Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 19, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #4,276 of 8,309
Went ahead and ordered 4x 470uF 25V ELNA Silmic II + 2x 47uF 50V ELNA Silmic II capacitors. Should be arriving at the beginning of next month. Those tiny things are expensive ;S Hope they are worth it and will smoothen sound and make mids lively.

Atm mids haven`t "returned" yet with Panasonic FM + FR + AM caps but bass has gone better & tighter. My stock 6922EH tube also sounds littlebit tighter. Still hoping mids to step up a notch. Those caps still have 6 days to live before I`ll cut off their legs ;D

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #4,279 of 8,309
What would be a good cheap tube amp ($130) to go with the Aune T1 Tube DAC? I'm primarily looking into the Little Dot I+ for the tube rolling feature and better build quality compared to the Bravo Tube Amp.

I primarily have low impedance headphones under 70ohms and don't plan on getting anything over that. I have/plan to get: Q701, Pro DJ100, Momentums, SR225i, HE400. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #4,282 of 8,309
  Tube rolling would be a problem with the Vali. I'm not sure, but think that one may be soldered in.

I thought nah just unscrew but:
Quote:
  Yep, $99. It may have to go up, since we're going to be doing a bit more work to match tubes (handling the flying leads is a pain in the ass, we need to build a test fixture) and some damping of microphonics. But even then, we're talking $119.
It'll never be as quiet as Magni, though...these tubes would never work in, say, a phono preamp or other low-noise application. But they work very well here. Surprisingly well for something that started as a "what if?" project. It would have never come to market if it didn't sound good. We have a number of projects like that--failed concepts. Ah, well.
We'll be posting the Vali on the website when it is available, which should be about 2-3 weeks.
For some tech details, Vali is a hybrid, using 6088 pencil tubes, triode-strapped, with a discrete bipolar follower stage that is somewhat related to the Magni's output stage. It is DC-coupled to the follower through a bipolar phase inverter and level shifter. The tubes run on a regulated 60V rail, which is fine for a tube rated for a maximum anode voltage of 67.5V. The bipolar part operates on a 27V rail. Its rated output will be about half that of the Magni.
Downsides? The microphonics (mentioned, and we'll be VERY clear about it in the FAQ) and no rolling. The tubes are soldered into the board, since their expected lifespan is in the 15-20k hour range, and it's what Raytheon recommended back in the day. Plus, even if you swapped in another tube, the rather unique operating range for these tubes means it probably wouldn't work.
And that's about all the engineer-speak for today. I have to get back to prepping at RMAF (a real, cosmetic Vali will be at RMAF, as well as a Ragnarok proto) and back to finalizing our facilities move. We're leaving our 1800sf place in Newhall for a proper industrial location in Valencia that is 5200sf, so we have some room to grow.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #4,283 of 8,309
Jan 20, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #4,284 of 8,309
Hi guys..Currently I'm looking for an entry level tube amp to pair with my ATH-M50 and HD650 (in the future).
Do you guys recommend this tube amp for those cans? Which one suited better between Aune T1, Bravo V2, or GoVibe Volante?
Other tube amp recommendation within same price range is highly welcomed :D

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4,285 of 8,309
Been thinking about picking up the Aune T1, and noticing how many online sellers are hawking them at rock-bottom prices. Many sellers are the type that pick up odd items at wholesale discount. So it looks like Aune is literally dumping these on the market, and have no control over most of their retailer. 

One of the sellers I'm considering is less than 100 miles from me, with free shipping, but they seem specialize in Keurig coffee cartridges.

At the bottom of this, I wonder about quality issues, and of course the iffy-to-nonexistent support if one of these bargain-basement T1s is DOA or goes bad after a little use.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4,286 of 8,309
  Hi guys..Currently I'm looking for an entry level tube amp to pair with my ATH-M50 and HD650 (in the future).
Do you guys recommend this tube amp for those cans? Which one suited better between Aune T1, Bravo V2, or GoVibe Volante?
Other tube amp recommendation within same price range is highly welcomed :D

Aune T1 is tube DAC, not tube amp. Change to Amperex OG tube and no more bright issue.

Bravo V2 is just an amp. Better amp than Aune T1 IMO.

I tested Xduoo TA-01, a tube amp with DAC. The DAC sucks, but the amp really good.

Not sure if Aune T1 can drive HD 650 well or not. But Bravo Ocean can drive HD 650 according to my friend. V2 and Ocean is the same amp, just few different in design. So I will say V2 will drive HD 650 just like Ocean too.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #4,288 of 8,309
Why are tubes coated at the top is the chrome-looking metal?

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #4,289 of 8,309
Just FYI ..my tube impressions list has been update - new tubes and Mullard updated from 3 to 4 stars after break in

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #4,290 of 8,309

Aune T1 is tube DAC, not tube amp. Change to Amperex OG tube and no more bright issue.

Bravo V2 is just an amp. Better amp than Aune T1 IMO.

I tested Xduoo TA-01, a tube amp with DAC. The DAC sucks, but the amp really good.

Not sure if Aune T1 can drive HD 650 well or not. But Bravo Ocean can drive HD 650 according to my friend. V2 and Ocean is the same amp, just few different in design. So I will say V2 will drive HD 650 just like Ocean too.

I have the Aune T1 and the Bravo V2 (unmodified) which I drive with a Stoner Acoustics UD110 DAC. Hard to say which one I like best, if pressed I would pick the T1. total cost of both is within $10. The T1 is a trimmer package, the separate UD110 DAC and Bravo V2 amp are a bit more versatile. I have Amperex Orange Globe  tubes for both (they use different tubes), I would say they are my preferred tube so far.

They both sound awesome to my mostly untutored ears. I usually listen with my Beyer DT770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back