Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3,721 of 8,309

Then Amperex 6GM8 should be bliss to you! I hope you won`t be disappointed :wink: Just a note, if you haven`t used to analytical listening to detect differences in tubes then it might not be SO large difference as you imagined but 6GM8 is easy to "notice", in good way imho.

Hmm..I would not worry about my critical listening skills or ability to detect subtle differences. Its all good. Speaking of all good

what can you tell me about the tube in the left 6GM8 ECC86 Amperex Made in Holland with the A frame..thanks !

Is it the 6GM8 you bought (earlier pic) or some other candidate? No idea or info about this tube from me. This is the first Amperex 6GM8 with A-Frame I`ve come across so far.
But like mhamel said it should be tube from 70`s or later since ealrier Heerlen tubes had mainly o-ring getter or dimpled disc getter with single support leg (made only in short period between o-ring and a-frame).

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #3,722 of 8,309
No worries...we understand

End Loop (lol)

In answer to your repetitive question, no its not the one I bought, it was one I was looking at for $27

Hope that answers all of your questions - hahahahahahahaha

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #3,723 of 8,309
my tube hunting is about to end , bidding on E188CC Mullard Gold Pin is pending 
here is short list of my collection (will do short review of all the tubes soon )

last one I just purchased 
NOS SIEMENS E88CC 6922 PLATINUM TUBE for RODE K2 MIC
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230899823502&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

NOS Russian military 6N1P-EV (6H1-EB) -don't buy it !
6N23P-EV / E88CC / 6DJ8 / 6922 NOS (double support A-Frame )
E88CC / ECC88 / 6DJ8 / ROCKET 6N23P / 2 NEW NOS 1986
2x 6N27P / ECC86 / 6GM8 Tubes NOS 1969 (double support/wire)
1962 Vintage Amperex 6922 E88cc Hewlett Packard Audio Tube Gold Pin
Genalex Gold Lion 6922 Gold Pin tube
E88CC/CCa Valvo Red Logo 1964 Gold Pin
E88CC MINIWATT SQ. BIG ROUND GETTER Gold Pin

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3,724 of 8,309
2x 6N27P / ECC86 / 6GM8 Tubes NOS 1969 (double support/wire)

Looking foward to impressions about those. Others don`t seem appealing to me (price!). Hope your tube buying has reached to end! :wink:
Mine still going. Not that I haven`t found what I want, I have, but it`s just addictive! ;D ....aaahhhhh grrrrhmmmm -.-

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3,725 of 8,309
  Looking foward to impressions about those. Others don`t seem appealing to me (price!). Hope your tube buying has reached to end! :wink:
Mine still going. Not that I haven`t found what I want, I have, but it`s just addictive! ;D ....aaahhhhh grrrrhmmmm -.-

I don't think it's about price at this point ..you can have 50 tubes on the cheap (Driver Grade-suitable for the output buffer stage of a DAC or CD Player) or 5 top notch (Gold/Platinum grade- Low noise and microphonics-preamp tube) I choose the second 

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #3,726 of 8,309
I too have joined the T1 club and I've been looking to upgrade from the stock 6N11 tube. And like many, I'm also new to the HeadFi community and to tubes, but it's been fun so far.

It appears I may need to try a few tubes to find what I like and I'm looking at a 6DJ8 Amperex white label and maybe something else. EH 6922 gold pin? Rocket logo 6H23? Recommendations or thoughts?

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,727 of 8,309
  I too have joined the T1 club and I've been looking to upgrade from the stock 6N11 tube. And like many, I'm also new to the HeadFi community and to tubes, but it's been fun so far.

It appears I may need to try a few tubes to find what I like and I'm looking at a 6DJ8 Amperex white label and maybe something else. EH 6922 gold pin? Rocket logo 6H23? Recommendations or thoughts?

