Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4,321 of 8,309

Now before everyone throws the recapping under the bus, think about this. You can "roll" different brands of caps in there and change the sound just like you can with tubes....just takes a bit more work. 

Coil used totally different caps than I did, and got a different result. Specs are not everything.

And the end result on my Aune is I only change the secondary supply caps, and put the originals back in elsewhere. It would take someone at your skill level maybe 15 minutes to swap them out and give it a shot. If you don't like it, swap the others back in. 

Yes, confirmed, capacitor specs are not everything. Although those Panasonic FM & FR & AM have very high specs, they do not "sound" so good (subjective) as stock caps, although transparency, imaging and soundstage improved littlebit (for EDM these caps are actually pretty good). Had to learn it my own in "hard way". But this modding and fiddling with Aune T1 is fun for me :wink: I`m already searching info and asking some electricians how to get dB-meter for each channel installed ;D I want to build wooden custom case and thought about having nice illuminated analog dB meters too ;P

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,322 of 8,309
I recently purchased the HE-400 last night from the locals for $260CDN, wanted a set of open backed cans for home use.  I notice that it needs a bit of amping compared to my Logitech UE6000s - and that while the bass is good, it doesnt move me like the UE6000s.  Theyre different beasts for sure, as the UEs are closed back and the NC greatly changes the response to a more smiley curve.

Does the Aune T1 come with a bass boost? or will it "color" the sound enough that the HE400 will have a tiny bit more kick to it? I noticed the UEs were a bit more...visceral while playing action games (BF4) but the HE400 unamped still provided better clarity. 

Both are good though, i have to test drive the HE400s a bit more though..i thought it would blow my pants off, but maybe it just needs a decent dac/amp. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4,323 of 8,309
Okay ...LWRS has me on go
Coil has me on wait

LOL...

I have Nichicons and Panasonics so I may just give it a whirl. I can always change them back.

The nikis
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWIGW36/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The panasonics

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261073769025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4,324 of 8,309
I have "same" Panasonic FM`s (except they are 470uF) at place of secondary power supply and headphone rail voltage. Your Aune T1 caps "upgrade" outcome might probably be the same as with my unit - littlebit brighter & less mids/mid-lows. But then again, your setup is different and might sound great for you.

I would change only main power supply caps (if you have those Lelons) against Nichicons.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #4,325 of 8,309
  I have "same" Panasonic FM`s (except they are 470uF) at place of secondary power supply and headphone rail voltage. Your Aune T1 caps "upgrade" outcome might probably be the same as with my unit - littlebit brighter & less mids/mid-lows. But then again, your setup is different and might sound great for you.

I would change only main power supply caps (if you have those Lelons) against Nichicons.

Okay...now my head is spinning/do/don't..LOL

I do not want to lose the mids I have come to love...maybe as you say, I will just change the Lelons...

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #4,326 of 8,309
  I recently purchased the HE-400 last night from the locals for $260CDN, wanted a set of open backed cans for home use.  I notice that it needs a bit of amping compared to my Logitech UE6000s - and that while the bass is good, it doesnt move me like the UE6000s.  Theyre different beasts for sure, as the UEs are closed back and the NC greatly changes the response to a more smiley curve.

Does the Aune T1 come with a bass boost? or will it "color" the sound enough that the HE400 will have a tiny bit more kick to it? I noticed the UEs were a bit more...visceral while playing action games (BF4) but the HE400 unamped still provided better clarity. 

Both are good though, i have to test drive the HE400s a bit more though..i thought it would blow my pants off, but maybe it just needs a decent dac/amp. 

Firstly, you got a great deal on the HE-400 :) I have HE-400 and UE 9000s and the HE-400 is really in a different class. I bought the Aune T1 but later replaced it with a combo of the HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC and a garage1217 starlight Amp. Aune T1 does not have a bass boost but try increasing the gain, it might help. If not you can always choose another tube which will definitely help in your case.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4,327 of 8,309

Okay...now my head is spinning/do/don't..LOL

I do not want to lose the mids I have come to love...maybe as you say, I will just change the Lelons...

