Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #4,156 of 8,309
What ECC85 is it? Same Mullard ECC85 that lwrs10 recommended?

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #4,159 of 8,309
Can you see any etched code on glass?

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #4,161 of 8,309
NB! Everybody who are using higher voltage/current tubes - make sure you clean your NOS tube pins properly!!! I tried this other PCC85 I got (different build from earlier mentioned PCC85) and without cleaning pins it sounded crackly and distorted. After cleaning - works like a charm!

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #4,162 of 8,309
  NB! Everybody who are using higher voltage/current tubes - make sure you clean your NOS tube pins properly!!! I tried this other PCC85 I got (different build from earlier mentioned PCC85) and without cleaning pins it sounded crackly and distorted. After cleaning - works like a charm!

Thank you for the suggestion. 

What technic did you use it to clean tube pins?

Thanks in advance. 
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #4,167 of 8,309
  strong 30% spirit vinegar + baking soda :wink:

Here is a little guide I made. It might not give you so good result as mini-polishing machines etc. but it`s with little hassle and all you need for it is probably in your kitchen/bathroom.
Also, it doesn`t take so much of your busy time, just leave it for ~30min and then wash excess "coating" off and clean with alcohol. Even better result if you burn tube for ~10min after cleaning and repeat process once more.

How to clean audio tube pins with easy-to-find home chemicals without micro-scratching and -shaping pins.

1st. Materials & tools needed:

• Larger than usual ~1-1.5mm needle, hard wire or something with sharp tip.
  • Piece of thicker type paper, carton or plastic. Easy to get from used juice cartons or candy boxes. Re-use your junk! :wink:
  • Baking soda ( Sodium Bicarbonate - NaHCO3 ).
  • Spirit Vinegar or other strong type (20-30%) acetic acid.
  • Under-plate or some other „container“. One small and littlebit larger under-plate.
Both should be low in height. I use a cap from glass soup/jam can.
  • Ventilated room because smell is strong & awful (open window and little airflow is enough).
  • Some paper or cotton-stick + alcohol to wipe off acid left on pins.

2nd. Cleaning process with some pics:

• Cutting piece of paper/carton and making pin holes.

2. Mixing soda and acid.

3. Cleaning with running water, alcohol soaked cotton-sticks and drying pins.

Your done! Nice clean pins with less hassle and minimum damage to pins & leaving prints untouched! No special tools involved :wink:

Thank you so much!!!  I did it with my nail machine.

And I finished it with the vinegar. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #4,168 of 8,309

Oh boy ... oh boy ... you were 100% right  ... the sound JUMPED UP after cleaning the pins  !!!!!!   A big smile in my face !!!! 
dt880smile.png

Thank you
beyersmile.png

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #4,169 of 8,309
Do NOT use hard-polishing tips! It will thinner those pins and micro-shape! If using polishing machine - use felt or rubber tips!

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #4,170 of 8,309
all that is wayyyyyyyyy too much work.

Imho no. It`s easy. And rubber pencil wont remove corrodation/oxidation in way acid+soda does :wink:
Maybe it just seems so much work because I made this guide too much step-by-step. If you have no special tools for polishing - it`s best way by my practice.

Btw, this method can be used to clean multiple tubes at once! :wink:

Oh boy ... oh boy ... you were 100% right  ... the sound JUMPED UP after clean the pins  !!!!!!   A big smile in my face !!!! 
dt880smile.png

Thank you
beyersmile.png

Enjoy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back