The majority of this thread is about tubes people suggest or have tried in the T1.   You don't need to read the entire thread, but please check the FAQ on Page 1 and read through at least some of the thread, which show you many tube suggestions.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #3,728 of 8,309

I don't think it's about price at this point ..you can have 50 tubes on the cheap (Driver Grade-suitable for the output buffer stage of a DAC or CD Player) or 5 top notch (Gold/Platinum grade- Low noise and microphonics-preamp tube) I choose the second 

For what it counts... my thoughts about this "Gold/Platinum grade- Low noise and microphonics-preamp tube" staff.
Maybe I read it all out wrong way but seems that you are trying to say that 50 cheap tubes "(Driver Grade-suitable for the output buffer stage of a DAC or CD Player)" are somehow less good than few well known high-grade tubes. Well, firstly, in case of Aune T1, those "(Gold/Platinum grade- Low noise and microphonics-preamp tube)" are acting same way - "suitable for the output buffer stage of a DAC" because that`s what Aune T1 is - an tube buffered output stage SS DAC, so in that point, there`s no difference. Imho, this "low-noise & microphonics" is irrelevant in this buffer stage.
Have no issues with my cheap tubes collection in that part. There are 1 or 2 tubes that are making slight "hum or hiss" when nothing is played and volume is turned to max but again, it`s irrelevant when music is playing, you just can`t hear it and you certainly won`t listen @ max level. And if someone does, then he/she has probably already damaged hearing and won`t hear it anyway.
From my point of view I would certainly prefer hunting low priced tubes than buying 1 or 5 super-duper-hyped-high-grade-cryo-treated-gold-pin-tube. Not saying they are bad but you can never
rely that it will suit to your hearing or cans or music or taste. Of course they have greater audio imaging, separation etc. than most of tubes ...but ...for example, I have this Amperex 6GM8/ECC86 and it is just awesome "holographic" sounding tube, but - does it fit for every genre I listen? No actually. Most of the time I still prefer Amperex OG 6DJ8 steel pin for progressive metal/rock/jazz (which is actually preferred by many over gold pin high-grade tubes depending on gear being used, music genre etc.), because it brings guitar riffs more into "play" and has better "front of stage" imaging and it is slightly better fit for my cans & tames Aune T1 bright sounding amp part also. Like I told there are many nuances that come into play and thinking that "I will buy gold pin high-grade tube and everything is up to its best" may not work (and probably won`t for many). Another example... many prefer "old sounding", intimate, warm, grainy etc. tubes with old rock/acoustic or other more specific tastes or genres - you just can`t have it with "holographic" sounding tube - as awesome as it might be. I have 4 or 5 of these intimate, warm etc. tubes that sound great with old rock etc. but it just isn`t for my taste and I don`t listen much this kind of music but those tubes are certainly worth having.
I think for ppl that listen very many different genres it is much better to hunt cheaper tubes, read impressions and find good match for they setup than buying 1 "top-notch" tube (for different reasons and nuances I just told about). They can get them cheap, have fun with large variety of tube types in area that is largely undiscovered PCC189/PCC88/ECC189/6GM8/PCC85 etc. 
Like I told, I have already found my favorite tubes for different genres. It`s just interesting and fun to explore and also invest into some rare tubes that might be even more expensive in the future
than those gold-pin high-grade tubes.
For the end of my 5 cents...

Everything that glows isn`t gold ! (I mean gold pins & high price in this context).

Have fun with you high-grade tubes and hope you like them. Still looking foward to 6N27P impressions :wink: Over and out!

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3,729 of 8,309
Speaking of Gold...I scored some !!!

So the Amperex 6GM8 ECC86 I purchased for $14.99 ? Is the Globe version Coil talks about and it does sound sweet !!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251410395162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'll also be testing the GE I bought that arrived also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331081350448?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The Amperex

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #3,730 of 8,309
Glad you like it! Does it sound "holographic" compared to other tubes you have or not? Just asking because maybe I have gone nuts with all this tube hoarding and lost my credibility ;D

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #3,731 of 8,309

Everything that glows isn`t gold ! (I mean gold pins & high price in this context).

^^ This.   Well said.

One of the nice things about rolling into the T1 is that because the tube buffer has no gain, it doesn't need ultra low noise, low microphonic tubes.   "Driver grade" tubes work just fine, and have the same sound characteristics as their more expensive, lower-noise counterparts.

