Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 24, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #4,338 of 8,309
Jan 24, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #4,339 of 8,309
Hello all, my first post here so please bear with me with my inexperience.

So I'm interested in this DAC, will be using it with powered speakers (hs80m) and some IEM's. What I'm wondering is does the volume control work for both the 6.5mm and rca outputs, and will the dac mute the rca output when I plug in my headphones/iem like a few other DAC's do?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #4,340 of 8,309
  So this arrived today..works awesome and will save my AUNE socket. Now, I paid a little more (okay maybe triple) the cost of a normal socket saver, but sometimes if you are going to put anything in your signal chain, you want to be sure it is of good quality. Not doing so would be like putting $10 RCA's on a $2000 Turntable.

~~This Plug & Play, 9-pin B9A NOVAL NOVIB Socket Saver©with Vibration Reduction Base, and Gold Plated Pins on the socket end is a perfect solution. Anti-vibration Base* is filled with silicone to reduce microphonics. Tube pins are exact size of a typical NOS Philips tube for snug fit, unlike cheap Chinese bases with thinner pins that wobble in the sockets. Engineered in-house and precision manufactured for us with high quality materials overseas

Imho, all those socket savers are useless, especially if you have some soldering skills (IF you ever need to replace socket).
All that high-quality materials & silicone to reduce microphonics is kind of marketing & audiophile pseudo BS.
I`ve had Aune T1 little over 1 year for now and I`m changing tubes like crazy... I see no excessive wear on socket pins. Any additional contact point between tube and socket pins is bad imo (like in case of most audio connections/paths). Lol, some even claim that socket saver will change sound to better. I only see some point having socket saver for adapter mod or in guitar amps where this "silicone to reduce microphonics" might actually be useful because of shaking/rumbling amps. Well, you could place your Aune T1 also stupidly near subwoofer/speakers and make your tubes shake, lol. Or if you want to add some hum or other weird sounds, just place it near other electric equipment with enough EMI. One question to think about - how much is there been seen those socket savers being used with other amps/DAC`s? Eeeemh... can`t see much of them being used.
But all this is just my subjective opinion about socket savers.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #4,341 of 8,309
  Imho, all those socket savers are useless, especially if you have some soldering skills (IF you ever need to replace socket).
All that high-quality materials & silicone to reduce microphonics is kind of marketing & audiophile pseudo BS.
I`ve had Aune T1 little over 1 year for now and I`m changing tubes like crazy... I see no excessive wear on socket pins. Any additional contact point between tube and socket pins is bad imo (like in case of most audio connections/paths). Lol, some even claim that socket saver will change sound to better. I only see some point having socket saver for adapter mod or in guitar amps where this "silicone to reduce microphonics" might actually be useful because of shaking/rumbling amps. Well, you could place your Aune T1 also stupidly near subwoofer/speakers and make your tubes shake, lol. Or if you want to add some hum or other weird sounds, just place it near other electric equipment with enough EMI. One question to think about - how much is there been seen those socket savers being used with other amps/DAC`s? Eeeemh... can`t see much of them being used.

As we say in the states "Tell me how you really feel".

I really don't care about your opinion on this as it has limited value to the thread. The thread is supposed to be about helping people, showing them new things, etc. Just because you have seen limited (and that's a really good word) wear on your AUNE socket doesn't mean it doesn't happen. They get loose and a small accident can cause breaks in the socket connections themselves. I have been around tubes long enough to see how worn sockets can get.

I also never stated the device was an enhancer, that is your fantasy. I did copy the quote from the seller and in case you didn't know, microphonics is real. It can be caused by many things including vibration on cheap plastic connections.  I could have gone with a cheap plastic connector however; it would and could be a potential downfall in the signal chain. Sometimes for a few dollars more it is better to go with better made materials...If not then why the hell were you changing caps ? Because you "thought" they would be better.

As to soldering skills, mine are quite fine. Whether it is a simple cap or an amp with over 500 solder points. no issues. But not everyone can do that and if they break a socket, its tough luck.

This is the second time you have "pushed me" on this thread. I let the first one go..I don't suggest any more as I am only SO tolerant. Keep it to the pertinent thread and the positive concept of helping people, not bashing ideas to help folks that differ from you very limited "opinion".

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #4,342 of 8,309
Hello all, my first post here so please bear with me with my inexperience.

So I'm interested in this DAC, will be using it with powered speakers (hs80m) and some IEM's. What I'm wondering is does the volume control work for both the 6.5mm and rca outputs, and will the dac mute the rca output when I plug in my headphones/iem like a few other DAC's do?

