AUNE S6 DAC/AMP Combo
Jan 19, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #31 of 86
Very nice, but I'll never understand why they made the sampling rate text much larger than the volume level text on the display. I might only glance at the sampling rate once, if at all, while I would likely adjust and check the volume level more frequently. Maybe that's just me.

I currently have a X1s, and it has been a solid performer. Haven't had any issues over USB or with any of the ins or outs. I quite like it. I hope the S6 provides the same level of performance.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #32 of 86
New driver (v3.34). 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #37 of 86
Auditioned the S6 (USB/ASIO) with HD650.
The amp section sucks. Plenty power but poor dynamics, grainy and below average refinement.
The DAC section is okish but for a $200 stuff tops, not for the price this unit sells. One tone bass and artificial timbre. Lacks Dynamics and resolution big time. Things might get better with AES, will try it later.
As a consolation, S6 was at least better than the Aune M1S DAP. That ESS treble/tone is migraine inducing.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #38 of 86
  Auditioned the S6 (USB/ASIO) with HD650.
The amp section sucks. Plenty power but poor dynamics, grainy and below average refinement.
The DAC section is okish but for a $200 stuff tops, not for the price this unit sells. One tone bass and artificial timbre. Lacks Dynamics and resolution big time. Things might get better with AES, will try it later.
As a consolation, S6 was at least better than the Aune M1S DAP. That ESS treble/tone is migraine inducing.

I'll say that the bass isn't the star of the show, but I have to ask what other headphones and music files you used with the S6 besides the 650. Sounds to me like you used something very high impedance. 

Also, this is a DAC with a built in headphone amplifier, but at the end of the day it's a DAC. There's a amplifier that goes with this unit, the S7.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #40 of 86
I'll say that the bass isn't the star of the show, but I have to ask what other headphones and music files you used with the S6 besides the 650. Sounds to me like you used something very high impedance. 

Also, this is a DAC with a built in headphone amplifier, but at the end of the day it's a DAC. There's a amplifier that goes with this unit, the S7.

HD650 is the only hp I used. Yep, I understand its primarily a DAC hence was not bothered by the poor amp section.
However, the DAC section aint great either. It doesn't suck but even a mojo does better and mojo by itself sounds very average at best.
I do have a feeling that USB isnt doing the S6 any justice. I plan to give it another shot later with AES.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #41 of 86
Hey guys, could you help me out here? I'm not too savvy on this headphone thing and I'm new to the game.

After doing a lot of research I jumped from some silly usb headphones to the following gear:

-  HIFIMAN HE-560s
-  Aune S6 Dac/amp combo

At first I was using it with the single ended connection and using Foobar2000 as my player. I was hitting 100 on volume and to me it's not loud enough. I went to the specs and I noticed the balanced output is A LOT more powerful.

So I went ahead and got a balanced cable. 

The difference between single ended and balanced is minimal. I'm not sure if this should be the case. I can still get the volume to 100% and it's not like SUPER loud or anything.

I could listen to this like this, not entirely happy because of the money I paid but a few things might be going on here:

a. The headphones are fake (I did get them on a deal on eBay)
b. The headphones are good but the Amp isn't powerful enough to drive them?
c. There's something not working properly on my PC or setup?

I mean shouldn't I be hitting 80 on the volume dial and getting enough power? Shouldn't an amp have enough power to drive these headphones to the point where it hurts? not that I want it to hurt but the results that I am getting are mediocre IMO.

I'm still on my return window on all my gear, I spent a lot of money and I just want it to be good.

I could return the S6 and get an X1s X7s combo instead. Or get a Schiit Jotunheim but according to the specs the output power on the balanced out is the same as the Aune S6.

Are my headphones a fake? are the HE-560s too hard to drive even for an Aune S6? 

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #42 of 86
If the S6 has a gain switch, verify it is set to high (sorry if that's too obvious, I've overlooked the obvious myself many times) .

