Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4,141 of 8,309
To be honest , I think Aune's been using off brand capacitor knowingly. I would like to change the capacitors to better ones, but I don't think I have to skill to do it myself, so.....whatever :u since it's not the end of the world for me.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #4,143 of 8,309
  To be honest , I think Aune's been using off brand capacitor knowingly.

I think so too. C`mon guys, look at the price of this unit and what awesome sound you get it for! Even if some few caps are un-branded - who really cares if it sounds awesome? I actually do not care but tube rolling and pimping my Aune T1 is kind of hobby for me and "pumping it to max" is just even more fun! :wink:

One thing I don`t get in general - making Aune T1 with some quality caps is pretty cheap imho. Why didn`t they go for better ones? It doesn`t make any noticeable difference in price.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4,145 of 8,309
I think so too. C`mon guys, look at the price of this unit and what awesome sound you get it for! Even if some few caps are un-branded - who really cares if it sounds awesome? I actually do not care but tube rolling and pimping my Aune T1 is kind of hobby for me and "pumping it to max" is just even more fun! :wink:

One thing I don`t get in general - making Aune T1 with some quality caps is pretty cheap imho. Why didn`t they go for better ones? It doesn`t make any noticeable difference in price.

Just took my Aune X1 apart, and every cap in it is high quality.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4,146 of 8,309
hu5y8eze.jpg

Just a small teaser of some testing I am doing.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #4,148 of 8,309
hu5y8eze.jpg

Just a small teaser of some testing I am doing.

Are you experimenting X1 amp part in place of Aune T1?

Quote:
  Considering the controversy on the caps, how high are the chances that the Alps pot is counterfeit too?

This seems to be legit. At least I couldn`t detect it being different from original.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #4,149 of 8,309
In some ways I am not surprised.

Someone at Aune doing Value Engineering - swap parts to cheaper until the sound suffers (UK was good at this from TVs to art students from cambridge creating socio-economic policy, until the economy collapsed!).

Dishonestly, they are falsifying trade technical specification which is against UK law (and no doubt most in the world). This may be ignorance or simply not updating specs - will be interesting to see if Aune update specs accordingly.

What Aune SHOULD have done is create a new "Classic" model at the lower price point, keeping the original Aune T1 at its original price. That is good capitalistic business, rather than a VERY common china company trick of supplying compliant as sample unit and an inferior item as production unit.

I presume cap swapping is simple through the board, non-temp controlled off the shelf decent tip Antex soldering iron job? I ask because I sold my temp controlled stuff long ago when winding up a business using it.

I am not sure the FAQ lists the "caps no longer meet brand spec AND do not pass basic tests". Not passing basic tests is actually very significant - ok, it is not a PC which will crash, but it is a real shoddy QC and eventual lifespan issue. Bad caps are bad caps, simple as that. I presume the chips are genuine - you can emboss/print whatever you want on anything?

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #4,150 of 8,309
Okay, made my order on caps:

1. Main power supply caps: http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufr1e332/capacitor-radial-25v-3300uf/dp/1800661
2. Secondary power supply caps & headphone amp rail voltage caps: http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufm1v471/cap-alu-elect-470uf-35v-can/dp/1219475
3. Headphone coupling caps. For this I couldn`t decide (because AM series lacks some datasheet information to compare) and took both:
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eca1ham470x/capacitor-47uf-50v/dp/8767408 and http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufr1h470/capacitor-radial-50v-47uf/dp/2217571

Went through lot of options and data comparing. I ended up with all caps being Panasonic - they had best specs from options available to me (and there were quite a lot of them). Always had good experience with Panasonic products & quality :wink:

Hope these do better than stock caps! Have to wait about 2 week for them to arrive.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #4,151 of 8,309

Well put. My T1 sounds great, whatever caps it has. Also, unlike many of you, I don't have the experience, or nerve to mess around inside equipment. Tube rolling is all I can handle!

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #4,153 of 8,309
HeavenNotes, is it ECC85? What tube exactly? Impressions? Well, I can already see your smiley-sea :D Running that Pinnacle PCC85 myself mentioned earlier and I`m really loving it, actually, it stands strong against my Amperex OG GAC & Ultron SQ PCC189 and might even be better. Haven`t had time to compare.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #4,154 of 8,309
  HeavenNotes, is it ECC85? What tube exactly? Impressions? Well, I can already see your smiley-sea :D Running that Pinnacle PCC85 myself mentioned earlier and I`m really loving it, actually, it stands strong against my Amperex OG GAC & Ultron SQ PCC189 and might even be better. Haven`t had time to compare.

Hello

Yes, it is an ECC85.   I have to say my Amperex 7308 Gold pin  is so so so far away better sound. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #4,155 of 8,309

Hello

Yes, it is an ECC85.   I have to say my Amperex 7308 Gold pin  is so so so far away better sound. 

I received the ECC85 today and IMO is dark for for my taste.  Sound stage is no so good. 

Update after cleaning the pins:  Oh boy ... the sound is very close to the Amperex 7308  and I bought this Telefunken Tube  used for 12 $  .  It has less sound stage.  It is a warmer sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back