Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #4,306 of 8,309

How does that RTC sound?

since you ask ,here is my first review 

Source: Foobar2K (wasapi event output) -> FLAC 700kbps or above or mp3 320kbps ->Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO and HiFiman 400

Scale [1~5]
Sound stage - How wide and deep the sound is.
Imaging – The shape of the sound stage and how vocals and instruments fit in there (positioning).
Transparency – How each instrument is separated and how much air is between the instruments.
Loudness (value)-[low/medium/high]

E188CC MULLARD. RTC BRANDED. , GOLD PINS. CRYOTREATED
Dimple Disc Getter/single support wire/seamed top

Acquire this tube for it's intriguing build quality/rare and hard to find outside Europe 
First impressions are soundstage which is wide but not tall ,instrument seperation is pretty good ,this is one of the "clean" sounding tubes as I like to call it (detail,pinpoint accuracy ) and will show all the recording discrepancies,this is airy tube as well and most important natural and well balanced, warm midrange, and bass is accurate and not overwhelming 
Since this is Mullard familly it's hard to find what stands out from other Mullards I own but if I have to pick one it would be slight sparkle in highs ,very nice tube (plays nice with both headphones)

Sound stage - ****
Imaging – ***½
Transparency – ****
Loudness (value)-Medium
Total: 11.5 / 15

EDIT; will do Reflector 1969 next ("from Russia with love") 

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #4,307 of 8,309
What are the big tubes in the back? What do you use them for?

6sn7 & 7236, they're the driver and power tubes for the darkvoice 336. Will also work in a Crack w/ adapter

^^^ this 
P.S. thanks for you help with DV 
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4,309 of 8,309

That sucks..and those are two good sounding tubes...defective ?

I received my black plate today..DEFECTIVE..uggg...Right channel about 1/2 of the left..never had that happen...sucks

I didn't give up on my Sylvania ..I reseat the tube again and noticed less distortion ,so I'm hoping that cleaning the pins might help  

Originally Posted by CoiL 
  NB! Everybody who are using higher voltage/current tubes - make sure you clean your NOS tube pins properly!!! I tried this other PCC85 I got (different build from earlier mentioned PCC85) and without cleaning pins it sounded crackly and distorted. After cleaning - works like a charm!

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #4,310 of 8,309
  On another note..I have all my caps...and may just store them away...My AUNE sounds great..so why mess with it? Not an itch I need to scratch right now...LOL...

Sensible decision imo. Hopefully will get my ELNA Silmic II caps soon so I could test them and give feedback if cap "upgrade" is really worth it. Atm I still miss stock caps because of littlebit better mids/mid-lows & dynamics (vocals) affected by it.

Btw, I have russian 6N1P-EB (steel pin voskhod rocket version, not pulse version) & Sylvania ECC189 (yellow bolt logo, grey plate) incoming soon.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #4,311 of 8,309
Coil,

Thanks for being the beta tester..LOL

I have all my parts and then I thought "DO I REALLY need to or do I like it as it sounds?" I could change them out in a heartbeat but then if I don't like them after burn in, have to change back, worry about the solder pads, etc.

Maybe one day like I said, when I get an OCD bug...LOL

Let us know how it works out

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4,312 of 8,309
  Coil,

Thanks for being the beta tester..LOL

I have all my parts and then I thought "DO I REALLY need to or do I like it as it sounds?" I could change them out in a heartbeat but then if I don't like them after burn in, have to change back, worry about the solder pads, etc.

Maybe one day like I said, when I get an OCD bug...LOL

Let us know how it works out

Some people were really happy with the EH6922 also.

Now before everyone throws the recapping under the bus, think about this. You can "roll" different brands of caps in there and change the sound just like you can with tubes....just takes a bit more work. 

Coil used totally different caps than I did, and got a different result. Specs are not everything.

