Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3,691 of 8,309
One Ei PCC189 incoming soon! For 6$ it`s bargain anyway, bad tube or not (I belive it`s good, especially if it`s Heerlen Philips). Anyway nice addition to my tube madness :)
Atm I feel there are 3 tubes that I still want to get. JJ E88CC goldpin, 6n27p or rocket 6n23p and one J**** tube :wink:
Of course would like to get 7308 but... my rational thinking kicks in and don`t want to spend that money on single tube. I already have "holographic" sounding Amperex 6GM8 
so I`m pretty good but 7308 would be great because it`s been hyped so much (It`s like reference tube) and would like to compare it with everything else I have. We´ll see :wink:

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #3,692 of 8,309
So I ordered some tubes the other day..before a lot of dialog here...I think they will be neat to try

Should have this one tomorrow - Note one has the red dot - not exactly vintage (1986 and 1991)
~~Voskhod 6N23P

And

~~Vintage Amperex Tube 6GM8 / ECC86 - should have it Monday

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3,693 of 8,309
Congrats on that Amperex 6GM8/ECC86 ! If I may ask, how much did it cost? Those are really rare and I`m lucky to have one.
If it`s the same tube on pic that you bought (⊿8J3) then yours should be made 2 weeks before mine (⊿8J5).

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,694 of 8,309
Today's project...

A friend of mine has a T1 that he uses exclusively as a DAC.   He was looking for a pair of short, flexible RCA cables to help keep clutter to a minimum.   After looking around and not really finding what he was looking for that was reasonably priced, I decided to make up a pair for him.   They're right around 1ft long.  

24 awg silver plated copper wire, twisted pair construction.  Nylon braided sleeving, Kester silver solder and Neutrik/REAN gold plated RCA connectors with built-in boots/strain reliefs:

-Mike

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,695 of 8,309
  Congrats on that Amperex 6GM8/ECC86 ! If I may ask, how much did it cost? Those are really rare and I`m lucky to have one.
If it`s the same tube on pic that you bought (⊿8J3) then yours should be made 2 weeks before mine (⊿8J5).

Does $14.99 and free shipping sound too high ? LOL

Hoping it IS what it appears

another picture

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3,696 of 8,309
15$ for it is superb deal! But I got it even cheaper, more than half cheaper ;D Maybe I already asked but what cans are you using? So I could predict your outcome little.

Today's project...

A friend of mine has a T1 that he uses exclusively as a DAC.   He was looking for a pair of short, flexible RCA cables to help keep clutter to a minimum.   After looking around and not really finding what he was looking for that was reasonably priced, I decided to make up a pair for him.   They're right around 1ft long.  

24 awg silver plated copper wire, twisted pair construction.  Nylon braided sleeving, Kester silver solder and Neutrik/REAN gold plated RCA connectors with built-in boots/strain reliefs:

-Mike

Those look really good and quality is superb no doubt (Y)

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3,697 of 8,309
Dec 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #3,698 of 8,309

Rob,

Yep, it is what it appears.   The top line of the etch code starts with tN = that's the Philips type code for ECC86 (6GM8).    Take a look here for lots more info on reading the codes:  http://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB.pdf

-Mike

Yeah...the codes are making me nuts..I am out of my realm (now ask me about 12AX7's...;lol)

So two things (replaying to two posts...lol)

First, what do you make of this, GE made in Holland and advertised as ~~6GM8 ECC86 code is ~~tN2 D3A2

So my cans..SENN HD 280 Pro...BUT almost exclusively listen with these

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/monitor70   in cherry wood

They are heavy on my head but sound great...LOL

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,699 of 8,309
  Today's project...

-Mike

Mike, nice work !! Very clean

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3,700 of 8,309
I am trying very hard not to buy like 5 tubes...I haven't even taken delivery of one yet so I need to sloooooowwww...down

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3,701 of 8,309

Yeah...the codes are making me nuts..I am out of my realm (now ask me about 12AX7's...;lol)

So two things (replaying to two posts...lol)

First, what do you make of this, GE made in Holland and advertised as ~~6GM8 ECC86 code is ~~tN2 D3A2

<pic>

So my cans..SENN HD 280 Pro...BUT almost exclusively listen with these

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/monitor70   in cherry wood

They are heavy on my head but sound great...LOL

If the factory code starts with D, then it's made by the Valvo factory in Hamburg, looks like 1963.  If the price is good, grab it... should be a nice sounding tube.

LOL @ the visual of a pair of Monitor 70s strapped to your head.   Still probably lighter than my LCD-X.  Hahahah

-Mike

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,702 of 8,309
arcorob, yeah that 6GM8 looks like Valvo Hamburg and it should be nice sounding tube but you never know. Consider that you can`t expect that to sound like my "holographic" Amperex OG 6GM8. For me it would be pretty much jumping into darkness. I have few PCC88/PCC189 D coded tubes, they are good but not soundstage "kings" so to say. 6GM8 should be different thingy though.
I hope those senns 280 pro`s sound great with "holographic" tubes. As far as I know those are pretty bass heavy?  How about soundstage? If it has small headroom then it might be limiting factor to hear this "holographic" sound.

mhamel... please don`t speak about LCD-X ...making me jealous! -.- I wish I had such money!

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #3,703 of 8,309
  arcorob, yeah that 6GM8 looks like Valvo Hamburg and it should be nice sounding tube but you never know. Consider that you can`t expect that to sound like my "holographic" Amperex OG 6GM8. For me it would be pretty much jumping into darkness. I have few PCC88/PCC189 D coded tubes, they are good but not soundstage "kings" so to say. 6GM8 should be different thingy though.
I hope those senns 280 pro`s sound great with "holographic" tubes. As far as I know those are pretty bass heavy?  How about soundstage? If it has small headroom then it might be limiting factor to hear this "holographic" sound.

mhamel... please don`t speak about LCD-X ...making me jealous! -.- I wish I had such money!

Coil,

You DO know I am going to find one of those suckers...and the much whispered CCa

~~Holland made Cca tubes with the pinched waist indented glass midsections, said to be the most sonically "3D" tube ever made, of any type

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #3,704 of 8,309
Good luck finding this tube with price that keeps you alive! ;D I would just get Amperex 7308 and put money on better cans + amp imo.
But what do I know... I`m just low-budget tube hoarder ;D

Edit: Those who live in EU ( this deal is ONLY inside EU ) and want 3 very good tubes (especially for EDM but great overall tube also) for very good price then PM me and I`ll share link. Who`s first & don`t think long, gets them! :wink:

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,705 of 8,309
  Good luck finding this tube with price that keeps you alive! ;D I would just get Amperex 7308 and put money on better cans + amp imo.
But what do I know... I`m just low-budget tube hoarder ;D

Edit: Those who live in EU ( this deal is ONLY inside EU ) and want 3 very good tubes (especially for EDM but great overall tube also) for very good price then PM me and I`ll share link. Who`s first & don`t think long, gets them! :wink:

Better cans ? Better cans ?

Okay, I'll go dust off my Koss Pro AA from 1976 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back