There are a lot of really great tubes in the 6DJ8 family that work with the T1... my personal favourites for the 650's come from from the Heerlen, Holland plant... look for a Philips or Amperex tube with a factory code with a "half triangle" like this:

They are usually marked as 6DJ8/ECC88, or the longer life versions which are E88CC/6922 or E188CC/7308 or CCa. (Usually branded as Philips, Amperex, or Valvo).

Other superb tubes are Siemens CCa (grey shield), or if you don't want any extra warmth, try Telefunken tubes.

There are also far cheaper tubes, but generally the price of the tube is correlated with demand and availability.

May 22, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #7,135 of 8,309
Excellent. There are a lot of really great tubes in the 6DJ8 family that work with the T1... my personal favourites for the 650's come from from the Heerlen, Holland plant... look for a Philips or Amperex tube with a factory code with a "half triangle" like this:

They are usually marked as 6DJ8/ECC88, or the longer life versions which are E88CC/6922 or E188CC/7308 or CCa. (Usually branded as Philips, Amperex, or Valvo).

Other superb tubes are Siemens CCa (grey shield), or if you don't want any extra warmth, try Telefunken tubes.

There are also far cheaper tubes, but generally the price of the tube is correlated with demand and availability.

Cool. Thanks a lot for your tips Mike. I will look into it. My PS1000's does not sound very good on this tube I'm afraid. The sibilance almost increased I would say. Then again I'm coming directly from the 650's, an my ears always need to adapt some. Hey, even the 650's sounded bad the first few minutes I were testing them on my Oppo HA2 when I got them.

Guess I need a very warm tube for the Grados.

May 22, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #7,136 of 8,309
To be honest, I found the stock tube had harsh highs for myself as well. I find this with most of the Chinese and Russian tubes I've heard, but I also hear people who really enjoy them. I find they need a good 40 hours to settle in either way.

I really enjoyed Siemens tubes with the Grados that I heard. The treble on the E188CC Philips tubes is also very refined sounding. Another good spot to lurk for tube rolling is the Lyr tube rolling thread as they roll the same tubes as the T1.

May 22, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #7,137 of 8,309
To be honest, I found the stock tube had harsh highs for myself as well. I find this with most of the Chinese and Russian tubes I've heard, but I also hear people who really enjoy them. I find they need a good 40 hours to settle in either way.

I really enjoyed Siemens tubes with the Grados that I heard. The treble on the E188CC Philips tubes is also very refined sounding. Another good spot to lurk for tube rolling is the Lyr tube rolling thread as they roll the same tubes as the T1.

Ok. I'll see if i can dig up some of those Siemens tubes then. Thing is, the PS1000's are so hypersensitive to a lot of things. They almost act like a detectives that are looking for problems, wherever they can find them, and a bad mix on them sounds like some child opened up a radio and put it back together the wrong way. I have heard people complaining about sibilance in these PS1000's, but didn't get what they meant until now. They sound perfect on the Oppo however. Weird that I heard no such problems on the 650's. And to think (uninitiated) people say that the difference between amps, tubes and other components are negligible. Hah!

May 23, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #7,138 of 8,309

Oh and, is the op-amp the little black chip beside the dip switches?

Or is it located on the main PCB (considering this little PCB links to the main PCB)

If it's indeed that little black chip in the picture, I could take a look at the type easily. I got 2x freshly uninstalled PCBs sitting around.

May 25, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #7,140 of 8,309
Ahh. Back from a cabin trip Saturday till now (had to remove a tick on me and my gf both), and my sweet Aune T1. I know quite a few may consider the ATH-M50's "second rate", but I have to say the T1 really brought out the best from these. Lots of balanced, energetic lows, and good treble, even on low levels (and this on the standard tube). Love :cupid: Looking forward to trying out the HE-400 (non i version) that are posted and on their way to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back