Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #3,736 of 8,309

Yes, it does...Some other notes..Much deeper bass..clear but powerful and that fatiguing high is no longer there. The highs are detailed without be rolled off. Voices are awesome. Soundstage is wide and more important deep positionally.

I have to comment though on what I perceive as "negative thinking" (not by you Coil..just using the same reply..lol)

Its one thing to say one is just as pleased with cheap tubes, its another to make the claim that people pay premium prices because there is an expectation that the tube is x times better sounding than y. Nothing in audio works that way.

It is very true that these tubes were never designed for use in audio they nonetheless were discovered to be quite musical due to inherent build characteristics. what often drives the price is not only the sound but scarcity of the product. So the price differential is not linear. A $10 driver grade tube may sound fine, but like any audiophile hobby, someone may be willing to pay 10x that amount to get a scarcer tube that that sounds only 5% better. No one expects it to sound 10x better.

So for those unwilling to spend that, there are the $10 tubes, but don't make the statement that it is good enough for all. It is good enough for you and that's all you can speak to, For many, the Aune is a cheap toy. They spend more on the USB cable than we spend on the AUNE.

Having been through dozens of tubes in another family - I know unequivocally that each tube is unique and that uniqueness coupled with its availability drive the price and what the market will bear.

It's a general perception in audio (and many other things) that if it costs much more it must be much better - whether or not it's actually the case or not (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).  I'm quite familiar with what drives the costs.  The concept of perceived value based on cost is not a new one.  You can perceive it as negative thinking all you'd like, but that's not the case.  

I am also fully aware that many people (including myself) are willing to spend money for a small percentage of improvement.  At the same time, if I find something great-sounding - be it tubes, gear, headphones, etc - at a low cost, I will not disregard it based on that.  Before the 6DJ8 became so popular, it was also a tube that was dirt cheap in comparison to what it is now.   I have tubes that range from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars and gear that ranges from cheap DIY to several thousand dollars, and they all have strengths and weaknesses.  I've been neck-deep in this hobby (obsession?) for over 30 years.  For the record, however, you will not find me among the ultra-expensive-cable crowd, especially digital cables such as USB.

What I am saying is that it is not absolutely necessary to spend large amounts of money for good or even great sound.  Regardless of the question of tubes, the T1 itself is an prime example of that.   I also said that there's nothing wrong with either approach, so please take the entire post into context. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,737 of 8,309
how would same of the experts here rate the sound quality of this unit in comparison to more expensive headphone amps (true tube amps)  ,I'm asking because it seems to me like this unit doesn't get much recognition on other forums due to not being tube amp 

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3,738 of 8,309
Mhamel,

I agree with some of what you said. I too do not disregard items because of a lesser price (the AUNE is a good example, another is the Art Phono DJ Pre which is a $50 phono stage that stomps some of the competition up to several hundred dollars).

As to tube history, the 6DJ8 is in good company. ALL tubes were cheap in their heyday. The market that has driven them up is perceived sound quality and scarcity. People are not dumb. They will pay $100 for a tube over a $10 tube because there is enough research to tell them that the $100 tube WILL sound better and that they have sensitive enough equipment to realize its full potential.

I also agree (to a degree on the cables ESPECIALLY USB..Don't get me started...lol) but I have heard tangible improvements with some cables.

Anyway, peace and sorry if I sounded like I was picking at you..not my intent.
bigsmile_face.gif
 If it sounded that way I apologize.

enjoy

Rob

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #3,739 of 8,309
Coil ..shoot me now..lol

Guess what ? I think the GE 6GM8/ECC66 from Holland sounds better overall. Tried that on out on the same music. Much cleaner and nicer bottom end. Really cool soundstage. I would say it is the equivalent of the Amperex with a much cleaner, clearer bottom end.