Also, the aesthetically matching S7 amp has higher output power and may be a really good addition paired with your S6. mtoc offered some comments about the S7 in the S6/S7 thread. I would add that unlike the X7S I don't think it's pure class A, but am not certain that really makes a major difference to the end user as even if A/B may run at A in most listening scenarios.

I would love to see some reviews from S7 owners, though, about their impressions,as I haven't seen much yet. If it is a neutral, relatively uncolored balanced amp. at this price I would be very interested, but the lack of reviews gives me pause.

S7 impressions, anyone?

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #43 of 86
  If the S6 has a gain switch, verify it is set to high (sorry if that's too obvious, I've overlooked the obvious myself many times) .

Also, the aesthetically matching S7 amp has higher output power and may be a really good addition paired with your S6. mtoc offered some comments about the S7 in the S6/S7 thread. I would add that unlike the X7S I don't think it's pure class A, but am not certain that really makes a major difference to the end user as even if A/B may run at A in most listening scenarios.

I would love to see some reviews from S7 owners, though, about their impressions,as I haven't seen much yet. If it is a neutral, relatively uncolored balanced amp. at this price I would be very interested, but the lack of reviews gives me pause.

S7 impressions, anyone?

Hi Thanks for replying.

First thing I checked was to see if it had a high/low gain switch. It doesn't. 

To be honest, it the S6 sounds Amazing, but the volume output through balanced is just not enough for the 560s. I don't see the point of paying more for the S6 over the Jotunheim (unless you need DSD with all of your body). TBH the Jot is prettier and the specs seem similar yet the Jot high gain switch helps with the He-560. 

There's a new review of the S7 from aornic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYoOvny3Tg&t=481s

But IMO is this really worth over $1200 (the combo S6/S7)? I have the S6 but I'm about to return it as I don't want to spend $1200 at least not for now. I think for now I'll keep the Jot. Until someday I can get some thing like the iFi iCan Pro. 

Heck, even the NFB-28 would be a lot better and a lot more powerful than the S6/S7 combo. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #44 of 86
I wanted to chime in and say that I received the S6 review unit. Many thanks to Aune for giving me a chance to participate in this tour.

First things first, the S6 is reassuringly hefty, it caught me off guard when first unpacking it. It is quite easy to operate and not too hard to figure out how to switch connections. I am quite pleased by the array of input and output connections offered by the S6. Even more so, little touches like having a second set of port labels printed upside down, so one can identify ports should they be looking from above, makes it clear that design and engineering team at Aune have put a lot of thought into designing the S6. 

I do wish the chassis was flat instead of curved, as it would make it easier to stack with other components, but that is a personal preference, and the curved edges do give it a certain visual flair.

So how does the bugger sound?

This about sums up my reaction when first listening to the S6

I listened to the HD600 out of the balanced port, using my custom Venture Electronics cable and MY WORD! First thing I immediately noticed was the AIR.

I could all too easily hear and delineate the spacing between instruments, as in the air between instruments. You can easily picture where the instruments are situated, some a little to the front, some further back. Live music has never sounded better to my ears. And oh god the dark background! The soundstage, separation and layering was just superb, combining to give an effortlessly natural presentation, taking my HD600 to heights never heard before (by my ears that is). 

IMO it is at the very least every bit as good as my Geek Out V2+ Infinity and definitely at the same level as the iFi iDSD Micro, if not better in some areas. Mind you, these are VERY early impressions and I will do a more detailed comparison at a later date but thus far my impressions have been solid.

I went in with my expectations in check and much like the M1S, the S6 was a stunner! The performance on display was nothing short of tantalizing. 

My wallet hates you Aune Audio lol.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #45 of 86

But IMO is this really worth over $1200 (the combo S6/S7)? I have the S6 but I'm about to return it as I don't want to spend $1200 at least not for now. I think for now I'll keep the Jot...

Wondering how the Jot is working out for you, LDBaha. I'm now strongly considering going with it rather than the S7 as there are so many more reviews and impressions of the Jot, mostly very favorable. Some note it can be a bit shrill. What are your impressions of the Jot and apart from ability to drive your cans well, how does it differ from the S6 sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back