Another thing to keep in mind.   The "magic" that some people like to talk about with certain tubes has pretty much everything to do with the chemistry and metallurgy involved at a particular plant, during a particular period.   The 6DJ8 family wasn't designed for use in audio.   It was designed for use as a signal amplifier in VHF and UHF tuner circuits.   It just happens to be that the 6DJ8, some of it's predecessors and related/similar dual triodes work well for audio.   It only stands to reason that other similar tubes built in the same plant, at the same time - using the same materials, batches of chemicals/coatings, can and most likely will have similar sound characteristics.    Just one of many examples - I've got some late 50s D-getter ECC189s that in the right circuit sound every bit as good as their 6DJ8/6922 counterparts, produced in the same plant/timeframe.  Yes I've compared them directly.  You do not necessarily have to spend top dollar to get outstanding sound.   The audiophile world has this perception that if it costs 10x more it must be that much better.   There's far too much listening with the wallet instead of the ears, imho.

For many, half the fun of tube rolling is also in the journey.  Finding new tubes, experiencing the difference in sound, learning what sounds best to you... not just what someone else's subjective opinion may be.    That's not to say that going out and buying a few high-dollar popular recommended tubes isn't a valid way to go... to each the own.  Just don't discount other paths people take.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3,732 of 8,309
  For what it counts... my thoughts about this "Gold/Platinum grade- Low noise and microphonics-preamp tube" staff.
Meybe I read it all out wrong way but seems that you are trying to say that 50 cheap tubes "(Driver Grade-suitable for the output buffer stage of a DAC or CD Player)" are somehow less good than few well known high-grade tubes. Well, firstly, in case of Aune T1, those "(Gold/Platinum grade- Low noise and microphonics-preamp tube)" are acting same way - "suitable for the output buffer stage of a DAC" because that`s what Aune T1 is - an tube buffered output stage SS DAC, so in that point, there`s no difference. Imho, this "low-noise & microphonics" is irrelevant in this buffer stage.
Have no issues with my cheap tubes collection in that part. There are 1 or 2 tubes that are making slight "hum or hiss" when nothing is played and volume is turned to max but again, it`s irrelevant when music is playing, you just can`t hear it and you certainly won`t listen @ max level. And if someone does, then he/she has probably already damaged hearing and won`t hear it anyway.
From my point of view I would certainly prefer hunting low priced tubes than buying 1 or 5 super-duper-hyped-high-grade-cryo-treated-gold-pin-tube. Not saying they are bad but you can never
rely that it will suit to your hearing or cans or music or taste. Of course they have greater audio imaging, separation etc. than most of tubes ...but ...for example, I have this Amperex 6GM8/ECC86 and it is just awesome "holographic" sounding tube, but - does it fit for every genre I listen? No actually. Most of the time I still prefer Amperex OG 6DJ8 steel pin for progressive metal/rock/jazz (which is actually preferred by many over gold pin high-grade tubes depending on gear being used, music genre etc.), because it brings guitar riffs more into "play" and has better "front of stage" imaging and it is slightly better fit for my cans & tames Aune T1 bright sounding amp part also. Like I told there are many nuances that come into play and thinking that "I will buy gold pin high-grate tube and everything is up to its best" may not work (and probably won`t for many). Another example... many prefer "old sounding", intimate, warm, grainy etc. tubes with old rock/acoustic or other more specific tastes or genres - you just can`t have it with "holographic" sounding tube - as awesome as it might be. I have 4 or 5 of these intimate, warm etc. tubes that sound great with old rock etc. but it just isn`t for my taste and I don`t listen much this kind of music but those tubes are certainly worth having.
I think for ppl that listen very many different genres it is much better to hunt cheaper tubes, read impressions and find good match for they setup than buying 1 "top-notch" tube (for different reasons and nuances I just told about). They can get them cheap, have fun with large variety of tube types in area that is largely undiscovered PCC189/PCC88/ECC189/6GM8/PCC85 etc. 
Like I told, I have already found my favorite tubes for different genres. It`s just interesting and fun to explore and also invest into some rare tubes that might be even more expensive in the future
than those gold-pin high-grade tubes.
For the end of my 5 cents...

Have fun with you high-grade tubes and hope you like them. Still looking foward to 6N27P impressions :wink: Over and out!