Go figure ...but then again we must remember, everything is going to sound different on each system.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #3,740 of 8,309
Glad you like that GE. Yes, Amperex 6GM8 has maybe "recessed" bottom end at first, I thought same about my tube in beginning but after burning some time it got more "even". About clean & clear - I have nothing to say about that part with my tube, it`s most revealing, transparent & clear sounding tube I have probably and there is no match in terms of "3D soundstage". Also, imho, there are no rolled-off highs and soundstage feels "endless", especially with my HD-681 mk2 cans. Give it some time to burn in :wink:
But yes, there are many nuances that come into play like I said in my long post. 

Can you give exact code of that GE and Amperex 6GM8?

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #3,741 of 8,309
Exact codes

Amperex  - /|8J3

GE - TN2
         D3A2

What does it mean ? (not good at reading THESE date/manufacturer codes)

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #3,742 of 8,309
  Exact codes

Amperex  - /|8J3

GE - TN2
         D3A2

What does it mean ? (not good at reading THESE date/manufacturer codes)

Rob,

Amperex is 1968, manufactured in Herleen, Holland.

GE is 1963, manufactured in the Valvo plant in Hamburg Germany.   Despite the printed label, it was not made in Holland

-Mike

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,743 of 8,309
Thanks Mike !!!

I really do like the GE and will be doing some critical listening this weekend. I may also do a moratorium on tube purchases for a while as I know what it is like to OCD (who me?) on the search for the PERFECT TUBE...LOL

Again my thanks for the decryption...

Rob

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #3,746 of 8,309
You should tooootally get.... started on reading the first post. Just saying.

i agree with you, and i read what joeq70 wrote on first post, but did not get answer on my question.
Also, i am new in hi-end word, special in tubes, don`t have any experience or knowledge about them.
so off topic, can you give some links where i can get some basic info about tubes (special which are compatible with Aune) ? :)

thank you.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #3,747 of 8,309
how would same of the experts here rate the sound quality of this unit in comparison to more expensive headphone amps (true tube amps)  ,I'm asking because it seems to me like this unit doesn't get much recognition on other forums due to not being tube amp 
I wouldn't really compare them at all because of what I highlighted. Other tube amps are dependant on the dac/source that's feeding it. Aune T1 IS the dac. You can compare the amps in which case I would rate it low. I don't much like the SS amp that's in the T1, I find it bright, artificial and tinny. But the dac, It's a great dac that outperforms others IMO.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #3,748 of 8,309
i agree with you, and i read what joeq70
 wrote on first post, but did not get answer on my question.
Also, i am new in hi-end word, special in tubes, don`t have any experience or knowledge about them.

so off topic, can you give some links where i can get some basic info about tubes (special which are compatible with Aune) ? :)

thank you.
Sure, Here.

Not to be snarky but... if you did read the first post, at the bottom is a link to Salvatore's post with tons of info.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #3,750 of 8,309
  guys, which lamp you suggest for this DAC is best for electronic music?

thank you.

for electronic 
I really like my Valvo (Red label) ,same family as 
TELEFUNKEN
SIEMENS
VALVO
LORENZ (punchy bass)
These tubes are usually characterized by an impressive open "air" at the top end. The soundstage is large great 3-D image, bass is tight and accurate, dynamic
 and to some ears their lack of midrange warmth may be heard as bright. I tend to think of them as accurate, and their clean, focused sonic image is astonishing

I recently compared Amperex vs. Valvo for electronic music and Valvo came on top at list for me and my headphones 
@MrEleventy 
I wouldn't really compare them at all because of what I highlighted. Other tube amps are dependant on the dac/source that's feeding it. Aune T1 IS the dac. You can compare the amps in which case I would rate it low. I don't much like the SS amp that's in the T1, I find it bright, artificial and tinny. But the dac, It's a great dac that outperforms others IMO.

thank you ,I'm not sure if you familiar with "Project Ember" or any other  products from  garage1217 and was wondering how they compare to T1 or is there anyway you can improve T1 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back