Aune S17 pro
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #1,141 of 2,341
I don't have central heating or AC here. It is cold outside [around 12C] and I have a heater in my room.
It gets pretty hot where I live [South Eastern USA] in the summer.
I am using a cheap laptop cooler underneath the S17 as well.
I don't foresee you having any issues managing heat with your amp tbh, and the laptop cooler should be more than enough, with my setup I can bring down temps by 12 or so degrees. Btw did you have the laptop cooler turned on during you listening session?

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #1,142 of 2,341
I don't foresee you having any issues managing heat with your amp tbh, and the laptop cooler should be more than enough, with my setup I can bring down temps by 12 or so degrees. Btw did you have the laptop cooler turned on during you listening session?
Yes. Originally used with my 3XP, it has been under the amp the entire time. I meant to mention it in the other posts.

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #1,144 of 2,341
Hi Folks,

I,m thinking about this amp and of course concerned if it will pair well with my ZMF Auteurs? I have seen previous comments that it works well with Hifiman HEK's so that's good but wondering if anyone has tried these with ZMFs (300 ohm)?
Thanks,!

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #1,145 of 2,341
Hi Folks,

I,m thinking about this amp and of course concerned if it will pair well with my ZMF Auteurs? I have seen previous comments that it works well with Hifiman HEK's so that's good but wondering if anyone has tried these with ZMFs (300 ohm)?
Thanks,!
Well, while I've never heard the Auteur, I do have the ZMF Aeolus. While I love the S17 with the Hifiman Arya Stealth (which had been my primary headphone well before I got the Aune amp but sound quality definitely took a jump with it) and it does a better job with the Focal Elex than any of my previous amps, it really does no favors for the Aeolus, which sounded far better on Dr. Cavalli's Liquid Platinum tube hybrid. On the S17, the Aeolus sounds a bit muddy, even veiled, and the sound stage seems somewhat compressed; people who say ZMFs do better with tubes aren't wrong. Since I was already using the Arya Stealth the vast majority of the time with the Liquid Platinum (even on the LP, I feel the Arya beats the Aeolus easily in every category except bass quantity) I'm very happy with the S17, but the Aeolus is only used rarely. YMMV.

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #1,146 of 2,341
Well, while I've never heard the Auteur, I do have the ZMF Aeolus. While I love the S17 with the Hifiman Arya Stealth (which had been my primary headphone well before I got the Aune amp but sound quality definitely took a jump with it) and it does a better job with the Focal Elex than any of my previous amps, it really does no favors for the Aeolus, which sounded far better on Dr. Cavalli's Liquid Platinum tube hybrid. On the S17, the Aeolus sounds a bit muddy, even veiled, and the sound stage seems somewhat compressed; people who say ZMFs do better with tubes aren't wrong. Since I was already using the Arya Stealth the vast majority of the time with the Liquid Platinum (even on the LP, I feel the Arya beats the Aeolus easily in every category except bass quantity) I'm very happy with the S17, but the Aeolus is only used rarely. YMMV.
Thanks for the response. I also have the Liquid Platinum which is my everyday amp and it is fine with the Auteurs. So, Maybe an S17 to up the game for my Hifiman's and Focal Elex and keep the LP as is for the ZMF's. May be better off as a 2 amp setup due to the different needs of the headphones!

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #1,147 of 2,341
Thanks for the response. I also have the Liquid Platinum which is my everyday amp and it is fine with the Auteurs. So, Maybe an S17 to up the game for my Hifiman's and Focal Elex and keep the LP as is for the ZMF's. May be better off as a 2 amp setup due to the different needs of the headphones!

I don't know about the Auteur but with the Verite it's just outstanding.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #1,148 of 2,341
Hi Folks,

Thanks,!
I tried it with my Atticus.
Sounds phenomenal together.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #1,149 of 2,341
Hi Folks,

Thanks,!
The S17, specially on it's 100ma mode, might be to rich for some of the ZMF HP line up, you can try with the 50ma because it tends to be more lean and neutral sounding compare to the 100ma mode and maybe that would serve your ZMF better, that's what I do depending the headphones and music I'm listening.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #1,150 of 2,341
I also find that the Aune S17 Pro has a magnificent sinergy with Hifiman Arya Stealth. The pairing with Sennheiser HD800s is also good but not quite at the same level as with the Arya. I would say that the amp specs suggest a better sinergy with lower impedance headphones (comparing with something like the Violectric amps that have a power curve which should make it more versatile with headphones of different impedances). I also tried it with my Focal Radiance altough I find that with these headphones you don't gain nothing special comparing with something less powerful like the Chord Mojo 2 or even a dongle DAC/headphone amp.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,151 of 2,341
Thanks everyone for your insights on this amp. I know the best test is to buy one, pair it up with my Musician Pegasus DAC that my Liquid Platinum amp currently runs off, and do some good ol’ A-B comparisons. Should be interesting and will definitely keep my ears busy for awhile :L3000:!! Fortunately the XLR cables are easy to access.

