Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 10, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #8,266 of 8,309
Some others earlier have mentioned the new Aune T1 s 32-bit. I just received mine a few days ago. I'm a long-time user and fan of the T1SE mk3, and this new generation is a major upgrade, in my opinion. The soundstage, holographic impression, and detail in the new unit are considerably more impressive than that of the older units. And that is using the stock Electro-Harmonix tube! I used the Amperex Orange Globe in my older T1SE, which sounded great, but even with the stock tube the new generation sounds better, like, quite a lot better. I am quite wowed, for $289 (I got mine on Amazon). Absolutely worth the upgrade. Will be interesting to try some of my other tubes (Amperex Orange Globes nd Amperex PQ).

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #8,267 of 8,309
Some others earlier have mentioned the new Aune T1 s 32-bit. I just received mine a few days ago. I'm a long-time user and fan of the T1SE mk3, and this new generation is a major upgrade, in my opinion. The soundstage, holographic impression, and detail in the new unit are considerably more impressive than that of the older units. And that is using the stock Electro-Harmonix tube! I used the Amperex Orange Globe in my older T1SE, which sounded great, but even with the stock tube the new generation sounds better, like, quite a lot better. I am quite wowed, for $289 (I got mine on Amazon). Absolutely worth the upgrade. Will be interesting to try some of my other tubes (Amperex Orange Globes nd Amperex PQ).
Now then, I didn't even know this existed! Thank you for the info, I'll have a good look into the new Aune! I honestly still love the original, have had it for many years now and it's never missed a beat. If this new one looks as good as you say, I might just invest and move on my T1 to my brother, along with my backup headphones (Beyerdynamics DT 880 PRO 250 Ohm). My brother is using some £20 gaming headset with LEDs and onboard sound, this would be night and day upgrade for him and a possible upgrade for me. 2 in 1 hit.

May 7, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #8,268 of 8,309
I am looking forward to buy an Aune T1se ..

I have a couple of questions:

(1) What is the difference between T1se mk1 vs mk2 vs mk3 ? what upgrades were made in each revision ?

(2) How do I know the unit I am buying is mk1 or mk2 or mk3 ?

Many Thanks

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #8,269 of 8,309
I am looking forward to buy an Aune T1se ..

I have a couple of questions:

(1) What is the difference between T1se mk1 vs mk2 vs mk3 ? what upgrades were made in each revision ?

(2) How do I know the unit I am buying is mk1 or mk2 or mk3 ?

Many Thanks
1. T1se has a new amp section which is more powerful than mk2. T1se is 240mw @300ohm according to the official statement. MK2 is only 160mw @300ohm according to here:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/aune-t1-max.php#gsc.tab=0

The DAC is DSD1793 instead of PCM1793. The other differences are mentioned here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aun...-faq-updated-on-02-14-15.633006/post-12744795

2. It's written on the unit itself. On T1SE is written "T1SE TUBE USB DAC" where on MK2 is written "T1 24BIT TUBE USB DAC"

Note: T1SE is T1 MK3. There's no T1SE MK1 or MK2. It's:
T1 MK1
T1 MK2
T1SE

There's also T1S which is the fourth generation of T1 series (MK 4). That's very different from these three units.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #8,270 of 8,309
A question:

To which of the following categories does T1se belong to: ?

(1) The tube is at the end of the analog stage after the signal has passed through many solid-state chips.

(2) Once the DAC chip converts the signal from digital to analog, the analog signal moves through connectors to the analog PCB, and then the signal is handled by vacuum tubes only without solid-state components

Many Thanks

May 9, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #8,271 of 8,309
A question:

To which of the following categories does T1se belong to: ?

(1) The tube is at the end of the analog stage after the signal has passed through many solid-state chips.

(2) Once the DAC chip converts the signal from digital to analog, the analog signal moves through connectors to the analog PCB, and then the signal is handled by vacuum tubes only without solid-state components

Many Thanks
The DAC chip converts the signal to analog, the analog signal is passed through the tube, then the signal is amplified by a SS op-amp.

It's a tube hybrid design but the difference with the general design is that the line-out signal is DAC + tube so you can amplify the signal with any amps that you want. The line-in signal passes only through the SS op-amp.
That's why it's called tube dac.

May 9, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #8,272 of 8,309
It's a tube hybrid design but the difference with the general design is that the line-out signal is DAC + tube so you can amplify the signal with any amps that you want. The line-in signal passes only through the SS op-amp.
That's why it's called tube dac.

I would add that unless you are getting a great deal on a used older unit, the T1s (ie, 4th gen) makes a lot more sense for the money these days than a mkII or mkIII.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #8,273 of 8,309
The DAC chip converts the signal to analog, the analog signal is passed through the tube, then the signal is amplified by a SS op-amp.

My(incomplete) understanding of the analog stage: When the DAC chip converts the digital signal to an analog signal and outputs the analog signal through its pins, This analog signal is a bit weak, So there is a need for an analog stage, which(usually) amplifies the signal to line level and outputs it through RCA outs or in Aune's case, it is sent to a solid state amp.

This is how Aune works: DAC chip -> DAC's analog stage -> SS amp ...

We are only concerned about the analog stage of the DAC:

There can be three types of analog stages for a Tube DACS:

(1) The first type has tube(s) only for its analog stage.

(2) The second type has a tube at the beginning of the analog stage and solid state components at the end.(notice that this is the analog stage of the DAC so this all happens before the amp stage.

(3) The third type has solid state components at the beginning of the analog stage and tube(s) at the end.

For instance, This tube DAC belongs to type (1) ..... What categories do TubeMagic D1+ and Aune T1se belong to ?

May 9, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #8,274 of 8,309
My(incomplete) understanding of the analog stage: When the DAC chip converts the digital signal to an analog signal and outputs the analog signal through its pins, This analog signal is a bit weak, So there is a need for an analog stage, which(usually) amplifies the signal to line level and outputs it through RCA outs or in Aune's case, it is sent to a solid state amp.

This is how Aune works: DAC chip -> DAC's analog stage -> SS amp ...

We are only concerned about the analog stage of the DAC:

There can be three types of analog stages for a Tube DACS:

(1) The first type has tube(s) only for its analog stage.

(2) The second type has a tube at the beginning of the analog stage and solid state components at the end.(notice that this is the analog stage of the DAC so this all happens before the amp stage.

(3) The third type has solid state components at the beginning of the analog stage and tube(s) at the end.

For instance, This tube DAC belongs to type (1) ..... What categories do TubeMagic D1+ and Aune T1se belong to ?
I'm sure it's not 1. Aune T1SE uses NE5532A to amplify the weak signal to line-level signal. I don't know whether it's 2 or 3 but I guess it's 3.

May 10, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #8,276 of 8,309
This is the DAC's analog stage right ? and by weak signal you mean the analog signal that is immediately outputted by DSD1793 ?
Yes. This post says:
Texas Instruments N5532A OPAMP for DAC section.
It is generally said that the tube section of Aune T1 series is a buffer which means the gain is 1. I don't have any proof for that but if you search "buffer" in this thread, many people would agree that the tube doesn't change the gain. So it's N5532A's job to increase the analog signal outputted by DSD1793.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back