Thanks for your help.
No, just the 6.5mm gets volume control. RCA out is fixed and always on.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #4,345 of 8,309
Just got the T1. First unit received had a defective volume control. One side was intermittent. Running the stock tube or gold pin version (what I had around). Amperex on order. 

Sounds good. I do hear the tube weight, bloom. I prefer it over the similarly priced FiiO e17/e09. 

It does suffer compared to the more expensive units I have on hand. The T1 sounds congested in comparison. Doesn't resolve detail as well and in general not quite as refined. Still a great unit and doesn't do anything wrong per se. 

I'll looking into replacing caps soon and more tube rolling. T1 has lots of potential. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #4,346 of 8,309
I had a preamp that used 12at7's that wad super microphonic no matter what tube I put in it. I HAD to use those exact same socket savers and the silicone orings to stop the ringing at higher volumes.

Now with the Aune I am not sure this would be a problem, but I wore out my socket already and replaced it just a few days ago. There is nothing wrong with using one, since I can verify it does wear out over time if you swap enough tubes.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,347 of 8,309
  So this arrived today..works awesome and will save my AUNE socket. Now, I paid a little more (okay maybe triple) the cost of a normal socket saver, but sometimes if you are going to put anything in your signal chain, you want to be sure it is of good quality. Not doing so would be like putting $10 RCA's on a $2000 Turntable.

~~This Plug & Play, 9-pin B9A NOVAL NOVIB Socket Saver©with Vibration Reduction Base, and Gold Plated Pins on the socket end is a perfect solution. Anti-vibration Base* is filled with silicone to reduce microphonics. Tube pins are exact size of a typical NOS Philips tube for snug fit, unlike cheap Chinese bases with thinner pins that wobble in the sockets. Engineered in-house and precision manufactured for us with high quality materials overseas

I'm using one of this ,bought this since my stock socket inside of the unit is installed on a slight angle so when I plug in the tube it looks awkward and NOVIB takes care of this it also protects the socket /extends the life of the original ,it's not "mandatory" to have one but can come handy for future moding as lwrs10 mention 
P.S. I have some free time this weekend so will replace  caps  

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #4,348 of 8,309
  I'm using one of this ,bought this since my stock socket inside of the unit is installed on a slight angle so when I plug in the tube it looks awkward and NOVIB takes care of this it also protects the socket /extends the life of the original ,it's not "mandatory" to have one but can come handy for future moding as lwrs10 mention 
P.S. I have some free time this weekend so will replace  caps  

Glad you can work on the AUNE (maybe straighten the socket too ? )

I was going to do my re-cap, maybe still will...But I am in the midst of a tune-up on my velleman...DONT ASK - LOL..But she is going to get a partial recap soon also

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #4,349 of 8,309

There's discussion all over the place about them.  One example - many Lyr owners consider them mandatory, given that the stock Lyr configuration has the tubes sitting very low in the amp.  Raising them up not only makes them easier to swap/roll, it helps both the tubes and the amp run cooler.  I actually use two savers per socket in my Lyr as I prefer the tubes to be up and out of the chassis, and there is no degradation in sound.  I also use them on my tube tester - I'd rather throw away an inexpensive socket saver than wear out and have to replace or repair the sockets, and no, there are no questions about my soldering skills.   

As the T1 uses a tube stage with no gain, it's not very susceptible to microphonics, but that doesn't mean tube microphonics can't be an issue.  Amps and preamps that use tubes in the gain stage can be extremely sensitive.   Suggested reading:  http://www.thevalvepage.com/valvetek/microph/microph.htm   Vibration can come from many sources, not just placing an amp in front of a speaker or subwoofer or in a guitar amp.   In the Schiit Vali, for example, microphonics are so common and expected with the type of tubes they use that they state it over and over again on the Web site, product documentation and posts about the amp.   On some Vali amps, merely plugging in the headphones or adjusting the volume can cause ringing in the tubes for several minutes. 

In theory I can certainly see where the pins inside of the socket saver being encased in silicone could help dampen vibration coming up through a piece of gear's chassis.   In my own experience, I've found that using tube dampers provides more of a benefit than silicone-filled socket savers when it comes to reducing microphonics in the tube gear that I own.  I'm sure others have had different results, these things can be very gear/tube/environment-specific.

With the T1, there's also a purely cosmetic thing I like about using a socket saver... it blocks most of the glaringly-bright white LED.  I'd rather see the tube glowing than have a flashlight coming out of the box.

I realize you're just expressing your opinion, but that came across as pretty harsh and dismissive towards Rob's post.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back