Aune S17 pro
May 17, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #2,341 of 2,360
What a good idea, although mine doesn't have a DAC... :wink:
Probably confuse it a little bit with the Aune S9C Pro amp/dac, which is an excellent product for the price also if you're looking for a all-in-one solution and don't want separates.

May 19, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #2,342 of 2,360
Hi all, I recently upgraded my desktop set up and added the S17 Pro.

As I live in Singapore (and we are currently going through a heatwave), I decided to proceed with the heatsink mod after reading all the thermal concerns in this trend. All components (stand, heatsink, thermal tape) were purchased from China via a local e-commerce website and cost approximately SGD$22.
IMG_5434.jpeg

I've tested the temperature for the past few days with listening sessions both in the afternoon and at night:
-50mA: In the day listening temperatures will hit about ~56-57°C and stabilise. At night, they stabilise at ~55°C
-100mA: In the day listening temperatures hit ~64-65°C and stablilise. At night they stabilise at ~63-64°C

I have a small standing fan I use to cool my room and the direction it faces just nice covers both me and the S17 pro. With the external fan on:
-50mA: ~47-50°C
-100mA: ~55-58°C

Hopefully this helps fellow S17 owners whose countries are soon to experience summer.

Coming from a JDS labs elements III Mk1, the S17 pro is simply spectacular. Pairing with the Ares 12th-1 and Hifiman Arya Organics, listening to Radiohead and Julien Baker has been a magic and transcedent experience.

Thank you all for reading.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #2,344 of 2,360
Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #2,345 of 2,360
I really enjoy my unit and it works perfect as pre-amp as using IEMs directly limits the volume scale.

There are tons of praise so here are my few don't likes

- power switch is small and on the back which is a pain to grab and switch especially when you use better power cable with bigger plug; I would love to see that on front
- remote is IR and it would add maybe 2-3 USD to make it radio; I have my unit on side and back to where I sit so can't operate remote easily and there is no port for extension receiver (like in some tv DVB units); it would be just awesome to have power on/off on remote
- LCD always on is not exactly as pleasant; it would be nice to have an option to dim or power off
- case; I don't understand why Aune decided to go without without vents or a case with radiator as such exists and they could have developed their own

1716124040660.png

May 19, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #2,346 of 2,360
I am thinking the closed design of the enclosure was intentional, it likely brings the temperature up quicker so you don't have to wait so long for the class A to sound its best. Adding a fan with temperature control would have increased cost, as would side fins. As it were, most people are elevating their units on isopucks or some other method and getting stable temps around 58-62. The attraction with this unit is the cost vs sound, pushing the unit closer to $1000 might have scared some off. Of course, having potential temp control issues doesn't attract buyers either.

I was listening to Genesis last night, and find the S17 Pro very forgiving on some of the older tracks that are nearly unlistenable on the V222. On one of the better mastered tracks I got that deep into the recording sensation with excellent spatial effects, and experienced some emotion. Synthesizers and bass sound so good on the S17 Pro.

Last note: I might be keeping both the V222 and S17 Pro, some albums sound better on the V222 and some better on the S17 Pro. I could send both units back and combine my budget to get a higher tier unit, but the gains at that level might not be much. And, having access to two different sound signatures is fun (I am heavily invested in the E3, so not looking for another set of cans right now, although I hear the Sennheiser 6 series are a good match to the V222).