And the end result on my Aune is I only change the secondary supply caps, and put the originals back in elsewhere. It would take someone at your skill level maybe 15 minutes to swap them out and give it a shot. If you don't like it, swap the others back in. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #4,313 of 8,309

Some people were really happy with the EH6922 also.

Now before everyone throws the recapping under the bus, think about this. You can "roll" different brands of caps in there and change the sound just like you can with tubes....just takes a bit more work. 

Coil used totally different caps than I did, and got a different result. Specs are not everything.

And the end result on my Aune is I only change the secondary supply caps, and put the originals back in elsewhere. It would take someone at your skill level maybe 15 minutes to swap them out and give it a shot. If you don't like it, swap the others back in. 

lwrs10....DONT TEASE ME...LOL

You are creating an itch I may wish to scratch...specifically, which caps did you change, the smaller purple ones (I have some nice Panasonic for those) or the Lelons? I have Nichicons for those...

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #4,314 of 8,309

lwrs10....DONT TEASE ME...LOL

You are creating an itch I may wish to scratch...specifically, which caps did you change, the smaller purple ones (I have some nice Panasonic for those) or the Lelons? I have Nichicons for those...

change both you just mentioned.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #4,315 of 8,309
I've recently purchased both the Aune T1 and the HD650's but I have an issue (at least I think I do)...

I'm a desktop computer user who plays online games. When playing online, I communicate with buddies through a program called Ventrilo (its like skype). However, since I thoroughly enjoy listening to music and watching blu-rays on my PC, I decided to finally up my audio game with the combo I mentioned above.

The HD650s obviously don't come with an mic so I'll be purchasing the ModMic to solve that problem. The HD650s will be plugged into the Aune T1, but where do I plug in the mic? 

Its been suggested in this thread to disable my onboard soundcard to ensure sound is only being pushed through via USB into the T1.

Any ideas as to how I'll get around this problem?

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #4,317 of 8,309
  I've recently purchased both the Aune T1 and the HD650's but I have an issue (at least I think I do)...

I'm a desktop computer user who plays online games. When playing online, I communicate with buddies through a program called Ventrilo (its like skype). However, since I thoroughly enjoy listening to music and watching blu-rays on my PC, I decided to finally up my audio game with the combo I mentioned above.

The HD650s obviously don't come with an mic so I'll be purchasing the ModMic to solve that problem. The HD650s will be plugged into the Aune T1, but where do I plug in the mic? 

Its been suggested in this thread to disable my onboard soundcard to ensure sound is only being pushed through via USB into the T1.

Did you disable the onboard sound from the BIOS? I usually choose the USB DAC as my primary playback device and have the onboard mic as the primary recording device. Hope that works for you...

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #4,318 of 8,309

Did you disable the onboard sound from the BIOS? I usually choose the USB DAC as my primary playback device and have the onboard mic as the primary recording device. Hope that works for you...

That's exactly what I was planning to do. But I second guessed myself since I kept reading suggestion after suggestion to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

I guess I got too worried since I dropped some decent coin only to have come up with a scenario where I could have shot myself in the foot. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #4,319 of 8,309

That's exactly what I was planning to do. But I second guessed myself since I kept reading suggestion after suggestion to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

I guess I got too worried since I dropped some decent coin only to have come up with a scenario where I could have shot myself in the foot. 
I don't think you got the suggestion to disable your onboard from us. I did a quick search and you're the only one to have brought it up. But yeah, the only reason to disable the onboard is if you're installing another internal sound card. Otherwise, just leave it alone and follow caracara and pat1984's recommendation of pluging into the onboard's mic. Welcome to HF and sorry about your wallet. :wink:

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #4,320 of 8,309
Just an FYI...No need to disable onboard sound - it is irrelavant

When you plug your AUNE in to USB, Windows detects it as a USB Audio Device for PLAYBACK. Not recording. It disables (or takes priority) over sound OUT.

So if you plug your mic into the normal INPUT jack of your PC, it will be the RECORDING DEVICE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back