Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,706 of 8,309
How is it possible that tubes from the 1960's still work? Obviously I'm a tube-noob, but dang I would think even unused tubes would have degraded or something.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #3,707 of 8,309
  Today's project...

A friend of mine has a T1 that he uses exclusively as a DAC.   He was looking for a pair of short, flexible RCA cables to help keep clutter to a minimum.   After looking around and not really finding what he was looking for that was reasonably priced, I decided to make up a pair for him.   They're right around 1ft long.  

24 awg silver plated copper wire, twisted pair construction.  Nylon braided sleeving, Kester silver solder and Neutrik/REAN gold plated RCA connectors with built-in boots/strain reliefs:

-Mike

great one Mike! I made interconnects myself too, and have tried various connectors.. Neutrik/Rean/Yongsheng are very good and easy to work with.. and if you have the chance, or not sure if you already did, try it with Canare plugs.. they are just amazing. both build and sonic quality alike..

How is it possible that tubes from the 1960's still work? Obviously I'm a tube-noob, but dang I would think even unused tubes would have degraded or something.

I can help you "throw" them away!
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,708 of 8,309

Nope...unless the vacuum is broken ..no way to degrade,

A video on how they are made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4WVRKkmww

In the 50's, 60's and 70's, tube production had reached its pinnacle of perfection. The equipment, materials, etc. much as we have such sophistication in computer chips today.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #3,709 of 8,309
Dec 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #3,711 of 8,309
So first tube roll for my T1

6H23N (not an n, upside down U)

date - 10-86

Russian tube..He listed as ~~Voskhod  6N23P...hmmm..

Well, I paid $9.00 for 2 (he would not split them) - Tests as new but

So irrelevant because how does it sound ? Nothing at all to write home about. Its a tube. It works.

Tried a variety of song types and while it keeps the vocals centered (mostly) they do not sound 3D ..I am not sure how to put it except to say it made my system sound cheaper ...does that make sense...so these go to the "nope" pile.

Cant wait till Monday when I get two more to try
Amperex 6GM8

~~6GM8 ECC86 Vacuum Tube (GE Label) made in HOLLAND

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #3,712 of 8,309
^^
6H23N (not an n, upside down U) 

it's Russian "P" 
I got two of this (they were also my first tubes )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161153073863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

they sound just like you described, (double support ) supposed to be better
P.S. I did ordered  6H27P  1969 (double support/wire that you linked earlier ) 
this one should arrive  any day
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/200988005021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 

you will like Amperex for sure

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3,713 of 8,309
  ^^
it's Russian "P" 
I got two of this (they were also my first tubes )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161153073863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

they sound just like you described, (double support ) supposed to be better
P.S. I did ordered  6H27P  1969 (double support/wire that you linked earlier ) 
this one should arrive  any day
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/200988005021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 

you will like Amperex for sure

Thanks Spacequeen

I am sure I will..I have been around tubes enough to know there are good ones, so so ones and then REALLY good ones...I am just glad to be playing with tubes again as my Velleman is all set. Hmmm...maybe I can get a tube turntable...LOL

I often thought of getting a tube preamp but I just like my Marantz too darn much to swap it out...

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3,714 of 8,309
That Amperex will wipe ass with that 6N23P in terms of "3D" soundstage. I belive you will know soon what "holographic sound" means :wink: Hope your cans can produce that!
Hope that GE 6gm8 is good also.

You should have read more impressions from this thread about russian tubes.
1st - they are quite foward & intimate sounding. 2nd - soundstage isn`t large. According to my experience & many others impressions in this thread, I would say it`s smaller than average tube has. Rocket should be most airy sounding out of them but be aware - there are different labeled rockets out there. Salvatore had the "right" one if I remember correctly. Use thread search and you should find info about different rockets.

spacequeen7, don`t forget to write detailed impressions about 6N27P because as far as I know it has not been discussed here before. Interested in those. If they are near good as my Amperex 6GM8 then will maybe get a pair.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #3,715 of 8,309
  That Amperex will wipe ass with that 6N23P in terms of "3D" soundstage. I belive you will know soon what "holographic sound" means :wink: Hope your cans can produce that!
Hope that GE 6gm8 is good also.

You should have read more impressions from this thread about russian tubes.
1st - they are quite foward & intimate sounding. 2nd - soundstage isn`t large. According to my experience & many others impressions in this thread, I would say it`s smaller than average tube has. Rocket should be most airy sounding out of them but be aware - there are different labeled rockets out there. Salvatore had the "right" one if I remember correctly. Use thread search and you should find info about different rockets.

spacequeen7, don`t forget to write detailed impressions about 6N27P because as far as I know it has not been discussed here before. Interested in those. If they are near good as my Amperex 6GM8 then will maybe get a pair.

Coil...tell us how you really feel...LOL

The Russian tube was ordered before I knew better...LOL

I keep telling you..I don't use the "cans" much at all and my speakers are more than equipped to handle the 3D soundstage...
blink.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,717 of 8,309
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3,718 of 8,309
I keep telling you..I don't use the "cans" much at all and my speakers are more than equipped to handle the 3D soundstage...
blink.gif

Then Amperex 6GM8 should be bliss to you! I hope you won`t be disappointed :wink: Just a note, if you haven`t used to analytical listening to detect differences in tubes then it might not be SO large difference as you imagined but 6GM8 is easy to "notice", in good way imho.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #3,719 of 8,309
  Then Amperex 6GM8 should be bliss to you! I hope you won`t be disappointed :wink: Just a note, if you haven`t used to analytical listening to detect differences in tubes then it might not be SO large difference as you imagined but 6GM8 is easy to "notice", in good way imho.

Hmm..I would not worry about my critical listening skills or ability to detect subtle differences. Its all good. Speaking of all good

what can you tell me about the tube in the left 6GM8 ECC86 Amperex Made in Holland with the A frame..thanks !

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3,720 of 8,309

what can you tell me about the tube in the left 6GM8 ECC86 Amperex Made in Holland with the A frame..thanks !

Rob,

Without seeing the etch code, hard to tell more than the general age based on construction.   A-Frame dimpled disc getter means means it's 1970 or newer.

Do you have another photo that shows the codes at the bottom?

Thanks,
  -Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back