Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 18, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #4,262 of 8,309
Doing some tube testing tonight.....

upazesa8.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Are those REALLY cool mono blocks or just twin stereo amps ? SA WEET

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #4,263 of 8,309

Okay, made my order on caps:

1. Main power supply caps: http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufr1e332/capacitor-radial-25v-3300uf/dp/1800661
2. Secondary power supply caps & headphone amp rail voltage caps: http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufm1v471/cap-alu-elect-470uf-35v-can/dp/1219475
3. Headphone coupling caps. For this I couldn`t decide (because AM series lacks some datasheet information to compare) and took both:
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eca1ham470x/capacitor-47uf-50v/dp/8767408 and http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufr1h470/capacitor-radial-50v-47uf/dp/2217571

Went through lot of options and data comparing. I ended up with all caps being Panasonic - they had best specs from options available to me (and there were quite a lot of them). Always had good experience with Panasonic products & quality :wink:

Hope these do better than stock caps! Have to wait about 2 week for them to arrive.

Finished re-capping:

Got to let it burn in. First initial impression - soundstage, separation & clarity improved littlebit but bass/midbass & dynamics might have gone littlebit worse. Hope things will smoothen out and improve with burning. Me thinking about swappable cap sockets ;D

Let it burn overnight and no change in sound yet, hasn`t got better. Although soundstage, separation & clarity seem to be improved littlebit, I`m thinking it`s mostly from "missing" low-mids and bass. Everything sounds brighter, vocals not so warm & smooth as before and it`s harder to make difference between tubes. Honestly, I`m thinking about switching back to stock caps but will still give it a week to get better. Before switching back to stock caps (if things won`t get better), I`m going to try Panasonic FR series hp coupling caps and see if it makes any difference. Next would be changing secondary power supply caps back to stock. Btw, latter seem to be Panasonic FC series caps by markings and size but only thing that refers to being fake is color of sleeve (purple) - Panasonic FC series should be only with black sleeve according to 2013 catalog. If that won`t change anything, then going all the way back to stock caps and maybe will try nichicon+elna caps in future when I get them from headfi shop.

Atm my recommendation is NOT to change caps if you like how your Aune T1 sounds and there`s nothing wrong with it.

Edit:

It seems that those secondary power supply caps that I had as stock really are legit Panasonic FC series
because even headfi shop sells them in purple sleeve: http://www.headfishop.com/10pcs-panasonic-fc-470uf-25v-cap-hifi-audio-electrolytic-capacitor_p1478.html

My opinion about those stock caps my unit has - Well, I couldn`t identify main power supply caps being legit because I couldn`t find this sized RJB series cap (3300uF 25V, 18x21,5mm) in ELNA 2013 catalog but that`s similar case Panasonic FC series not being purple. Maybe they are from older batch (older catalog) or different factory, special size for OEM etc. Call it gut feeling or whatever but I think all the caps in my unit are legit.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #4,265 of 8,309

Let it burn overnight and no change in sound yet, hasn`t got better. Although soundstage, separation & clarity seem to be improved littlebit, I`m thinking it`s mostly from "missing" low-mids and bass. Everything sounds brighter, vocals not so warm & smooth as before and it`s harder to make difference between tubes. Honestly, I`m thinking about switching back to stock caps but will still give it a week to get better. Before switching back to stock caps (if things won`t get better), I`m going to try Panasonic FR series hp coupling caps and see if it makes any difference. Next would be changing secondary power supply caps back to stock. Btw, latter seem to be Panasonic FC series caps by markings and size but only thing that refers to being fake is color of sleeve (purple) - Panasonic FC series should be only with black sleeve according to 2013 catalog. If that won`t change anything, then going all the way back to stock caps and maybe will try nichicon+elna caps in future when I get them from headfi shop.

Atm my recommendation is NOT to change caps if you like how your Aune T1 sounds and there`s nothing wrong with it.

Edit:

It seems that those secondary power supply caps that I had as stock really are legit Panasonic FC series
because even headfi shop sells them in purple sleeve: http://www.headfishop.com/10pcs-panasonic-fc-470uf-25v-cap-hifi-audio-electrolytic-capacitor_p1478.html

My opinion about those stock caps my unit has - Well, I couldn`t identify main power supply caps being legit because I couldn`t find this sized RJB series cap (3300uF 25V, 18x21,5mm) in ELNA 2013 catalog but that`s similar case Panasonic FC series not being purple. Maybe they are from older batch (older catalog) or different factory, special size for OEM etc. Call it gut feeling or whatever but I think all the caps in my unit are legit.

