Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #3,616 of 8,309
Oh okay...very good to know....I thought I had a way to try the 7 or 8 12AU7's I have...oh well...time to start trying a new tube line...LOL

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,617 of 8,309
I just purchased a 6922 jan sylvania tube and am quite disappointed. I cannot notice any improvement at all, actually, the new tube sounds worse than the original 6922EH. How real is time burn in/will this get better with time? I see nothing visually wrong with the tube, but I am new to this.

Should the Jan be an obvious improvement?

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #3,618 of 8,309
I just purchased a 6922 jan sylvania tube and am quite disappointed. I cannot notice any improvement at all, actually, the new tube sounds worse than the original 6922EH. How real is time burn in/will this get better with time? I see nothing visually wrong with the tube, but I am new to this.

this is what I refer to when looking for my tubes ,it's pretty accurate and well written description of most of the tubes you can use on T1 and worth buying 
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=small_world&logNo=20153195985

I recently received  E88CC/CCa Valvo Red Logo  Röhre Valvola NOS 1965
and I'm positive I found what I was looking for ,it cost me arm and leg but oh boy this thing sounds sick ,pretty much all this 
TELEFUNKEN
SIEMENS
VALVO
LORENZ
, and other German made NOS: These tubes are usually characterized by an impressive open "air" at the top end. The soundstage is large, even in mono applications these tubes have a great 3-D image. The midrange is ruler flat, and the bass is tight and accurate. These tubes have a fine sense of dynamics, and most are 
impressively quiet
. These are
not "warm" tubes
, and to some ears their lack of midrange warmth may be heard as bright. I tend to think of them as accurate, and their clean, focused sonic image is astonishing. My personal favorites. The top types are as would be expected: the 7308/E188CC, the Cca, and the 6922/E88CC. The Cca is a very special 6922 made for the German government for telecommunications. They are excellent tubes, as good as any 7308.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #3,619 of 8,309

O_o That`s really weird that you can`t notice any improvement and find it even worse! ;S Green label JAN Sylvania 6922 should definitely be improvement over 6922EH ! First difference you should notice is better & more "foward" mids section + tighter bass. Soundstage is more or less same. Is this your first NOS tube? If you haven`t done analytical comparing before then maybe your ears aren`t used to finding differences. Also, what headphones are you using? 
Btw, there are different label Sylvania`s, are you sure you got Green label JAN Sylvania 6922? Maybe yours is later production (worse sounding?) or it has reached to it`s "end of life"? 

My tube is labeled like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6922-Sylvania-Electronic-Tubes-/251024184077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7235130d 
 Except my tube has different number: 322 and next to it is EAD and there is also vertical number 7002 near the right side of labeling.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #3,621 of 8,309
  with amperex orange globe the sound of sennheiser hd 650 is good? i see that is a good combination for rock music, but i don't know if aune t1 is enough... hd 600 can be driven better?

HD 600 and 650 weaknesses ;
WEAKNESSES LACKS DETAIL: The HD600 has a very smooth sound that can sometimes feel slow and slightly blurred. The HD600 is not the last word in terms of detail retrieval.

TOO SMOOTH: The HD650 can sometimes sound suffocated in its own warmth. It can sometimes sound as though it is attempting to lull you to sleep.

TREBLE:....

so I would look for a tube that can help you in that department..just my 2c 

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #3,623 of 8,309
Dec 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #3,624 of 8,309
I thought the same things .Two came to mind

1) Needs burn in
2) Forgery ?
3) Bad tube ?

Okay that's three...but those are pretty steady tubes.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #3,625 of 8,309
Thanks for the tube, but i will take it in a second time... Now i'm trying to understand which headphone il better for aune t1,and my doubt was about sennheiser hd 600 or hd 650... I have read that the second il good for rock, but i don't know il aune t1 can drive them, in case i will buy hd600.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,626 of 8,309
well folks, my T1 is in the house, up and running and burning in as we speak.

I have to say I am impressed. Not a huge OVERWHELMING bang but I never expected that considering my source is primarily XBOX Music downloads. what I did notice

wider, more holographic soundstage
The vocalist is nicely forward and I can literally hear them close to the mic (I cant describe it but it is better)

It can be a bit on the bright side but I think that can be attributed to the tube, burn-in, etc. Not overly but a tad. We WILL remedy that..LOL

So in my opinion, I think I gained 5 to 10%. Doesn't sound like a lot? It is huge. In the audiophile world, you can spend hundreds to thousands to get a 2% increase. For $159 to get even a 5% better in an already tuned system is awesome.
beerchug.gif

I used the supplied USB (seemed decent but may upgrade) and connected to my system using XLO HT Pro cables (no I did not spend $200 on them, they were a GIFT !!!)

Thank you all...now on to some basic tube rolling (damn..why couldn't they make it work with 12AU7's ..lol)

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #3,627 of 8,309
O_o That`s really weird that you can`t notice any improvement and find it even worse! ;S Green label JAN Sylvania 6922 should definitely be improvement over 6922EH ! First difference you should notice is better & more "foward" mids section + tighter bass. Soundstage is more or less same. Is this your first NOS tube? If you haven`t done analytical comparing before then maybe your ears aren`t used to finding differences. Also, what headphones are you using? 
Btw, there are different label Sylvania`s, are you sure you got Green label JAN Sylvania 6922? Maybe yours is later production (worse sounding?) or it has reached to it`s "end of life"? 

My tube is labeled like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6922-Sylvania-Electronic-Tubes-/251024184077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7235130d 
 Except my tube has different number: 322 and next to it is EAD and there is also vertical number 7002 near the right side of labeling.

I'm using hd650s and this is my first time comparing tubes. I definitely am not used to comparing differences, but thought I would at least notice a few differences and definitely thought I would prefer the new tube, but I find myself wanting to put the old tube back in. I will use it for a week and see if the sound improves.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #3,629 of 8,309
Arcorob, I have a bunch of questions for you:

1. What is that big amp?
2. What program are you using on that tablet?
3. What headphones?
4. Did you get the Aune T1 on the $109?

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #3,630 of 8,309
  Arcorob, I have a bunch of questions for you:

1. What is that big amp?
2. What program are you using on that tablet?
3. What headphones?
4. Did you get the Aune T1 on the $109?

The big amp is a Velleman K4040 Tube power amp - 1 12AU7 phase spliter tube , 2 12AX7 input tubes, 8 6L6GC power tubes - 90wpc - All NOS early 60 tubes !
I am running Windows 8.1 with XBOX music pass for streaming
Senns HD280 Pro
No, wish I could have paid $109...paid $159 shipped via Amazon

Other notes - I am using a Marantz SR4023 as the pre and I have and have had multiple turntables (I am a vinyl nut) ..I have even built my own record cleaning machine
I use Polk Monitor 70 II's with a Polk sub . My main table is a ClearAudio Concept with Concept MC cart and a Phonomena II phono stage

I am a tube nut ! So the T1 really spoke to me...If you like tubes, this picture is my garage amp. I built a ss preamp from a kit ($22) built a box, attached it to an early 60's Motorola console amp, added some VU meters and have a little system....It sounds sweet !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back