Aune S17 pro
Oct 16, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #76 of 2,490
The fact that all three headphone outputs are powered simultaneously is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to switch between connected headphones, i.e. I want the device to remember individual volume levels of the three outputs and have an output selector (knob & remote).

Topping A70 Pro can do this and I like it :)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #77 of 2,490
<Del>

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #79 of 2,490
The fact that all three headphone outputs are powered simultaneously is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to switch between connected headphones, i.e. I want the device to remember individual volume levels of the three outputs and have an output selector (knob & remote).

Topping A70 Pro can do this and I like it :)
Would be nice if Aune could add that feature with FW update if possible.

Oct 17, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #80 of 2,490
Sandu graciously responded to my (and others) request to compare the S17 Pro with the Burson Soloist:

Hey mate, S17 is sweeter sounding in the midrange and overall has a better flow. Soloist 3X and all Burson-made amplifiers are notorious for having amazing dynamics and delivering a strong punch in the lowest octaves, but the S17 matches the Soloist 3X in those departments. The resolving abilities of S17 are also slightly higher. Soloist 3X was a very good amp and it's still an amazing-sounding unit, but S17 matched and even surpassed it in several aspects.
Even allowing for that inevitable new product enthusiasm, this is pretty convincing. Even if the Soloist preserves a small edge, if price is a significant factor for you, there seems little reason to pay over 60% more for the Burson and even more if you get the stand (I would) and upgraded power supply (I probably would eventually; FWIW, you can get a bundle with the stand and supercharger directly from Burson that knocks $100 USD off the combined price). I'm pretty much sold on the Aune, though I need to wait almost exactly four weeks to order (November Social Security check, LOL).

BTW, Sandu also responded to requests for comparing the Violectric V222, but couldn't comment because he hadn't heard it. He thought it looked good on paper except for the Alps volume pot, which he thought was outdated today.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #81 of 2,490
Hi All,

Just added the Aune S17 Pro Headphone Amp to my setup.
First impressions are very promising, it unleashes the true potential of both my Gustard R26 and Hifiman HE6se v2.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpeg
    IMG_0512.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #82 of 2,490
Hi All,

Just added the Aune S17 Pro Headphone Amp to my setup.
First impressions are very promising, it unleashes the true potential of both my Gustard R26 and Hifiman HE6se v2.
Very nice, i have one arriving tomorrow, can’t wait

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #83 of 2,490
Got mine yesterday. Bigger than i thought and you don't want to drop one of these on your foot.

57 degrees was the most it got to, which equates to a barely warmish outer case. ( Though UK atm is pretty chilly )

Pleased so far, still 'burning it in' if that is even a thing.

1697641128803.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #84 of 2,490
I am still somewhat confused about the definition of Class-A in relation to either the gain and quiescent settings.

The manual does not provide a clear answer but it is my belief that the quiescent current defines if you operate in Class-A (100mA) or Class-A/B (50mA) independent of the chosen gain level.
This would also mean that at lower volumes you could still be in Class-A even @ 50mA.
And would a quiescent current of 100mA mean you will always be in Class-A regardless of the volume and or gain setting ?

Any ideas ?

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #85 of 2,490
I have a wonderful Singxer SA-1 amplifier, it has a different sound in low and high gain. Although both there and there are class A. Supposedly different modes of operation of transistors...

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #88 of 2,490
I am still somewhat confused about the definition of Class-A in relation to either the gain and quiescent settings.

The manual does not provide a clear answer but it is my belief that the quiescent current defines if you operate in Class-A (100mA) or Class-A/B (50mA) independent of the chosen gain level.
This would also mean that at lower volumes you could still be in Class-A even @ 50mA.
And would a quiescent current of 100mA mean you will always be in Class-A regardless of the volume and or gain setting ?

Any ideas ?
I think you are in class A driving 100ma.

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #90 of 2,490
Got mine yesterday. Bigger than i thought and you don't want to drop one of these on your foot.

57 degrees was the most it got to, which equates to a barely warmish outer case. ( Though UK atm is pretty chilly )

Pleased so far, still 'burning it in' if that is even a thing.

1697641128803.jpg
Considering only the SE output of the S17 Pro, is the Aune superior to the SE output of the RME in terms of SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back