Change the headphone board back to the stock caps. Just leave the power supply ones in there. That was my final best sound combination.

And you can call it whatever you want, but those purple caps failed simple test. Mine had failed and thats why there was such a dramatic change in sound. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4,267 of 8,309
  And you can call it whatever you want, but those purple caps failed simple test. Mine had failed and thats why there was such a dramatic change in sound. 

Your purple caps have different value also. Looking at your pics, they are not Panasonic FC series.

Edit: Forgot to say, those caps been burning all the time from installation now and bass has turned better by now but mid-low section seem to be different (littlebit laid back) from stock caps. But soundstage, transparency & imaging seem to be littlebit better, very easy to listen certain details with different tubes. I`ll let it burn-in for 1 week and if mids haven`t "come back" then I`ll switch back some caps. Btw, this change in sound doesn`t go only for headphone but external speakers too, so I`m thinking that maybe this change comes from main or secondary power supply caps (you said it made most difference).

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,268 of 8,309
Jan 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #4,269 of 8,309
another thing, there are different labeled rockets out there and if I recall correctly, someone had those different labeled in here and they sounded slightly different. The one with smaller rocket logo and without large star logo was better as I remember (with larger soundstage).

Btw, updated fake/bad/different caps post. Little summary:
  1) There are 2 different value secondary power supply caps - 470uF 25V or 330uF 35V.
220V UK version seems to have 470uF 25V caps (RG review unit and my unit, both UK version with 220V 15V-0-15V power supply).
110V US version seems to have 330uF 35V caps.

2) There are 2 different brand secondary power supply caps - Nichicon (RG review unit) and purple sleeve no-name that seems to be Panasonic FC series (users: lwrs10, arcorob, spacequeen7, CoiL).
470uF 25V caps seem to be Panasonic FC series caps (should be good quality and meant for audio).

3) There are 2 different brand main power supply caps. Most units seem to have ELNA RJB series 3300uF 25V (18x21,5mm) caps but user Spacequeen7 has different Lelon labeled caps.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4,270 of 8,309
Check out the thread starter, the Voskhod is a popular tube, depending on your taste. I find it to be too " up front" with a narrow soundstage, at least for the classical, jazz and classic rock that I listen to. Others love it. Use the thread search, you will find many comments.

is my link the same tub referenced in the first post?

is it a reputable seller?

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #4,271 of 8,309
A quick question - When anyone on the list got your T1, were the switches set at 0db or 16db? I don't know if there is a universal way they ship these or not. Mine were set to 16db. Since I had mentioned in my review that the tube socket is not level I'm starting to wonder if they sent me a used unit (it was sold as new) or someone may have been playing around with the units at the factory, distributers, etc. Thanks.

Ben

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4,272 of 8,309
Doing some tube testing tonight.....

upazesa8.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

I'm more interested about those beer bottles in the background. Any Great Divide brews there :D

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #4,274 of 8,309
Holy cow. That is the polite way to say it. Received a GE 6DJ8 USA made date 65-48 - Simply beautiful sound. Tests new and blows away the EUR made competition (thus far) Still have a black plate on the way. I am always impressed when a tube makes an immediate impression. Articulate and detailed highs. Forward and velvety mids. Bass sound real (the bass guitar and kick drum are right there like a live band). Not a trace of fatigue on the top or boom on the bottom. For $20 I could not ask for more.

Taking a snapshot from Coils book, I am re-assessing the tubes after giving significant burn in. I am keeping a log and will re-write the assessments after at least 50 to 100 hours. I found that adding hours to some excellent Mullard's changed their sound from so so to very nice...Usually I can tell where a tube is going (prior experience with tube families) but seems like this family has room to change pretty drastically.

Tube list and picture of the sweet GE

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #4,275 of 8,309
Presented - The Mullard factory

The movie is old and a bit long (33 minutes) but watching this (especially after the first 3 minutes) shows why old stock tubes are so much better - It was a golden age of a high demand product versus today where its limited, more specialized and less competition. The processes that were built to make millions upon millions of tubes...amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDvF89Bh27Y&feature=player_detailpage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back