I think you got this a bit twisted ..I'm trying to acquire tubes that will be great in not just Aune T1 which is in fact buffer stage DAC ,I plan to upgrade to true tube amp and that's when the "gold/platinum grade will become a factor ,on the other hand it's investment as you already mention in previous post ,if I want to get steel pin Amperex 6DJ8 for about $20 it would take me 5 min flat to find one but I will pretty much end up using it only on T1,I truly believe steal pin sound "sandy/grainy" on T1 ..could be just me and the headphones I'm using  
Talking about "progressive metal/rock/jazz" I think I just found what you would like

this the best Russian tube I own ,I was very surprised how it sound it (pretty good for Heavy metal ,classic rock ,etc ....but little "sandy" ) 

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #3,733 of 8,309
I have that russian 6N23P Reflector and I personally don`t like it. For me it isn`t grainy but it has like "through the blanket" sound, it`s quite intimate and warm, with smaller than average soundstage. And the one I have is bought from Mike @ Rockgrotto, it`s tested and with very good measurements for what it counts.
I certainly prefer my Amperex OG 6DJ8 GAC and Ultron SQ PCC189 over it. Also Siemens PCC88 & PCC189. Actually it`s one of my least favorite (not worst) tubes.

And for the part of "upgrading to ture tube amp" then my point stays pretty much same - everything that glows isn`t gold :wink:

Edit: sorry, I have different 6N23P - non EB version, so my comment doesn`t apply to your impressions.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3,734 of 8,309
  Glad you like it! Does it sound "holographic" compared to other tubes you have or not? Just asking because maybe I have gone nuts with all this tube hoarding and lost my credibility ;D

Yes, it does...Some other notes..Much deeper bass..clear but powerful and that fatiguing high is no longer there. The highs are detailed without be rolled off. Voices are awesome. Soundstage is wide and more important deep positionally.

I have to comment though on what I perceive as "negative thinking" (not by you Coil..just using the same reply..lol)

Its one thing to say one is just as pleased with cheap tubes, its another to make the claim that people pay premium prices because there is an expectation that the tube is x times better sounding than y. Nothing in audio works that way.

It is very true that these tubes were never designed for use in audio they nonetheless were discovered to be quite musical due to inherent build characteristics. what often drives the price is not only the sound but scarcity of the product. So the price differential is not linear. A $10 driver grade tube may sound fine, but like any audiophile hobby, someone may be willing to pay 10x that amount to get a scarcer tube that that sounds only 5% better. No one expects it to sound 10x better.

So for those unwilling to spend that, there are the $10 tubes, but don't make the statement that it is good enough for all. It is good enough for you and that's all you can speak to, For many, the Aune is a cheap toy. They spend more on the USB cable than we spend on the AUNE.

Having been through dozens of tubes in another family - I know unequivocally that each tube is unique and that uniqueness coupled with its availability drive the price and what the market will bear.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,735 of 8,309

^^ This.   Well said.

One of the nice things about rolling into the T1 is that because the tube buffer has no gain, it doesn't need ultra low noise, low microphonic tubes.   "Driver grade" tubes work just fine, and have the same sound characteristics as their more expensive, lower-noise counterparts.

Another thing to keep in mind.   The "magic" that some people like to talk about with certain tubes has pretty much everything to do with the chemistry and metallurgy involved at a particular plant, during a particular period.   The 6DJ8 family wasn't designed for use in audio.   It was designed for use as a signal amplifier in VHF and UHF tuner circuits.   It just happens to be that the 6DJ8, some of it's predecessors and related/similar dual triodes work well for audio.   It only stands to reason that other similar tubes built in the same plant, at the same time - using the same materials, batches of chemicals/coatings, can and most likely will have similar sound characteristics.    Just one of many examples - I've got some late 50s D-getter ECC189s that in the right circuit sound every bit as good as their 6DJ8/6922 counterparts, produced in the same plant/timeframe.  Yes I've compared them directly.  You do not necessarily have to spend top dollar to get outstanding sound.   The audiophile world has this perception that if it costs 10x more it must be that much better.   There's far too much listening with the wallet instead of the ears, imho.

For many, half the fun of tube rolling is also in the journey.  Finding new tubes, experiencing the difference in sound, learning what sounds best to you... not just what someone else's subjective opinion may be.    That's not to say that going out and buying a few high-dollar popular recommended tubes isn't a valid way to go... to each the own.  Just don't discount other paths people take.

Thanks for this, it's actually very helpful. I have been reading through this thread when I have time, amongst others, but I'm just going to find a fairly inexpensive tube and give it a go. It's ultimately subjective and I'll find what my ears enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back