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #2,348 of 2,360
Also Aune is using the same basic enclosure for their S-range. Just like they do for the X-range.
Exactly. I don't think the lack of ventilation (though I, admittedly a non-engineer, find this decision utterly wrongheaded and baffling) was intentional so as to facilitate temperature increase (or any other reason). Almost certainly in an attempt to keep the price down, Aune used their existing off the shelf large case and made only the minimal absolutely necessary changes (such as the screen). Thus, the lack of ventilation in an amp producing an unusually high amount of heat and the ludicrously inadequate feet.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #2,349 of 2,360
Exactly. I don't think the lack of ventilation (though I, admittedly a non-engineer, find this decision utterly wrongheaded and baffling) was intentional so as to facilitate temperature increase (or any other reason). Almost certainly in an attempt to keep the price down, Aune used their existing off the shelf large case and made only the minimal absolutely necessary changes (such as the screen). Thus, the lack of ventilation in an amp producing an unusually high amount of heat and the ludicrously inadequate feet.
The Mjolnir 3 is a highly vented class A amp and some have stated it that it can take 2-3 hours to sound its best. This is why I speculate that the decision for less ventilation on the S17 pro might have been intentional. When working as designed it appears to remain at a stable temperature in a climate controlled environment, and only takes about 30 min to get in the 40’s and about an hour to reach the mid 50’s.

May 19, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #2,350 of 2,360
I was not a believer at all in keeping your amp on overnight but I have started to notice I always seem to enjoy music a lot more towards the end of the day when the amp has been on for a while... might keep it on overnight for a few days to see if I still feel the same way

May 19, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #2,351 of 2,360
I was not a believer at all in keeping your amp on overnight but I have started to notice I always seem to enjoy music a lot more towards the end of the day when the amp has been on for a while... might keep it on overnight for a few days to see if I still feel the same way
It's commom to enjoy music a lot more during the night - the environmental noise is way lower and there's less ambient light so your brain can also relax and focus on the music.

May 19, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #2,352 of 2,360
If Aune made this amplifier with a fan, it could lose many customers like me who value listening in absolute silence at night.

Meanwhile, 2 months have passed and my unit has never dropped the current to 50mA. It wasn't even close to that, The temperature in the room sometimes reached 28C

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #2,353 of 2,360
I am thinking the closed design of the enclosure was intentional, it likely brings the temperature up quicker so you don't have to wait so long for the class A to sound its best. Adding a fan with temperature control would have increased cost, as would side fins. As it were, most people are elevating their units on isopucks or some other method and getting stable temps around 58-62. The attraction with this unit is the cost vs sound, pushing the unit closer to $1000 might have scared some off. Of course, having potential temp control issues doesn't attract buyers either.

I was listening to Genesis last night, and find the S17 Pro very forgiving on some of the older tracks that are nearly unlistenable on the V222. On one of the better mastered tracks I got that deep into the recording sensation with excellent spatial effects, and experienced some emotion. Synthesizers and bass sound so good on the S17 Pro.

Last note: I might be keeping both the V222 and S17 Pro, some albums sound better on the V222 and some better on the S17 Pro. I could send both units back and combine my budget to get a higher tier unit, but the gains at that level might not be much. And, having access to two different sound signatures is fun (I am heavily invested in the E3, so not looking for another set of cans right now, although I hear the Sennheiser 6 series are a good match to the V222).
I think this case was chosen because it's what they have for the higher end line of dacs and amps for some time now, a cost saving measure, you don't have to tool up for a brand new line to produce a bespoke case for the S17 if they have chosen a more optimal design for it, that simply, unfortunately it comes with a few tradeoffs which has already been mentioned and explain ad nauseam, ad infinitum on this very thread.

May 19, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #2,354 of 2,360
The Mjolnir 3 is a highly vented class A amp and some have stated it that it can take 2-3 hours to sound its best. This is why I speculate that the decision for less ventilation on the S17 pro might have been intentional.
I have a class A amp in Denafrips Artemis headphone amp, and Pontus DAC. Since both are in standby mode, I just give an hour's warmup time before usage. I never leave mine powered on overnight. But that's me.

If Aune made this amplifier with a fan, it could lose many customers like me who value listening in absolute silence at night.
It's the main reason I didn't buy a Burson amp - high heat requiring built in fan.

May 19, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #2,355 of 2,360
Another reason to closing the off the case as much as Aune did is to avoid issues with crap and dust getting and accumulating inside the amp, yep if you open up ventilation slits for the amp it cold regulate temps a lot better, but you also get into other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back