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,152 of 2,341
Unfortunately, I really don't have the space on my desktop (actually, my kitchen table in my small studio apartment) to comfortably deploy two amps. Indeed, even the size of the S17, which is significantly larger than the Liquid Platinum, is a minor annoyance. And if I had the space for a second amp solely for the Aeolus, I wouldn't opt for the LP but the Schiit Valhalla 2, a pure OTL tube amp, which sounded even better with the Aeolus than the LP. (Sadly, I believe Schiit is discontinuing the Valhalla.) I stuck with the LP since it was better with a wider range of headphones, including the Arya Stealth, that I used more often. Also, the Valhalla is single ended only and all the headphones I regularly use are set up for balanced outputs; I hate to switch cables often since connectors have always been the first thing to go south on me.

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,153 of 2,341
Unfortunately, I really don't have the space on my desktop (actually, my kitchen table in my small studio apartment) to comfortably deploy two amps. Indeed, even the size of the S17, which is significantly larger than the Liquid Platinum, is a minor annoyance. And if I had the space for a second amp solely for the Aeolus, I wouldn't opt for the LP but the Schiit Valhalla 2, a pure OTL tube amp, which sounded even better with the Aeolus than the LP. (Sadly, I believe Schiit is discontinuing the Valhalla.) I stuck with the LP since it was better with a wider range of headphones, including the Arya Stealth, that I used more often. Also, the Valhalla is single ended only and all the headphones I regularly use are set up for balanced outputs; I hate to switch cables often since connectors have always been the first thing to go south on me.
I've had the Liquid Platinum for awhile and got new Telefunken ECC88 tubes for it so that upped it's game. I don't plan on retiring it any time soon. But the S17 had gotten such good press that it may be a nice second option especially for the planar Hifiman. Just need to move some stuff around to make room. Like you the equipment selection keeps growing but the space to keep it in doesn't!

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #1,154 of 2,341
Thanks everybody for all the feedback and support. We are so glad and thankful that you like the sound of the S17 Pro which we made with our heart:)

To reply to the issues you may be concerned about:

1. The volume control of the S17 Pro is composed of an R2R chip and has 64 steps. The S17 Pro is mainly designed for large headphones. When we received user advice on volume, we took it seriously and have optimized the volume curve.The units now all use the new volume curve. If you are an earlier buyer and if it bothers you, please contact us via Email sales@auneaudio.com for a volume upgrade.

2. The S17 Pro is pure Class-A. Both 50mA mode and 100mA mode are class-A. There’s no Class-AB.

3. The 100mA mode of the S17 Pro is like the GT mode in a car, where the maximum throttle is engaged, and the car's continuous extreme mode also leads to significant energy consumption. In 100mA mode, there’s 0.2A per channel, even without headphones connected. The temperature rises noticeably faster compared to 50mA mode. High ambient temperatures and low impedance headphones can cause even faster temperature increases. Setting the jump to 50mA at 69 degrees is to ensure the stability of the device, similar to the restriction of maximum engine speed in a car. As long as the temperature is below 69℃, you can enable the 100mA mode again.

4. Any true Class A amplifier will have thermal noise due to the continuous presence of 100mA static current. The S17 Pro is already a well designed one, with a noise floor of only 4μv which is extremely low. And, as the S17 Pro is just an amplifier, if the front-end equipment has a noise floor, it will cause the S17 Pro to exhibit noise as well. If you are experiencing severe issues, please check your front-end audio source.

Hope the information helps.

Thanks for all your support. May music and joy always be with you:)

Hi, there's no price increase or changes.

Please purchase aune products from our authorized distributors (http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=/Home/Article/lists/category/68.html) and our official Amazon (amazon.com/s?me=A2AP0JEHTRG6EO) where the aftersales service is guaranteed. Aliexpress is NOT recommended as the quality and aftersales service are not guaranteed.

Hi, we have tested a 4-meter headphone cable and two 3-meter headphone cables, and we haven't observed such a situation.

The S17 Pro is a pure Class A headphone amplifier. If a cable is too long and lacks sufficient internal insulation, it may increase the overall load and potentially generate more heat.

In order to accurately assess the issue you mentioned, we would need to obtain the specific type of cable you are referring to for testing and evaluation.:)

@moonbst1 Hi, we've been replying to the issues that users are concerned about. Just to quote a few:) If your device is heating abnormally fast, please contact the seller for aftersales service. Thanks for your feedback.

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back