Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 18, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #8,236 of 8,309
exSpire, the way to find the problem would be to put a nice clean sine wave through it and then probe the signal path with an oscilloscope until you find out where the signal is getting distorted. I would guess there is a pretty good chance it's the tube. I had a failing tube produce the exact symptom you are describing.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #8,237 of 8,309
Yesterday after messing about and trying to clean the entire thing, the problem was gone. I enjoyed the DAC for a few hours before turning it off. Today its making noises again (right channel, sort of a buzz, like crumpling papers). So it makes me think that it has something to do with contacts somewhere. However I tried messing around with it today again but to no avail.
Don't have an oscilloscope.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #8,238 of 8,309
Hey guys. I'm having noises coming from the right channel on my Aune T1.
Yesterday I took it apart, cleaned it up inside and somehow it worked. I figured that the problem was solved. However today the issue is back. Any ideas of what it could be?
I've taken some pictures of the boards.
Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/bP2Quvu

I can take better pictures of certain area if needed, just let me know.
1st of all - try your unit as amp only and remove the tube (source via RCA input, so that tube is bypassed). If so there are no noises, then fault is probably in tube.
Try another tube and listen if the problem stays.
Otherwise from pics everything seems ok, though, hard to see all solder points. might be also cracked/disjoined solder connection somewhere.
Btw, those main power filtering capacitors are quite junk (big black ones with orange markings) - highly recommended to replace those.
Cheap but good Panasonic FR are great replacement there, no need for high priced "snake oil" caps.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #8,239 of 8,309
Hey and thanks for helping.

Don't have any RCA cables, but I did try two different tubes. In fact, I purchased the second one thinking it may solve the issue.
Also:
Yesterday after messing about and trying to clean the entire thing, the problem was gone. I enjoyed the DAC for a few hours before turning it off. Today its making noises again (right channel, sort of a buzz, like crumpling papers). So it makes me think that it has something to do with contacts somewhere. However I tried messing around with it today again but to no avail.

Is there anything else I can try?
If I get a multi-meter, can I solve this thing?

By the way, is this correct:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elko-Panas...663561?hash=item2a71404409:g:5KsAAOSwyQtVsjVW
?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #8,240 of 8,309
Last time that crackling happened to me, the tube was faulty. But the faulty tube was caused by the faulty DAC board. I replaced the DAC board from the dealer and replaced my tube as well and its good again.

Can you try to wrap the tube up in paper or cloth so it heats up and see (hear) whether the problem persists?

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #8,241 of 8,309
Yep, those are right ones.
Sidenote - you need to install those sideways
5748594_l.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #8,242 of 8,309
Can anyone tell me if the amp section of T1SE is any good? I've read a few people's opinions and they said it sounded really good and comparable to their other more expensive amps.

I know the amp section is improved compare to the mk2. I just don't know how much.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #8,243 of 8,309
Long time lurker, about time I post on here...

I have been using the Aune T1 with my Sennheiser HD650 exclusively for quite a few years now and I love the sound... But, I also have a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO as a back up and Audio Technica AD700. And, my brother has a "terrible" set up consisting of onboard audio on his PC and some HyperX headset.

I'm thinking about handing down my Aune T1 and Beyer DT880 PRO to him and replacing the Aune T1 for myself in the process.

Is there a consensus on the "best" DAC/headphone amp for the HD650? I've been out of the loop for quite some while. The budget would be somewhere within the £300 budget. Also, it would have to be an audible upgrade over the Aune T1, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #8,244 of 8,309
Long time lurker, about time I post on here...

I have been using the Aune T1 with my Sennheiser HD650 exclusively for quite a few years now and I love the sound... But, I also have a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO as a back up and Audio Technica AD700. And, my brother has a "terrible" set up consisting of onboard audio on his PC and some HyperX headset.

I'm thinking about handing down my Aune T1 and Beyer DT880 PRO to him and replacing the Aune T1 for myself in the process.

Is there a consensus on the "best" DAC/headphone amp for the HD650? I've been out of the loop for quite some while. The budget would be somewhere within the £300 budget. Also, it would have to be an audible upgrade over the Aune T1, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Audible "upgrade" is sooo subjective, especially T1 with its rollable tube signatures.
Personally I would upgrade inside hardware parts and get some additional tubes for different signatures and be happy with it (especially when You already have some great tubes and love the sound pairing).

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #8,245 of 8,309
Four high-end tubes for T1:
First go with whatever CoiL says. I've learned tons from him.
I sold my T1 a few years back, and truth be told, the upgrade was somewhat marginal.
Anyway, I have four genuine NOS tubes that have been just sitting around:

Please LMK if interested. I'd go $125 for all.
Mullard CV24921970'sgold pins
SiemensCca1968
AmperexECC881970A-frame, Orange Globe
TelefunkenE88CC

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #8,246 of 8,309
SiemensCca1968
Dat tube should sound great.
I have have some rare Siemens E88CC goldpins from 60`s and they are my favourites paired with Fidelio X1 as they dial back bass area little and have huge holographic stage.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #8,247 of 8,309
Audible "upgrade" is sooo subjective, especially T1 with its rollable tube signatures.
Personally I would upgrade inside hardware parts and get some additional tubes for different signatures and be happy with it (especially when You already have some great tubes and love the sound pairing).
Appreciate the advice but I'm not good at the kind of mods you're suggesting, soldering and such is not something I have ever done. I have a couple of tubes and the one I'm using is the one I like the most as it gives a nice wide sound stage, I can't remember what make/model it is though so can't tell you.

Even at stock, you reckon the T1 is still fine to drive the HD650 and deliver a solid sound? I just had the itch to see if there's something "better" out there, regardless of how personal that might be.

The upgrades I see in your sig, what do they achieve exactly?

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #8,248 of 8,309
The upgrades I see in your sig, what do they achieve exactly?
In short summary - tighter/punchier and more detailed bass/percussion with also overall improvement in micro-details and clarity/layering.
Yeah, those mods aren`t so easy but personally I feel no need "upgrading" my gear as it just sounds flawless for my ears and I can enjoy music without thinking on gear :wink:

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #8,249 of 8,309
In short summary - tighter/punchier and more detailed bass/percussion with also overall improvement in micro-details and clarity/layering.
Yeah, those mods aren`t so easy but personally I feel no need "upgrading" my gear as it just sounds flawless for my ears and I can enjoy music without thinking on gear :wink:
Thanks for explaining. In all honesty, the only reason I was looking to move on from the Aune T1 is because my brother would love it and that would leave me with an open slot for myself to get a new shiny headphone AMP/DAC.

Alternatively, seeing as I've been really happy with the T1 and HD650 for many years, I'm still going to hand down my Beyer DT880 PROs to my brother. What would be a good AMP/DAC/Soundcard to drive those?

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #8,250 of 8,309
Long time Aune T1 owner. Love it. Still working great.

I moved my office upstairs from my main beefy computer rig, and ran a usb extender via cat6. Everything works great, but when I use all 4 ports of the hub, I am getting constant power shortages.

Do any of you know how much current the Aune T1 draws from the USB signal cable. I have the supplied power supply plugged in, but I am trying to rule out whether it is the Aune or the USB mic drawing too much current.

Nothing on the Aune website caches lets me know this.

Thank you if you can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back