AUNE S6 DAC/AMP Combo
Apr 6, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #47 of 86

Wondering how the Jot is working out for you, LDBaha. I'm now strongly considering going with it rather than the S7 as there are so many more reviews and impressions of the Jot, mostly very favorable. Some note it can be a bit shrill. What are your impressions of the Jot and apart from ability to drive your cans well, how does it differ from the S6 sound signature?

I'm currently on a trip so I haven't had the chance to try it out and compare. I'll be back on the 11th

I still haven't returned my S6 so I will be able to do a side-by-side comparison between the S6 and the Jot. I'm no audiophile and don't have the rhetoric to do so, but I'll try my best. What I've heard (little) about the S7 is that you should only get it if you really need like the left/right 3-pin XLR, otherwise it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

I ordered some XLR interconnects from Monoprice so I can use the S6 as a DAC and the Jot as an Amp. So I'll be able to compare the S6 to Jot and the DAC from S6 to the DAC from the Jot. If I like it enough I might keep it as a balanced DAC. I wish I had a Modi2 Multibit to compare or something cheaper. 

@RedJohn456 Hey nice little mini-review. I have the S6 and I think sound-wise it's fantastic. But with Orthos It just doesn't have enough power. I can go all the way to 100 Volume on balanced and it doesn't get loud enough (I have HE-560 balanced output.). How are your impressions when it comes to power on the S6? I've heard that for dynamics is great, but IMO not so much for Orthos. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #48 of 86
Appreciated.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #49 of 86

I'm currently on a trip so I haven't had the chance to try it out and compare. I'll be back on the 11th

I still haven't returned my S6 so I will be able to do a side-by-side comparison between the S6 and the Jot. I'm no audiophile and don't have the rhetoric to do so, but I'll try my best. What I've heard (little) about the S7 is that you should only get it if you really need like the left/right 3-pin XLR, otherwise it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

I ordered some XLR interconnects from Monoprice so I can use the S6 as a DAC and the Jot as an Amp. So I'll be able to compare the S6 to Jot and the DAC from S6 to the DAC from the Jot. If I like it enough I might keep it as a balanced DAC. I wish I had a Modi2 Multibit to compare or something cheaper. 

@RedJohn456 Hey nice little mini-review. I have the S6 and I think sound-wise it's fantastic. But with Orthos It just doesn't have enough power. I can go all the way to 100 Volume on balanced and it doesn't get loud enough (I have HE-560 balanced output.). How are your impressions when it comes to power on the S6? I've heard that for dynamics is great, but IMO not so much for Orthos. 

I don't have any planars on hand to test unfortunately, but it has been able to drive all my headphones well. Can drive my HD600 without breaking a sweat. But I wouldn't be surprised if they struggled a bit with headphones with a much larger impedance. Might have to go with an external amplifier in that case. My feeling is that the S6 DAC is more the star of the show, rather than the built in amp (thats not to say the amplifier is bad by any stretch of the imagination). 

If you are going balanced, the Aune S7 might be worth looking into, or the Venture Electronics RA 2.0 Balanced edition.

But yes, it does appear to perform well with the dynamic driver headphones in my collection.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #51 of 86
My S6 came today, after about a two week wait. Ordered it via eBay and it came from Hong Kong. So I'm not really surprised it took so long. Anyway, I mainly wanted it because I kind of went in reverse and got the S7 first. I haven't been particularly impressed with the S7 alone, but then again I don't have any of my phones set up to use the balanced outlets. And I've read that those are the strong point of the S7. Now, having stacked the two units, the sound coming out of the S7 via the S6 is quite a bit more impressive. Really making my planars sing. And while I know the curved top may not be ideal for stacking, I don't think they look bad at all together.

May 6, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #55 of 86
My S6 came today, after about a two week wait. Ordered it via eBay and it came from Hong Kong. So I'm not really surprised it took so long. Anyway, I mainly wanted it because I kind of went in reverse and got the S7 first. I haven't been particularly impressed with the S7 alone, but then again I don't have any of my phones set up to use the balanced outlets. And I've read that those are the strong point of the S7. Now, having stacked the two units, the sound coming out of the S7 via the S6 is quite a bit more impressive. Really making my planars sing. And while I know the curved top may not be ideal for stacking, I don't think they look bad at all together.

Picture of the stack will be nice. Been wondering how anything is going to balance on that curved top.

May 6, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #56 of 86
IMG_20170414_212742277.jpg

May 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #57 of 86
I will admit, it's a little ungainly. I've had someone else say I should reverse them, but I like where they are now for ease of use.

May 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #59 of 86
Actually not bad.
Thanks for the pic.
Yeah probably a good idea to reverse it as the dac is wider than the amp.
If I were using the balanced outputs at all I would. As things stand I have no headphones set up to use them. Maybe eventually.

May 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #60 of 86
IMG_20170507_110309514.jpg

I reversed them, and as I thought, it made no difference in how they look stacked. FWIW, the top of the lower one does not actually touch the bottom of the upper. The feet are long enough to keep that from happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back