Aune S17 pro
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #107 of 2,479
How’s the ican compared to the vio?
Two very different amps. The Violectric has a warm, full sound. It even adds a little bass. I refer to the sound as sweet or warm.

The iFi is a whole different ball of wax. In solid state mode it is very neutral. The tube mode just makes it smoother.
Bass boost is awesome with pretty much every headphone. 3D effect is great with planar's and can open them up. And it has Tons of power (14 watts per channel at 16 Ohms).

Gadgets and power vs sweet warmth.

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #108 of 2,479
does S17 has standby mode?

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #109 of 2,479
Oct 20, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #110 of 2,479
Oct 20, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #111 of 2,479
Yes, is there anyway to turn off the device beside power switch on the back.
No, the rear power switch is the only way to turn it on or off

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #112 of 2,479
Oct 21, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #113 of 2,479
strange design choice unfortunately.
Not really, lots of gear have the power switch only on the back. Schiit is perhaps the most notorious practitioner of this design; they still get lots of criticism which apparently bothers them not at all. TBH, I don't get why people make such a fuss about this. I prefer the power switch on the front too, but unless you're putting these units in a rack or on a stand that makes reaching around to the back difficult (and I'd bet that most people have desktop units, well, on their desktop) it doesn't seem much of a problem to me. My Gustard H16/X16 stack that I use for TV/Blu-Rays has both power switches on the back. They're on a table next to my chair and turning them on and off is no problem. Then again, different strokes; I'm sure that some things that I consider significant drawbacks (or virtues) would seem less than trivial to many others.

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #114 of 2,479
I don't get why people make such a fuss about this.
Cause my wife is also the stereo user. Less problems it has with basic operation means she`ll tolerate more money I spend on equipment :D
I had X16 and it`s pain in the butt with switch on the back.
Solution I found is this smart electric plug with app to control it in smartphone.
IMO power switch on the front is basic convenience, standby and on/off by remote is technology known for decades, it`s easy to implement. S17 has remote so it uses basic type IR receiver. 70$ smsl su-1 has power switch on the front which operates as standby so it`s not expensive technology either.
IMHO.

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #115 of 2,479
Cause my wife is also the stereo user. Less problems it has with basic operation means she`ll tolerate more money I spend on equipment :D
I had X16 and it`s pain in the butt with switch on the back.
Solution I found is this smart electric plug with app to control it in smartphone.
IMO power switch on the front is basic convenience, standby and on/off by remote is technology known for decades, it`s easy to implement. S17 has remote so it uses basic type IR receiver. 70$ smsl su-1 has power switch on the front which operates as standby so it`s not expensive technology either.
IMHO.
I just hate it on tube amps. My Valhalla 2 and LD MK9 will burn me a bit during shut down. I could just get up and walk around the rack, but I seem to prefer playing the "Will I get burnt tonight?" game. :grin:

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #116 of 2,479
I just hate it on tube amps. My Valhalla 2 and LD MK9 will burn me a bit during shut down. I could just get up and walk around the rack, but I seem to prefer playing the "Will I get burnt tonight?" game. :grin:

My Aune S17 pro has arrived!

I thought to compare it with my Singxer SA-1 and leave the one that will be better.
However, it turned out to be very simple to compare - right out of the box, Aune S17 pro sounds a level better than Singxer.
All of my headphones - Arya, Thekk, DC Ether С Flow received a new sound quality with this amplifier.

Arya sounds completely different now.
Lightness is gone. Increased accuracy. The background on which the music sounds has become much more "dark".
The basses have become better formed and deeper.

While it is warming up, but I am already very happy with the sound.

First impressions:
1. The sound in 100 mA mode is noticeably better than in 50 mA mode.
2. A low gain is quite enough for my headphones Arya, Thekk and DC Ether С Flow. I use them with a volume level of 20-25 units. This is quite enough.
3. The temperature rise stopped and was fixed at 57 degrees. This is a very comfortable temperature to the touch.
4. I have not found how to put this device into sleep mode. It looks like it can only be turned off by a switch located on the back wall.
5. This device gives a great sound!
I received my AUNE S17 pro about seven hours ago. first impressions are good

sound quality is excellent. there is a transparency in the sound that my other amps were missing. Background noise is absent. I am listening on my Audio-technica ATH-ADX5000 phones with a Gustard DAC-X26PRO. this new amp is replacing an older and much loved Gustard H 16. Is the difference in sound quality worth the expense?
Probably not, but listening to some of my favorite classical recordings tonight has been a real treat. For lack of a better term the aune is more "musical" then my other amps.
I did use a smsl ho 200 for a while till I noticed noise problems and distortions.

I have had it in high gain mode with the 100ma bias, unit does get quite warm. Display is saying 60 Celsius. I have it fairly load at 40

I did get better feet for it the supplied rubber pads were too low to get much airflow

The remote must be IR need to face unit for it to work

Build quality seems excellent

Am curious how the rest of my headphones sound with it and some of my iems

But biggest concern was pairing with Audio-technica ATH-ADX5000, there seems to be good synergy. I am a happy camper!!!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #117 of 2,479

sound quality is excellent. there is a transparency in the sound that my other amps were missing. Background noise is absent. I am listening on my Audio-technica ATH-ADX5000 phones with a Gustard DAC-X26PRO. this new amp is replacing an older and much loved Gustard H 16. Is the difference in sound quality worth the expense?
Probably not, but listening to some of my favorite classical recordings tonight has been a real treat. For lack of a better term the aune is more "musical" then my other amps.
I did use a smsl ho 200 for a while till I noticed noise problems and distortions.

I have had it in high gain mode with the 100ma bias, unit does get quite warm. Display is saying 60 Celsius. I have it fairly load at 40

I did get better feet for it the supplied rubber pads were too low to get much airflow

But biggest concern was pairing with Audio-technica ATH-ADX5000, there seems to be good synergy. I am a happy camper!!!

Why in high gain ? (What would the equivalent volume position be in low gain ?) + do you hear a difference between low/high gain ?

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #118 of 2,479

What headphones are you using that require high gain and high bias?
Have you tried it with any efficient headphones? I don't use IEM's, but I do have some Very efficient headphones.

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #119 of 2,479
What headphones are you using that require high gain and high bias?
Have you tried it with any efficient headphones? I don't use IEM's, but I do have some Very efficient headphones.
… as a reference my Hifiman he6se v2 that have a reputation of being notoriously heavy to drive run just fine on S17 at a low gain volume of 56.
I do prefer the 100mA (over the 50mA) quiescent current setting as it improves the overall sound quality noticeably (has no effect on the volume)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #120 of 2,479
… as a reference my Hifiman he6se v2 that have a reputation of being notoriously heavy to drive run just fine on S17 at a low gain volume of 56.
I do prefer the 100mA (over the 50mA) quiescent current setting as it improves the overall sound quality noticeably (has no effect on the volume)
Interesting. I have an iFi that does great with my HE6se V2's.

So, 100mA acts like high gain, without the extra volume?
I know that with my Schiit Valhalla 2, the high gain does sound better. But I really don't need the extra power and so I am limited to the 9:00 pot range.

Do you have any efficent headphones to try on it? Maybe Grado's, CFA Cascades, iBasso SR2's, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back