Wait, I though only spacequeen7 had Lelons? Your unit also? Here is my updated caps post if you missed some information: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/4005#post_10144586

But yeah, I would change only main power supply caps because those secondary supply caps (or maybe even main ones) seem to affect both RCA out and jack out sound in same way.
Changing headphone amp board caps don`t seem to make much difference and those should not affect RCA out sound, so, only secondary & main power supply caps seem to have most influence.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #4,328 of 8,309

Wait, I though only spacequeen7 had Lelons? Your unit also? Here is my updated caps post if you missed some information: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/4005#post_10144586

But yeah, I would change only main power supply caps because those secondary supply caps (or maybe even main ones) seem to affect both RCA out and jack out sound in same way.
Changing headphone amp board caps don`t seem to make much difference and those should not affect RCA out sound, so, only secondary & main power supply caps seem to have most influence.

Nope...I have Lelons and purple whatevers...will change both...

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #4,329 of 8,309
I just picked this up on Ebay for $144 (Shipped from in the US) to go with my new SoundMAGIC HP100s and I will mainly be using it at my desk in combination with my Creative ZXR.  I will just use the Line In option from the headphone out I'm assuming. 

I do have a few questions for current owners of this DAC/Amp:

1. How much difference does changing the tubes make?  I am looking at a NOS Amperex, but wondering if the tube really changes the signature that much.

2. How portable is this?

3. If I did take this to the office, I could plug it in USB and use the on-board DAC correct?  Is there a driver disc or do you have to download drivers I'm assuming?

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,330 of 8,309
  I just picked this up on Ebay for $144 (Shipped from in the US) to go with my new SoundMAGIC HP100s and I will mainly be using it at my desk in combination with my Creative ZXR.  I will just use the Line In option from the headphone out I'm assuming. 

I do have a few questions for current owners of this DAC/Amp:

1. How much difference does changing the tubes make?  I am looking at a NOS Amperex, but wondering if the tube really changes the signature that much.

2. How portable is this?

3. If I did take this to the office, I could plug it in USB and use the on-board DAC correct?  Is there a driver disc or do you have to download drivers I'm assuming?

Okay, answers
1) A lot depending on the tube and your listening taste - Tube only is in play with USB In...Just FYI
2) Umm...it has a brick for the power supply 1/2 the size of the DAC (which is good) but as to portability, very.
3) Yes on USB, no driver required for Win7 or 8..plug and play. If you own an Apple product, I take back all my answers...LOL (I work for MSFT)

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #4,331 of 8,309
What tube type do yall recommend?  I've been looking at E88CC's

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #4,332 of 8,309

I found the biggest difference was changing those secondary caps....for the better.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4,333 of 8,309
I ended up grabbing an Amperex E88CC "High Fidelity Version 6DJ8" for $44.95, although it is an RCA label.  I am biased to USA NOS tubes after testing many types in guitar amps and I believe this may be a winner.  Great test results and even the etching is top quality for a tube 30+ years old.

Tested this on a High Quality Professonal Hickok 539C: 21,000 & 20,000

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #4,334 of 8,309
So this arrived today..works awesome and will save my AUNE socket. Now, I paid a little more (okay maybe triple) the cost of a normal socket saver, but sometimes if you are going to put anything in your signal chain, you want to be sure it is of good quality. Not doing so would be like putting $10 RCA's on a $2000 Turntable.

~~This Plug & Play, 9-pin B9A NOVAL NOVIB Socket Saver©with Vibration Reduction Base, and Gold Plated Pins on the socket end is a perfect solution. Anti-vibration Base* is filled with silicone to reduce microphonics. Tube pins are exact size of a typical NOS Philips tube for snug fit, unlike cheap Chinese bases with thinner pins that wobble in the sockets. Engineered in-house and precision manufactured for us with high quality materials overseas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back